2021 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Daniel from Montréal, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s technically right since the Sons of Ben’s colors are the Philly flag colors.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of the inspiration, that light blue Union kit is fantastic. Some really strong change kits this year with the Galaxy's black and green kit "throwback" (the original is probably my all-time favorite MLS shirt) and the Union's new kit.

TKyle repped this.
  3. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only complaint about the kit is they choose white shorts over yellow ones.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1385994443862417413 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc repped this.
  5. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it. Glad I got my wish.

RefIADad repped this.
  6. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week's matchups. Couple of odd 'secondary at home' choices in Dallas and Seattle where Dallas could've gone red and had Portland change to white and Seattle coudl've gone primary without the Galaxy needed to change at all. I'm guessing these are just some early season 'let's were the secondary at home to see if we can generate some additional sales' games as we've seen this happen consistently for a few seasons now.

TKyle repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC is a regular "offender" of this where they'll seem to wear their secondary or third (when they had a third kit) at home 4-5 times a season. No doubt that the Seattle decision was to put that new Hendrix kit in front of the home fans.

Also interesting that the officials changed colors for LAFC-Houston. Sibiga wore the navy kit as well in addition to the crew in the MNUFC-Austin game.

harrylee773 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the CCL match between América and Portland.

América’s jerseys remind me of the old Colorado Caribous jersey. Just add some leather fringe.

I gotta say I loved the look of Portland’s new green jersey when it came out. But I’m not digging that all dark green on the back with the regular green shorts and socks. Would be way better if the back, shorts, and socks matched.

9. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    and that dark green looks black to me and i think that takes away from the kit as a whole.

TKyle and aetraxx7 repped this.
  10. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Week 4 matchups are posted. We’ve got RBNY wearing their secondary at home, in addition to a blue vs. blue matchup (Chicago v. Philly), and green vs. green (Portland v. Seattle). I’ve never had trouble telling Portland and Seattle apart when they both go green, but I know people will probably complain about it. The matchup that looks toughest to me is Colorado v. Minnesota- interested to see how that plays on TV as both appear to be going with their “dark” choice this week.

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that answers my question about referee's color choice when SKC and Austin face off. It'll be interesting to see how that looks on TV. Also, I'm really surprised that the officials aren't wearing green socks to contrast more with Austin's black socks.

Also kind of surprised that Dallas goes red while Houston goes orange. I'm also surprised MNUFC didn't wear their light blue tops with gray socks/shorts against COL. Not only would two non-monochrome teams look pretty cool, but the light blue shirt contrasts more with the Rapids' burgundy.

The POR-SEA and DAL-HOU matchups highlight why I feel like teams need to have a basic white kit to wear in a difficult color clash situation. It can be a third or fourth kit, but it's nice to have just in case. This year, Portland's primary is dark enough to contrast with Seattle's rave green, but in past years it has been a lot closer.

TKyle repped this.
  12. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #512 TheEmperor14, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    No one is going to be making an extra white kit for MLS. Even the biggest MLS teams barely sell anything to warrant that. Every team has a light and a dark. Just wear what you need to to make it work. Home team has 1st choice.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It is the same combo that they wore at least once last year.

[​IMG]

Houston almost always wears orange against Dallas. Dallas tends to wear their secondary for games in Houston.

harrylee773 repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess in that photo, the color contrast isn't too bad. As an official, I've had a few younger games where team 1 was red and team 2 was orange. However, the look on TV might be tougher to see.

Regarding my "white kit" comment, I wasn't ever saying that teams would have a white kit that they would sell. Take an Adidas template the thousands of teams (including my son's current team) wear in youth clubs, put the sponsor, numbers, and MLS logo on it, and have it ready for a strange color clash like Portland vs Seattle.

15. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    can't stand it any more, have to say it.

the cut of the shorts this season, with the longer part in the back, makes it look like they are all wearing diapers.

Bluesfan and aetraxx7 repped this.
  16. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Colorado/Minnesota game is a tough watch. I'm against forcing a white kit on teams to resolve it though, this is easily solved by Minnesota wearing their light blue kit. Yes, the shorts -might- clash with the Rapids shorts somewhat, but it can't be as bad as this and they could easily swap shorts out with what they're wearing now or just deal with the shorts being kinda sorta somewhat similar.

JasonMa and aetraxx7 repped this.
  17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I rather want to see Colorado wear their mint green kits (or Minnesota with their aqua blue ones?)

aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was a bit rough even at the stadium. No idea what they were thinking allowing those two kits.

(But the Rapids wear burgundy at home, not mint green. Minnesota needed to bring its change kit)

19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Two things would help.

First, if more clubs would mix and match. Minnesota wearing their blue shirts with grey shorts would be an excellent solution against the Rapids.

Second thing: Third kits

AlbertCamus and aetraxx7 repped this.
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt just a coincidence, but the San Jose Earthquakes' one loss so far this season came in the one game they've worn their secondary uniform.

[​IMG]

They've worn their primary uniform in all the other games thus far (all wins).

[​IMG]

-G

mbar, AlbertCamus and aetraxx7 repped this.
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    They could have worn blue against Dynamo

harrylee773 and Goodsport repped this.
  22. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Looks like the Crew weren't saved after all. Seems that Columbus trying to rebrand to be Columbus SC. Here's the new logo that's been teased...

Stupid. No one is asking for this (except for the new ownership).

aetraxx7 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  23. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And someone should remind the Crews management that their best look is the banana kit.

24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Week 5 matchups posted on the MLS site. Lots of teams playing two games this week, not many 'suprises' per se but a few interesting notes from a quick glance.

Miami, RSL, SKC and LA Galaxy wearing secondary at home this week. I expect to see LA do that more frequently than usual with that sweet throwback look they have for their secondary.

Interesting to me at least - last week Seattle and Portland played a green vs. green matchup. I found it easy to follow and no different than the handful of blue vs. blue match ups we get with NYCFC and other light blue kitted teams playing against the Chicagos, New Englands and other navy kitted teams of the league. This week, San Jose is wearing their primary (and another great throwback vibe) blue kit against both teams- Seattle will be in green but Portland will change to white. It makes sense given the dark/light designation of the kits and all, but after the tough to watch Colorado/Minnesota game last week where both wore their dark kits, I wouldn't have been surprised if Portland were allowed to wear their primary in this one. Glad the Timbers opted for white for this one, however.

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching SJ vs Seattle last night was another difficult one related to referee kits. The lighter blue worn by Toledo and crew looked too much like San Jose’s blue on my TV. Capelli needs to make a pink, red, or yellow option for a fourth referee shirt.