2021 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Daniel from Montréal, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union announce a new third jersey to honor the start of the MLB season.

Even tho it's an April Fool's joke, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually gets made.

RefIADad, carnifex2005 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  2. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yeah, I was going to say that kit is great!

3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it look too "little brother" to see some teams have change or third kits (yes, I know the rules about third kits are way too restrictive, but work with me) in the colors of another team in their city if the team colors don't already align (like they do in Pittsburgh, for example)? There are a few examples where this might be an interesting idea.

I really like that Union concept kit and can think of instances where this might work with other teams. It would be a lot better than the next version of the all-white change kit.

CeltTexan repped this.
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found this on reddit:

The San Jose Earthquakes' primary uniform seems to have already been updated on FIFA 21. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

-G

carnifex2005 repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just occurred to me that the game's researchers messed up on one detail: Cade Cowell is currently 17, not 25. ;)

-G

6. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS launches "Since ’96" throwback collection

Major League Soccer in partnership with Mitchell & Ness on Tuesday launched the retro-inspired apparel collaboration, "Since ’96".

The Since ’96 collection features a Mitchell & Ness polo, sublimed mesh jersey, ‘90s color-blocked hoodie, a windbreaker jacket, and long-sleeve shirt, as well as four types of hats from New Era: the 950 Jersey Hook, 2930 Ripped, 920 Fan Fave and the Winter Knit.

Eleven clubs are featured in the collection: LA Galaxy, Colorado Rapids, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, Dallas Burn (FC Dallas), D.C. United, Seattle Sounders, The Wiz (Sporting Kansas City), Vancouver 86ers (Whitecaps), Portland Timbers, and San Jose Clash (Earthquakes). Clubs established in 1996 will also have a ‘founding club’ embellishment on the garment.

Of course, a few things wrong with the Since '96 branding. One, the Impact were around back then (since 93), Two, the Timbers weren't around in 96 (They came back in 01 after leaving in 91) and Three, no Metrostars gear?. That being said, cool that some new 86'ers gear is out there.

7. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess RedBull said no to doing Metrostars stuff.

8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Philly swapped out the shirt advert for their CCL match. Artesano replaced with it's parent Bimbo. Most likely because the Bimbo brand proper is more well known in Central America.
    [​IMG]

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? They didn’t do it for their CCL match. They wore their secondary jersey and Artesano is what they have on their secondary jersey. It’s been that way since last season:

https://www.philadelphiaunion.com/p...s-usa-unveil-artesano-bakery-bread-brand-away

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Sorry I screwed up the photo on my first post. Their secondary is going to have Artesano but for their CCL match they reverted back to Bimbo. Indicates how much pull advertisers have.

upload_2021-4-8_7-10-13.png

sitruc repped this.
  11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #486 TKyle, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Do you mean like if the Union wore Eagles or Flyers colored jerseys as their third kit?
    I dunno; the idea is kind of cool, but yeah, it does IMO kind of sound "little brother" for a league that wants to be considered big-time.

Now, I do like Philly's flag-inspired kit. Well done! I think that could be a good idea for a third kit, although a lot of city flags have red, white, and blue as main colors, in which case the idea of the city's flag being the colors of the jersey might get lost. If the flag has a unique design or features (i.e. Chicago's six-pointed stars) or colors, then the association would be more obvious.

But--be careful what you wish for. This is an example of poor execution:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was my general idea. Another example would be if SKC wore a red and gold change kit because of the Chiefs.

It is probably too "little brother", but I'm trying to think of ways to move away from the all-white change kit idea. Yes, the Columbus flag-inspired kit was awful (Honestly, it looked like a baby had taken a leak on those jerseys!!). I think, for example, Atlanta is missing a great opportunity to wear a peach-colored change kit given their "Peach City" moniker.

TKyle repped this.
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha! Misunderstood. Thanks for the correction. ;)

Bluesfan repped this.
  14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Love it. Rapids and Revs are particularly cool.

15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I wholeheartedly agree on moving away from the all-white change kit. Zzzzzzzzzz.
    And Crew fans thought those looked like urine stripes too. (A foreshadowing of what Prec***t would do to the fans...)

16. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Midnight Attack repped this.
  17. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did one that was the color of the sleeve on the navy shirt I think it’d look great, and probably be light enough to avoid them needing a white shirt option. Interested to see what they come up with.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #493 CeltTexan, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Good thinking. My buddies and I here in Houston told, well, pleaded with our Front Office years back to get with Adidas and make an all black uniform with our orange and sky blue as trim colors. Our FO replied no thanks. Then years on, our FO finally gets Adidas to make a black jersey for the club and wouldn't you know it, the bad boys sales out around town and on the web. Making a nice new revenue stream for our club. A big we told ya to our FO suits on missing out on this revenue for seasons by not listening to us supporters in the stands. Some of us can read and count ya know FO!
    With this in mind, the little brother concept is an issue if the beautiful game wasn't the most dominant sport on the planet, even if MLS is at 26 seasons, the sport is THE sport on Earth. So doubling down on older franchises in your city with a MLS 3rd jersey/alternate jersey, for me, the reverse is true, the other NFL, MLB or NBA teams in the city should feel honored if their colors were worn out on the soccer field. Via the world's sport the city's colors can be shown to a global audience. Perhaps others watching from afar go purchase a 3rd jersey in MLS for the very reason the color scheme speaks to a certain city they already follow in different sport.
    Us in Houston have wanted to as well have our FO work with Adidas to learn from the all black with orange trim to have a navy blue and orange trim. Our Dynamo share orange with our Astros kind of concept. Orange is Houston's color, cuz our city's bumpy streets and worse highways are always under construction!
    Adidas Navy and Orange sample jersey 2.0 with new crest.jpg

[​IMG]

19. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I’m a dope and completely missed this in previous years despite how I obsess over meaningless things like “who is wearing what today”, but the league has a kit matchup page where they show what each team, the keepers, and the refs will be wearing for each game. No more poking through the game previews for this info for me. Some pretty good looking matchups this opening week! Looks like DCU/NYCFC gives us a perfect color v. color matchup with both teams in their primary, non-monochrome kits. Hopefully the league does this the rest of the year.

TKyle, sitruc, Nacional Tijuana and 2 others repped this.
  20. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been doing that for years.

21. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I've noticed it, too and I do love it. If I weren't a cheapskate, I'd be watching the Rapids and FCD right now instead of listening. Very curious how this match looks from a kitnerd perspective (though I'm sure FCD is using their dark kits. Where's Waldo? I sorely miss him).

harrylee773 repped this.
  22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea that such a page existed. Much less that MLS has done this for years.
    Perfect for nerds like me—who has been known to go thru the highlights to see if the kit matchups are what I would predict them to be.

harrylee773 repped this.
  23. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I failed to notice, are the GK shirts all actually blank?

Definitely liking the LAG kits scheduled for today.

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, keeper shirts have sponsors on them.

Hard agree on those Galaxy kits. The original kits with this design may be the best MLS kits ever. I just wish there wasn't a rule about having a solid back, but I understand why (it's so officials can see numbers more clearly and reduce/prevent issues related to mistaken identity.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not flag inspired. It was inspired by the fan committee who wanted blue and yellow which are the colors of the Sons of Ben.