2021 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Apr 16, 2021.

1. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harpos FC
    @HarposFC
    54m
    USASARegion4 @HarposFC vs @FC_Denver is ON this
    Thursday, May 20 @ 8:30pm at
    Northfield High School
    5500 Central Park Blvd
    Denver, CO 80238.
    Fans are allowed and admission is free so come show your support

JasonMa repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Switchbacks home opener last Friday....

The stadium is nice. Great view of the Front Range from the east side stands. 70% capacity - enough to be a good crowd but we didn't have people sitting on top of us.

1-3 loss. Switchbacks scored 2' but conceded shortly thereafter. NM scored early in the 2nd half and it was 1-2 until literally the last kick of the game. We had several good chances to tie but kept shooting wide. Could easily have finished 2-2 instead.

Rapids players:

Edwards (CB) played the whole match and was pretty solid. Not at fault on the first or third goals (didn't have a good view of the second). Looks like a good USL CB and he's only 20 so may get better.

Toure subbed on as a winger and did well. Beat his man once and set up a good opportunity that wasn't finished.

Mayaka subbed on in midfield and was not as good as I hoped. Sloppy on the ball and got pushed around some. Will look for him to show better as he gets more chances.

AlbertCamus and Rod1916 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pseudo-Rapids related as Diego Rubio is not on the most recent Chilean National Team squad announced today. In his place (possibly) is born in in Stoke-on-Trent, raised in England, played for Nottingham Forest and currently Backburn Rovers, and represented England at the U19 and U20 level Ben Brereton. About as died in the wool English player as you can get...who happened to be born to a Chilean mother and English father.

Apparently there's been a movement for a bit to get him called up by fans who discovered his Chilean eligibility through Football Manager.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting. But next time post in the pseudo-Rapids related thread

JasonMa repped this.
  9. mccoy86

mccoy86 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So much disrespect for the Rapids today. The CBS crew kept saying Pulisic was the first American male to win the Champions League, not even mentioning our legend Jovan Kirovski.

(I actually don’t know if Kirovski was a Rapids legend, he left before I started really following the team. I was just curious earlier this week about Americans in the Champions League and came across him).

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Infamous more than legend

mccoy86 and SccrDon repped this.
  11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

I think it was more that Pulisic was the first to both play and win. Kirovski didn’t play in the 96-97 final, but Pulisic played today making him the first to play and win

mccoy86 and JasonMa repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  13. mccoy86

mccoy86 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sure, and I get the excitement and it’s obviously a huge achievement for Pulisic. But that is not what the announcers said, they said he was the first American male to win. It comes across as having done inadequate research. Especially when compared to someone like Paul Tenorio:

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also wasn't the first American male to play in the final. Neven Subotic, who played for the US youth teams before declaring for Serbia, played in and lost the 2013 final.

Pulisic is the first American to both play in and win the final, and the first USMNT player to play in the final.

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal is coming back to the U.S., but once again not to Denver.

(In this case its just a long weekend in Orlando for a 4-team tournament between Arsenal, Everton, Inter, and Millionarios)

Stuart95 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a couple of members of the Costa Rican delegation walking through Flatirons Mall today. With their masks on I couldn't tell if they were players or other members of the delegation.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few noteworthy things for Rapids fans:

Sebastian Anderson played the whole 90 and was pretty good. Better attacking than defending, tho - still looks like a winger that they're trying to convert into a fullback.

Michael Edwards continued to impress, until he got sent late in the first half. San Antonio #9, who apparently had a hat trick the first time these 2 teams played, had been a tool the entire half and finally elbowed Anderson and shoved him to the turf. Edwards came over to defend his teammate and got into a tussle. Both players got red cards for their trouble.

Neither Mayaka nor Toure played.

I was surprised to see Axel Sjoberg play for San Antonio. He's still very tall. I was even more surprised to see him subbed in and then out, all in the first half. Didn't seem like he was injured, so not sure what was going on there.

Stuart95, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Thanks for the scouting report/update.

I thought Mayaka was "MLS ready," at least according to his coach at Clemson.

Will we see Edwards with the Rapids if a center back sustains a long term injury?

I've thought, since 2019, that Anderson would make a very good winger. If the Switchbacks use him like Fraser does Vines, then perhaps he has more of a role pushing up the pitch and defending is left more to the center backs.

Wonder why Yapi is with the Rapids if he's not going to get any playing time?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Abe still starting in goal for the Springs?

23. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayaka did come on as a sub in the Switchbacks first home match last month. In that one short appearance, I'm not sure he was USL ready, much less MLS ready.

I think Edwards is eventually headed to MLS. He could get called up if the Rapids have a Liverpool-like crisis where every senior CB is hurt, and he might do ok.

No. Sean Melvin was in goal Saturday.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Denver lose their shot at 2026 hosting last night with the failure of Empower security to deal with the mess?

25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Let's hope not.

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.