2021 MLS Week 21 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by GlennAA11, Aug 21, 2021.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I wonder how many times that is that de Oliviera has stuck with his original decision after being recommended to go to the monitor. He seems to be the one most likely to reject the VAR's advice.

Is this a new week? I can never keep track of what week it's supposed to be

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised a VAR review even happened there. Even if you thought that was a yellow, there's still plenty of justification for red on that tackle. I think he was right to stay with his on-field call.

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I agree. That was a poor recommendation

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is indeed a poor recommendation, I'd still at least like to see the review taken more seriously. That was some serious "I'm just here so I don't get fined" energy at the monitor.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    08/20/21

LA Galaxy vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Dignity Health Sports Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Chantal Boudreau
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Mark Allatin
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

08/21/21

Minnesota United vs Sporting Kansas City
    Allianz Field (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Eduardo Jeff
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Philippe Briere

Columbus Crew vs Seattle Sounders
    Lower.com Field (5:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Peter Balciunas
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

D.C. United vs Atlanta United
    Audi Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Micheal Barwegen
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: JJ Bilinski
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Inter Miami CF vs Toronto FC
    DRV PNK Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Jeffrey Greeson
    4TH: Elton Garcia
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Jose Da Silva

New England Revolution vs FC Cincinnati
    Gillette Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Fotis Bazakos
    AR1: Eric Weisbrod
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Luis Arroyo
    VAR: Carol Anne Chenard
    AVAR: Ian McKay

New York Red Bulls vs New York City FC
    Red Bull Arena (8PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Kyle Atkins
    4TH: Robert Sibiga
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Orlando City vs Chicago Fire FC
    Exploria Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Ryan Graves
    4TH: JC Griggs
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Kyle Longville

Philadelphia Union vs CF Montréal
    Subaru Park (8PM ET)
    REF: Chris Penso
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Katja Koroleva
    VAR: Alan Kelly
    AVAR: Kathryn Nesbitt

Houston Dynamo vs FC Dallas
    BBVA Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Michael Radchuk
    VAR: Rosendo Mendoza
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Austin FC vs Portland Timbers
    Q2 Stadium (9PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Diego Blas
    4TH: Brandon Stevis
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Colorado Rapids vs Real Salt Lake
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (9M ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Mark Allatin
    VAR: Ismir Pekmic
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

Vancouver Whitecaps vs Los Angeles FC
    BC Place (10PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Stefan Tanaka-Freundt
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Rene Parra

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the KC red card, I think if we go on UEFA scale De Oliveira probably thought he saw a 10 when in all actuality it was an eight which is a borderline decision but there's no way that this should have been sent down as a clear error. Yes he's trying to pull out of the challenge but it's extremely late the ball was well gone and he still kicked the opponent in the stomach with force. Yes it wasn't studs to the stomach but there was still force in the stomach with the foot on a late tackle where the ball is all gone.

Edit: I did just think of the possibility of the referee said he saw studs to the stomach and perhaps the VAR used that to justify the ofr, but even with that it's still a borderline red.

7. WrathofDog

WrathofDog Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2019
    Atlanta v DC is a mess. I thought Martinez was pretty clearly offside on the goal and pretty clearly a goalie red card and pk that was a non call. Is VAR asleep?

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WrathofDog repped this.
  9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    everybody needs to jump over to the week 21 thread

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    odd review and PK in Vancouver. LA player jumps on VAN player's foot and then gets kicked by the VAN player. No foul called initially. Stott sends Chilowocz to the monitor for a review for PK. The Canadian announcers are all baffled that the first foul was ignored and the PK was called.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salt Lake fans are probably ranting about VAR tonight. They had a goal and a PK taken away via VAR in a 2-1 loss, both for offside. The goal disallowed was VERY close. The PK disallowed was obvious.

12. WrathofDog

WrathofDog Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2019
  13. WrathofDog

WrathofDog Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2019
    Gressel was close enough that it's not dogso, but a PK for sure. I totally missed that Gressel cleared the ball and it was somehow a GK.

That's just Babytown frolics.

14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was there ever a replay that clearly showed Martinez was off? I didn’t see one. Until seeing something a lot more definitive, I’m in the camp of “Video inconclusive-call stands”.

15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The official word is that the game was cancelled because the referee crew deemed the field "unplayable" 3 hours after kick-off.

Apparently, it was done well after both teams came out again for warm-ups. If player safety is the concern, why are these guys out there warming up after several hours of rain with Tropical Storm Henri?

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Warming up isn't the same thing as competitive soccer.

sjquakes08 repped this.
  17. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Your ACL doesn't know the difference when you're warming-up on a water-logged field.

18. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Looking at the non-call PK call in DC vs Atlanta, and everyone saying it's a missed PK.

Isn't it obvious that the attacker was looking for the foul? He knew the ball was going well ahead. The physics doesn't line up because he literally pulls his leg as if he's been shot.

I mean, yeah both feet did make contact (did they, though? The attacker's feet doesn't look like it even hit anything). But I mean, come on. Is that not simulation?

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely sure the chain of responsibility here. Referee always has the final decision on the playability of the pitch, but the league determines the rules on the timing of player warmups. Did the league want the pitch inspection as close as possible to the expected kickoff, hoping it would have time to drain? In theory the referee is in charge, but in a professional environment, they're not making these decisions without consultation with the league.

Would be interesting to know how dedicated the league was towards getting this game played last night.

20. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    That's the most plausible explanation, but even on a well maintained field like Red Bull Arena, I can't imagine the field would drain considerably in half an hour after warm-ups, unless they were willing to wait several more hours and start at the wee hours of the morning.

In that case, Elfath has to go through the motions and come out and make a decision that he knew he could have made earlier.

Attached Files:

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    During warm ups players don't push themselves the same.It can be safe to warm up without being safe to play. And the ref has nothing to do with a team's decision on whether to or how to warm up. And I can't speak to the particular field, but some fields do have amazing drainage--waiting to see if the drainage would catch up may not have been nuts. (Some years ago, I went with my son to a baseball tournament in Cooperstown. an afternoon storm came that would have closed So Cal fields far several days--and we were playing again on a playable field an hour after the storm passed.)

22. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Keepers right foot on attackers right foot.

Penalty.

23. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they never showed any good replays during the game. I bet if they drew the lines, he was probably off by a centimeter or two. Put me in the camp of this is why MLS has been better with VAR than all other leagues. Let the VAR/AVAR eyeball to the best of their ability and if it's not obvious then the call on the field stands. Granted, the VAR was apparently asleep during this match anyway. How he didn't send down that PK for review is a bit baffling. Granted, it should have been easy to get the call correct on the field anyway. Nima had a clean look at it.

WrathofDog repped this.
  24. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Safety*

We do not determine playability. We determine safety. Those are two very different things. You can play a game on a field and the game may not 'look' like soccer or what we expect it to look like, but that doesn't mean it's unsafe.

For an MLS game, the PME is going to be pivotal in those conversations and would be the one discussing it with league personnel.

25. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    we absolutely determine playability. If half of the field is covered by an inch of water or a penalty area has been completely destroyed we could not hold a fair competition. In almost every instance of evaluating a field I’ve seen, a ball is typically rolled through various areas of the field to see if it’s stopped in puddles or mud. Safety is #1 but if a fair competition can’t be completed then we wouldn’t play.

WrathofDog, AremRed and seattlebeach repped this.