2021 MLS Week 3 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, May 1, 2021.

1. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    05/01/21
    New York Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire
    Red Bull Arena (1PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Peter Balciunas
    AR2: Ryan Graves
    4TH: Nima Saghafi
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Brian Dunn

Real Salt Lake vs Sporting Kansas City
    Rio Tinto Stadium (2PM ET)
    REF: Dave Gantar
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Kevin Lock
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Allen Chapman
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

CF Montreal vs Columbus Crew
    DRV PNK Stadium (3PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Houston Dynamo vs Los Angeles FC
    BBVA Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Joe Dickerson
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

New England Revolution vs Atlanta United
    Gillette Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Chris Penso
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: Thomas Snyder
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Tom Supple

2. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    05/01/21
    Philadelphia Union vs New York City FC
    Subaru Park (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Matt Franz
    VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AVAR: Adam Wienckowski

Orlando City vs FC Cincinnati
    Exploria Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Brian Poeschel
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Kyle Longville

Minnesota United vs Austin FC
    Allianz Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Jeffrey Swartzel
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Eric Boria

FC Dallas vs Portland Timbers
    Toyota Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Diego Blas
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: JC Griggs
    VAR: Armando Villarreal
    AVAR: Jennifer Garner

San Jose Earthquakes vs D.C. United
    PayPal Park (11PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Lukasz Szpala
    VAR: Victor Rivas
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

05/02/21

Nashville vs Inter Miami
    Nissan Stadium (1PM ET)
    REF: Rosendo Mendoza
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Eric Weisbrod
    4TH: Joshua Encarnacion
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi
    AVAR: Ian McKay

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’m betting on silence or evasion like there was on one of the calls for week 2.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which one was that?

I think it’s been awhile since a play that was actually reviewed didn’t get attention, aside from the very straightforward offside decisions. How do you do a Week in Review on VAR and not include the decision that has the most attention? I guess we will see if it is possible.

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Didn’t the second (third?) case in the week 2 edition have an ambiguous statement like “the R decided” without opining on whether that was the right decision? That’s what I meant, not skipping it.

7. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nani tonight showed why he is so difficult to handle. It was one of the best individual performances on the field in a long time--he absolutely owned Cincinnati with an incredible goal, and unstoppable dribbling, amazing passes. It really was beautiful soccer. But then he also had an absurd tackle...the kind last year that got him sent off (and then reversed). Fisher just went with yellow tonight, which seemed accepted by the players. But man, how do you manage a player like that. Fisher just stayed out of his way, which is probably the safest approach.

8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71st minute in the VAN/COL match had a slightly bizarre throw-in.

9. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edit on my Nani post--I was wrong. It wasn't Nani who got the card. I was sure it was but check the box score and the tackle wasn't him after all. So only beautiful soccer from him. My bad.

10. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    Definitely happened in Week 1 (I think I commented on it), next-to-last review, I believe - we got a "Referee decided" (against what the VAR recommended) that seemed pretty one-sided towards the VAR recommendation during the commentary but no definitive statement at the end.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Mendoza had the decision correct initially. You can see him reaching to his back pocket. My guess is the AR talked him out of the decision.

It's a red card. PRO talks alot about making the expected decision in the eyes of the players to easier manage the game. I.e call the obvious foul in midfield or give the obvious yellow card for SPA, etc.

The expected decision is a red card.

No one would have complained about a red card.

Don't overthink it. Yeah, maybe the other defender will cover, but why reward such cynical play?

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'd actually love to see added to guidance that on close plays, where the foul is cynical, the default should be to DOGSO. And I wouldn't mind something about the converse either--where it is a close call on DOGSO and an "honest" foul, the default should be SPA.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The public pronouncements in the public VAR Week in Review are usually a little muddier than what is said behind the scenes. But if you know how the protocols work, language like "PRO would have preferred" or what have you is pretty easy to decipher.

For me, that sort of wiggle room is understandable. In this situation, though, if they say the outcome is correct, they are saying it's a bad review. There's no scenario where you can say "hey, it was good that the VAR flagged this to review even though the yellow card is the correct answer." And, conversely, if PRO says the outcome was wrong when the coach who would have benefited went out of his way to say he thought the decision was excellent... well, that will make PRO look foolish.

Maybe they come up with something where they say it's understandable why the VAR called for the review (wink, wink: sure, this was really close but "really close" isn't "clearly wrong") but that there wasn't enough to overturn the on-field decision and then they add the caveat that the same would have applied if red card was given. That probably placates all parties and is about as close to the truth as you can get here. Unless, of course, PRO really wants red here!

I tend to agree with most of what @RedStar91 says. AR definitely talks Mendoza out of red initially. And I think red is the expected call. I also definitely fall in the camp of "if it's clearly cynical, I'm leaning more red." That said, there are questions of when the foul actually starts and also an angle that shows the attacker is grabbing some jersey, too. I think either red or yellow can be defended so I'd actually be fine if PRO says that and that it was a "bad review" for that narrow purpose. I do wonder what they--and Mendoza--think about the AR intervening to affirmatively say yellow over red, though. That part might be more interesting (and relevant for most of us) than VAR part of it.

jarbitro repped this.
  14. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    In my opinion, this is a correct review and an incorrect outcome. After the DOGSO issues in week 1, I doubt PRO is going to want to take a wishy-washy stance on this one, if they feel it should have been a red card. They should be very clear about what they do and don’t consider DOGSO, because, frankly, the interpretation has been far from consistent in the first few weeks of this season.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmao JJ managed to spell Allen every which way but correctly in that article. Just magnificent work.

Anyway, there's a part there that goes beyond simple criticism and into questioning the integrity of the official so you have to expect there will be consequences.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I picked one, not knowing none of them were right :ROFLMAO:

18. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Also shoutout to Robert “Sbiga”

Lol this author is a total clown

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, everyone needs an editor, and that publication appears to be...lacking.

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They said they would support a red card in the week in Review.

21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That usually means they wanted it given and considered the review outcome to be incorrect. That rear angle from the end of the segment shows just how much space Romney still had to cover when the foul occurred.

22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah for sure. We can talk ourself out of dogso because we judge the position of the defender a little too late and underestimate how much the offending defender unfairly slowed down the attacker.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suffice it to say that behind the scenes language was a little more direct.

I wonder if a reporter will ask Neville the natural follow-up question.

24. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The audio is really interesting because Younes (the VAR) correctly tells the referee that the nature of the foul—holding—makes it seem that the covering defender was actually closer than he was. Alas the referee stuck with the on-field decision.

What’s also interesting is that, as the clip in the article linked above shows, the referee instinctually reached for his back pocket before changing his mind and giving the yellow (probably with input from the lead AR). The lead AR, of course, doesn’t have the angle from behind that shows just how far apart the two defenders were. The referee did have that angle, which his perhaps why his initial instinct was red.

25. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like that is classic English gamesmanship. Praise the ref for a bad call that goes against your team (especially early in the season). Let the league tell the ref he was wrong, meanwhile if you see that same ref again that is certainly in the back of his mind. That ref might be less likely to send one of your players now in the future on a close call. Normally I wouldn't give a coach that much credit, but Neville is not exactly a rookie. This may be his first pro coaching gig, but he has been working the politics of English football for a long time.