2021 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Daniel from Montréal, Nov 18, 2020.

1. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so! I always felt the Union should have a color scheme closer to the flag or the Swedish National Football team than the Navy/Gold. It would stand out in MLS in a nice way.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 aetraxx7, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Solid. I've wats been a fan of green & black stripes. Their crest and even the simple white Yeti logo work well with this kit.
    Hopefully they can keep the stripes since it seems like we've lost so many of the other teams' (Rapids, Metrostars/RBNY, Impact) stripes and even Dallas's hoops. I guess we still have Atlanta's stripes, though I wish we still had their peach away kits.
    Guessing the away kit will be solid white though...

Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's an unusual shade of blue and a more vibrant yellow than the Galaxy use.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lighter blue kit and a gold kit would be such a great set of kits for the Union. Perhaps keep the navy as a third and a nod to the club's first 10 years.

I've been on record as saying I do think every team should have a white kit. However, unless a team wears white as part of its primary kit (i.e. the Galaxy), teams could just keep a boring version stored away to avoid color clashes like we saw a couple of years ago when the Sounders and Timbers both wore their green kits in Portland because the Sounders' change kit was black. You don't even need to do any sort of design if you don't want to do so - just have a basic Adidas template with the name/number, crest, and sponsor(s) on it. If every team had a basic white kit for avoiding color clashes, they could be more original with change kits. For example, Atlanta wearing a peach change kit would be great.

Nacional Tijuana and aetraxx7 repped this.
  6. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. It is a MLS rule. The Vancouver Hoop jersey is the exception to the rule and will not be done again. That was an anniversary jersey.

7. jimaras78

jimaras78 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    and today.. Radio-Canada tweets that Montréal Impact would be changing their name to Montreal FC! Lots of action in Montreal, the club hasn’t confirmed anything yet

harrylee773 repped this.
  8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know if I approve of another FC.

TKyle, RefIADad and aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. Impact wasn't a great name, but it was an actual name. It wasn't tied to any animal or concrete, tangible concept. It achieves the same goal as the generic FC and United type names while being fairly unique. Let's just throw away a long history for more blandness.
    I don't understand the fascination with bland faux Euro names.

tigersoccer2005 and TKyle repped this.
  10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Hey if the SEC Conference can have 3 teams named Tigers and 2 teams named Bulldogs, there is no reason that MLS can't have a couple of teams called FC. Can't be more than a few teams that have it in their name, right?

Sigh

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "FC" or "United" idea is OK for Europe when so many team names are not simply the city's name. Just using the EPL as an example, FC is OK when you have Chelsea FC, Arsenal FC, Fulham FC, etc. instead of a bunch of teams with "London (Nickname) FC".

The US/Canada naming convention has always been "City (Nickname)". That means it would be hard to shift thinking to a more European naming convention. For example, I thought it would have been interesting if Charlotte had named their MLS team "Queen City FC". Whether or not you like it, it would have taken Charlotte's well-known nickname and incorporated it into a team name. But undoubtedly, there would have been people who would have responded with something like "What kind of name is that??". However, I would have liked to see it. I also think the franchise vs club model of MLS has a lot to do with this, but overall it's pretty much tradition.

AlbertCamus and aetraxx7 repped this.
  12. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lots of backlash with IMFC fanbase, and even media. Club didn't deny it, so it's looking bleak. Hopefully this is them either testing the waters, or just drumming up interest for their rebranding (without changing the name).

TKyle and jimaras78 repped this.
  13. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Most thought the Columbus rebranding was done well. I still think it was, but is that the consensus with their fans too?

TKyle and aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's the impression I got too, except for the announcers being forced to call the club Crew SC for 2 years.

Colours and name stayed the same.

crew2112, TKyle, aetraxx7 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, I think the Crew rebrand (other than requiring SC) was successful. The name still works, the logo is more polished and the colors remained. It wasn't drastic like Chicago where the primary and secondary colors swapped, the tertiary color changed, and a highly favored and iconic logo was replaced by absolute garbage hot off of MS Paint circa 1997.
    FC Dallas SKC are the only examples of a complete rebrand in MLS that come to mind as successful and an improvement. I guess the Clash to Earthquakes would also qualify, but that was almost immediate. As far as the other new logos, Colorado, DC, LA, and SJ are all improvements while Houston is a massive drop.

TKyle repped this.
  16. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting the Montreal Rumors. I am not a fan of Impact per say but I feel like with such a historic town you could come up with a better name than Montreal FC. I mean write it in French and call it CF Montreal.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with the season over, the Rapids have now played more than 50% of their seasons in burgundy and blue

18. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League is updating their star system. I like that the league patch of the defend champ will be silver. It’s better then the gold star method they’ve been using.

harrylee773 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  19. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back the Scudetto! And the silver ball!

Seriously though, I wonder how long this will last, given that teams can already sell ad space on sleeve, just a matter of time before the other one is for sale (assuming it isn’t already), I’d reckon. I also wonder if LA will change anything with their four silver, one gold star look in light of this update.

20. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Honestly I'm not sure that the Columbus crest gets bashed enough for being kinda bland. Some checkers on a roundel is really all it is. From a symbolism standpoint it's not really any better or worse than whatever the Fire spit out last year. Only advantage it's got going for it is it's kind of aesthetically pleasing and the color contrast in it is nice.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the league is going to want their patch on the sleeve for their own marketing sake (and that's pretty much the world standard now). My prediction is is the lower back will be the next ad space to fill.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the upper back with names moving below the numbers.

CMeszt repped this.
  23. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Doubtful. No precedent for that in NA sports, and only a few worldwide, especially not for "big" leagues.

24. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    if i remember right, some of the original fire nike jerseys had a honda logo on the lower back, right?

Nacional Tijuana and aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a lot more generic and less memorable than the original crest. Frankly, it's just Dortmund and Bayern's crests combined.

An Unpaved Road and aetraxx7 repped this.