2021 MLS Super Draft

Discussion in 'FC Cincinnati' started by jschwarz, Jan 21, 2021.

1. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Super Draft begins today at 2pm. FC Cincinnati has the 2nd overall pick. behind Austin. I've heard two names being discussed.

Calvin Harris - sophomore forward, winger from Wake Forest.
    Josh Bauer - CB from New Hampshire

I believe the problem with Harris is that he takes an international roster spot. I'm sure this will be weighed heavily in the decision by our front office. He is probably the best available player though at the #2 slot from what I've read. With how poor the first 2 seasons have been for FCC, taking the best available player may be the best thing to do.

Bauer on the other hand could fill a big hole at center back depth and he does not require an int'l roster spot.. Can he come in and start though?

I do not follow college soccer closely so I really can't comment on these guys. Anyone have any insight? Any other players on the radar?

2. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives Galarcep has FCC slecting Calvin Harris in his mock draft. He also states:

Cincinnati is overflowing with needs, but as much as drafting a centerback would be understandable for a team that badly needs some, passing on a talent like Harris would be difficult. Now, if Austin selects Calvin Harris then things could get interesting because Philip Mayaka might not be an automatic for Cincinnati, which has Frankie Amaya as a talented young central midfielder. Trading the pick, or grabbing Ethan Bartlow to address central defense could be options.

3. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincy goes with Calvin Harris. I guess when scoring goals has been a problem the last two years you go with the best goal scorer on the board. I wonder if Franko Kovacevic may be headed back TSG Hoffenheim and that factored into this also.

4. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCC selects University of South Florida defender Avionne Flanagan with the #29 pick. Unfortunately I don't know anything about him. Can anyone offer up some insight?

5. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Cincinnati selects University of Dayton midfielder Janos Fjeldberg with the 54th pick.

6. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Cincinnati selects Matthew Vowinkel forward form Hofstra University with the 56th pick of the draft.

I thank you guys so much for your input (sarcastic). Really, is there anyone out there?