News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta starting in championship game tonight (7 pm) against Mexico.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's going to piss off the MLS haters...

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the first half we're not going to have to worry much about losing Acosta to national team duty this summer...

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Honestly, Pulisic and McKennie aren’t looking any better either.

Don’t get me started on McKenzie….rough night for the USA so far…

JasonMa repped this.
  6. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol Acosta playing LB now for USMNT...

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta had a significantly better second half

SccrDon, COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Local raised Horvath got us the W, 3 amazing saves including on the PK to seal win

SccrDon, COMtnGuy, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Holy crap what a game. What a game.

An instant classic right there. 3-2 USA Win!

Real shame about the fans chucking beers and hitting players, as well as the streaker, AND the guy that crashed the set at halftime. Other than that, what a game. USA - Mexico games are never without drama, and tonight had plenty of drama!

JasonMa and unkiemark repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    #110 unkiemark, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Acosta played every minute of the zillion minutes of this match. In possession when in the midfield he was very good in keeping the play positive. Not sure left back is his best position, but it's great to see that Berhalter has confidence in him.

There was too much craziness in this match to describe.

As a Rapids, Chelsea and USA fan, I approve of Pulisic hosting a lot of trophies.

Horvath may not be with Club Brugge come August :)

TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  13. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Acosta had a solid game, and another important thing to note is that he was extremely vocal to the ref and seemed to always be front and center whenever any of the Sh**housing was going down. To me it looks like he is making a strong case for being considered among the USMNT's top-choice 23, perhaps not as a starter but as the utility midfielder/defender.

SccrDon, JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a BS tweet, Acosta is playing a 6/8 for USMNT and Musah is a straight attacking Midfielder.

Might as well compare Musah to a CB or GK if that's your logic.

JasonMa repped this.
  15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was impeding/ talking crap big time on that Mexico PK, a few Mexico players tried to get him away from their PK taker but he wasn't having it. Even when they lined up some Mexico player was trying to wedge himself between Acosta and Brooks and they would push him back causing the usually Mexico, Foul act which the Ref ignored.

JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That match was pure kino. That'll definitely rank up there with some of the all-time most memorable US games. It had basically everything, including lots of drama both on and off the pitch. The fact a Rapids player played the full match and got to hoist the trophy in Denver was fantastic.

Speaking of Acosta, he seemed to generally play better as they game went on, though he was losing the footraces whenever Mexico came down the right. He was surprisingly able to cope okay with getting moved to LB after the second half subs. That begs a relevant question of why is it always such a massive disaster every time he plays LB for the Rapids, but he seemed to do okay here in a high pressure situation?

I'm inclined to think it was two things. First was him not having to commit himself to the attack, which avoids the constant problem we've seen where Acosta is caught way out of position when the opponent gets the ball back. Second I think is having much more reliable and skilled players at CB and DM to support him, which is something the Rapids critically lack.

COMtnGuy, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my thought. With the Rapids he seems to feel he has to fill the role of stopper in midfield even when he's playing LB, which means he goes walkabout far too often from his position and then gets beat, repeatedly.

18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest problem with Acosta playing LB for the Rapids is that it means he isn't playing in midfield.

m vann, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    JasonMa repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

m vann, COMtnGuy, Rod1916 and 2 others repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty cool to think I have been in attendance for two of the most memorable US matches and both have been in Denver. Some around the country may stick their noses up at Denver and say it’s not a soccer town but I beg to differ. Denver has been the perfect host for those two matches. We can be the perfect host city for 2026.

Anyways.....was so happy to for Acosta. Happy to have a Pid play and contribute to such a memorable game. Acosta and the Rapids have been a perfect fit. I can help but think the Rapids helped resurrect Acosta’s career and Acosta helped resurrect the Rapids.

24. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    I am more convinced than ever that Kellyn has a sizable role to play for the national team in the future. His ability to be a serviceable replacement for about 6 different positions combined with his two-footedness makes him an exceptional depth option for a national team that is constantly losing key players to injury. Even if he doesn't get his dream move abroad, I think he's the type of guy that will remain involved.

25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Acosta looks to be a good bet for call-ups to WWC qualifying matches. Apparently, Berhalter will not be using the Nations League squad for the Gold Cup as he feels they need some rest before qualifying. Hopefully that means Acosta will be available for the Rapids during the rest of the summer.

If Acosta gets the call-up for qualifiers, he will miss matches down the stretch of the MLS season.

Then there is the Gold Cup. It begins on July 11 for the US with the final set for August 1. If Vines gets the call-up hee could miss five MLS matches as the Rapids have six matches in July.

In both of these scenarios the Rapids are going to be challenged to figure out a way to make up for the loss of a key player for multiple games.

TheWarmBurger repped this.