News: 2021 new GM search

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Shea went to my wife's school (Cedar Grove) twice and was awesome! TT was all scheduled, but, at the last minute, was a no show...

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He was GM at Chicago, Phoenix and Fresno. Terrible results in all three cities.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #128 JazzyJ, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Poor form of TT to not show or to be late to a school event, but before folks conclude he’s a bad guy, want to remind people that he won the Andrew Bedard Spirit of the Game/Humanitarian of the Year Award in 2017 and 2019, and has worked with Soccer Without Borders and did all of the pandemic challenge stuff last year to try to keep kids engaged during stay at home, etc. He didn’t win those things for nothing.

NedZ and SeaJayBee repped this.
  4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He turned me into a newt!

….I got better…

5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Now I understand the Evergreen School District reference. :cool: (I retired from ESD in 2013. I was active in ETA for many years; school representative, newsletter editor, various committees, VP twice, negotiations support etc etc.)

Here is an old link showing Shea onstage at Millbrook School (Also ESD) doing the same program.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/...-launches-extended-get-earthquakes-fit-progra

The Get EQ Fit material Shea used was originally conceived by EQ trainer Bruce Morgan. Jed Mettee knew I was a teacher, contacted me about it, and we went on from there.

6. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Andrew Bedard plaque.jpg

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Cinci is about to hire Chris Albright as their new GM, so i'd say Chris Leitch is a strong favorite to move up.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Here is link to article for those with Athletic subscription.

FC Cincinnati negotiating with Union's Chris Albright for GM job: Sources https://theathletic.com/news/fc-cin...hris-albright-for-gm-job-sources/vQ6XAYUjIjTd

Highlights: Waibel was offered the job but couldn't agree on terms. He is also competing with Albright for Houston opening.

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I have no knowledge of who the "mystery candidate" is, but if I were to make a wild guess I would think Dennis Te Klose. His contract is up in LA at the end of the season. We know he was runner up to Fioranelli last time.

If by chance he were the guy they hired I would likely be done with this team. His close ties to the Mexican Federation and his hiring of old friends turn me off so much I couldn't support him. Fioranelli was a much better fit and he wasn't good enough. Te Klose would be worse.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  11. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He also has strong ties to Chivas. I was looking to see if there was overlap When Almeyda was there... if he is the mystery man and winds up getting the job, then it signals to me Almeyda is in the fold for longer than his current contract.

I'd still rather see Leitchy get it and work with Almeyda going forward.

It he doesn't already know it, I'm sure Almeyda would learn to appreciate what Leitch's experience can bring to the overall competitiveness of the team...bringing in quality grinders who can get the job done at a reasonable price.

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and jeff_adams repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Totally agree. I've said before - I think there could be a good Leitchy-Almeyda partnership if they can learn to work together. I think Leitchy respects Almeyda but could Almeyda learn to trust Leitchy? The Jebo trade was a good start but that dang concussion kind of threw a wrench into it.

I'd at least like to see it in action for one year, even if it's just Almeyda's last year. I think we're at an inflection point where we have a good core (Chofis, Nathan, Judson, Yueill, Remedi, M. Lopez, Cade, Beas(t), etc.), and with some significant $ coming off the books, we could be a pretty good team next year (cue Lucy holding the ball for Charlie Brown).

I think going all in on being Chivas USA is not the right answer. A smart blend of Latin American (or Euro) player acquisitions + MLS experience players is the way to go.

Sactown Soccer and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If Te Close was hired he'd make the same mistake Jesse made. Instead of an "international" club he would be inclined to turn us into Liga MX lite. Probably encourage Cowell to play for Mexico and even loan him to a Liga MX team. His running of the Galaxy Academy is a joke. About as ugly a hire as I could imagine. *shudder*

JazzyJ repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    You have to think it's likely Waibel goes to Houston. Like us, their fanbase is frustrated with the multitude of mistakes the team has endured since the glory days and Waibel is a recognizable name from that time. If Houston's package is competitive, then Waibel has a higher standard of living in Houston than San Jose. If they want the fanbase to be excited with the hire, they roll with Waibel.

That leaves Leitch against the mystery man. You gotta think Leitch gets the job but I never underestimate this franchise's ability to get it wrong. If they do hire Te Close they get a great big "f**k you" from me.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, I guess it's coming down to the end. Te Close for comfort, as they say.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I do wish they would end the speculation and name Fioranelli's replacement. The academy project is at an important phase and I imagine the County and Fairgrounds Management Group would like to know who they will be dealing with. The Quakes and Santa Clara County have indicated they want something in writing soon. Who will be signing that?

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  17. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Chris Leitch is still getting work in.
    Quakes have rumored to sign another player

Levante Fwd 18 Year old Saul Sosa
    https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18178639327151912/

─I can play both ends and as a center forward, but I like to attack more on the right wing because, although my good leg is the right one, my left is at the same level. I like to enter the area and finish across.

›› If my team is behind on the scoreboard or the game is very close, I am always there. If you need the goal, I'll give it to you. That is not what many players today have.

markmcf8 and jeff_adams repped this.
  18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think he played for Portland Timbers academy. Maybe his rights were thrown in with the Jebo deal?

IMG_1003.JPG

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If he signs a homegrown contract then his salary does not count against the cap. Might be the only kind of move the Quakes can afford to make and it won't be affected by a transfer window. Could be a really smart move if he comes good (yeah I'm shilling for Leitch here)

markmcf8 and Beckham7 repped this.
  20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe his post was removed. He would be an U23 signing.

21. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    The athletic is reporting that Cincinnati is offering their gm job to Albright. If we keep waiting, the gm decision will be an easy one.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah I think we’re trying to “run it out”.

23. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    As the saying goes, when in doubt, run it out.

JazzyJ repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Procrastination rules the day.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Probably more like "low offer, let's shop this around for better leverage".