2021 MLS Week 8 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Scrabbleship, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    06/12/21

Sporting Kansas City vs Austin FC
    Children’s Mercy Park (3PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Jeffrey Swartzel
    4TH: Alan Kelly
    VAR: Joe Dickerson
    AVAR: Chantal Boudreau

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is calling the present slate of games a part of "week 8." Externally they (and PRO) called last week's game week 8, as well. Internally, that game had no week designation. I figure we'll just keep it in this thread through Sunday's game and start a new one for next week.

06/18/21

New York Red Bulls vs Nashville
    Red Bull Arena (8PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Eric Weisbrod
    4TH: Natalie Simon
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Real Salt Lake vs Vancouver Whitecaps
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Victor Rivas
    VAR: Dave Gantar
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a couple incidents worthy of discussion last night.

RBNY vs NSH 71': Kyle Duncan (RBNY) cautioned for UB-SPA. Could this have been or need to be DOGSO?

RSL vs VAN 3': Javain Brown (VAN) cautioned for UB-reckless. Could this have been or need to be SFP?

ESPN+ for both games.

4. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    For me, the header is too heavy and going away from goal so I wouldn't be sure the attacker could have gotten to it had he not been fouled.

From the front angle, it looks like he just kicks the attacker. From the behind angle, it kinda looks like he puts his studs into him, but I'm not sure it is conclusive enough for VAR to overtturn.

upload_2021-6-19_10-13-2.png

5. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Thoughts on the PK awarded to the LA Galaxy against the Sounders?

There was contact, but I thought that Chicarito could have stayed on his feet had he chosen to. Very soft penalty to me.....

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    MLS really does their best to hide useful video. I wonder about Etienne's hands to the face in Columbus that only got a caution. I guess they've abandoned red cards for that particular misconduct

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your fan bias might be showing just a tad...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2021/matches/lavssea-06-19-2021/

What obligation does the attacker have to stay on his feet with that sort of contact from behind? That is a clear, clear foul and penalty. It's barely even meets the debatable threshold.

Elsewhere, I thought two calls in DC last night were interesting:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2021/matches/dcvsmia-06-19-2021/

On the penalty, I think that's one now where everyone (except the defending team) expects it, based on the arm being out of the silhouette. But his back is 180 degrees from the ball and I'd make an argument that's where an arm goes when you are off-balance and landing somewhat blindly. Plus with the ball not being played to a dangerous position, is this the sort of thing we want penalties being awarded for? Maybe it's a stretch, but does this fall in the category of "yes, penalty" for 20-21 LOTG but "no, doesn't have to be" for 21-22? I don't think I can fault Bazakos for the way handball is called right now, but I can't help but think this falls into the category of penalties that were unintended consequences based on the re-write a couple years ago.

The 84' red card... anyone watching know if that was given live or via VAR? I have no problem with it, of course. But just wondering how it was arrived at becaue the initial reaction from Bazakos and AR didn't scream "red card."

*and per @GlennAA11 's point, it looks like the MLS site doesn't let you link directly to individual highlights anymore--just the match page. If anyone can figure that out, let me know!

8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Did this work?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/red-card-ryan-shawcross-inter-miami-cf-84th-minute

ArgylleRef and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    the Shawcross red was without VAR intervention. It happened right in front of the AR and I think he suggested it.

and on the PK it looked to me like as he was turning his back he stuck his arm out to block the ball. It seemed like a "making yourself bigger" move and not a natural motion when I saw the replay. I think the AR might have suggested that one too given the way MIA went to argue with him at the end of the game

11. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Go to the videos page, hover over the link below the video in the playlist, right click, and "copy link"... that did it for me.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appreciate this, but I'm failing. Not sure if it's a browser issue or I'm just totally missing something, but I don't want to bog down the thread with my technical ignorance so will just try to figure it out. Either way, the new interface off each individual match page is annoying--oh well.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks on the red. But even with the AR, he initially went up for the throw-in. So I sort of wonder how long it took to arrive at red. It was such a surprise foul that it caught people off guard and probably took a second for everyone to comprehend. Good to know it wasn't via VAR, though.

The timing of Bazakos' reaction on the penalty makes me pretty sure the AR wasn't the one who gave that. As to the more important point about what the defender is doing with his arm, I think we just probably have to agree to disagree there. I just can't get to a scenario where the defender is reflexively throwing his arm out to block more space in that scenario and doing so instantaneously. At that point, it's one of the most deliberate "blind" handballs you'd ever have and I just don't see the context for that here. Again, though, I don't fault Bazakos for the penalty here, I think it's the only call that can be made right now. But I'm not convinced it's in the category of penalties that stakeholders wanted when they really started tinkering with the handball language.

14. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    It was given live with significant input from the AR.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    is it still week 8?

interesting play at the end of DC v MTL. Goalkeeper takes a goalkick and screams out in pain (looks like a quad injury). Referee blows the whistle to stop the match as the ball reaches midfield. GK gets treated for several minutes. Referee (Fischer) restarts with a drop ball in the penalty area to the GK who was injured. Shouldn't the restart have been at midfield where the ball was when he stopped play?

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the ball was last touched in the penalty area prior to the whistle, then the ball returns to the penalty area for the dropped ball to the GK.

And I imagine if it was close, (e.g., if a touch at midfield came right as or just after the referee whistled) the referee would err on the conservative side and move the ball back to the GK. Spirit of the law and all. Plus with a freak injury, hard for anyone really to complain.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the ball is in *or last touched in* the penalty area, it goes to the goalkeeper. Sounds like the goal kick may have been the last touch when the referee decided to stop play.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  18. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA