News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Let's be honest. How many here really want to face FSL in a playoff match, regardless of where the match is being played?

For whatever reason, the Rapids more often than not don't show up.

Maarten van 242, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can you imagine the nightmare if RSL wins and Pablo stuffs a Rapids’ kit into his pants? Shudder.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean FSL kit. He stuffed a Rapids kit into his pants back in 2006.

TheWarmBurger and Sports Yak repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his goal this weekend Badji tied Wolde Harris for 6th all-time in Rapids history (27 goals). Next up, Chris Henderson at 31.

5. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I’m still laughing thinking about it.

TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    How many games/minutes did Wolde play for the Rapids. I would never have guessed Badji would have the same number of goals as Harris. But perhaps he's played a lot more minutes as a Rapid.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harris: 5218 minutes
    Badji: 6391 minutes

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Forget to post this last week-

9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Unfortunately that is the exact reason why my money is on that happening.

Playing FSL in the first round of the playoffs would just be another "Rapids thing" to happen to us this season - and wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

JasonMa repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This really should go here and not in the thread on not Rapids related. Didn't realize the Rapids have 10 players on loan. Would have guessed more like seven. Regardless, it's great some will be getting a bit of added experience this season.

Stuart95, Rod1916, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Assuming we finish 2nd, or 3rd; does anybody have an idea of when our home playoff game is likely to be? So exciting.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nov. 20th, 21st, or 23rd. MLS hasn't gone into any more details than that.

AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I would imagine it would most likely either the Saturday the 20th, or the Sunday 21st.

The full schedule can be seen here:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-cup-playoffs/2021/schedule/

While there is also round 1 playoff games scheduled for the 23rd,I doubt that a 3rd seed game would be thrown out on a Tuesday - especially since 1st seed gets a round one bye.

In essence, the top seeds playing in round one are seed 2 and seed 3 - so MLS would want them on a weekend to draw in the biggest viewership.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I say this knowing full well that the Rapids aren't exactly an "eye catching viewership draw," however, if they ship our 3rd seed game to a Tuesday but none of the other "top seeds" of the round....that looks a little fishy.

But hey, it's the Rapids. When has MLS really cared about us in recent years anyways?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got done putting together a "sporting fairness" schedule on the N&A forum. The short version is that the most fair way to do it is to have the 2/7 and 3/6 matches for each conference on the same day, since the winners play each other in the next round so would have equal rest. It also makes the most sense to have those matches be on Sunday and Tuesday (one conference on each day). That's because its almost a guarantee that one of the bye teams will host the Thanksgiving Day game, so the fair thing is to have their opponent's first math (the 4/5 matchup) be on Saturday so the winner can get as much rest as possible. Have the other 4/5 match on Saturday as well to keep the other games balanced.

But that's the sporting thing to do. Things like stadium availability and what the TV partners want will have a big influence.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Man if only we could get Chipotle as a shirt sponsor

Even tho their HQ is in Cali now, Chipotle did get its start in Denver after all…

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame the recession in the late 2000's...

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Chipotle founder is a Boulder High grad. Spoke at graduation about 12 years go, everyone in the audience was hoping for a gift certificate. Didn't happen.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The IFAB seems ready to make the 5 substitute rule a permanent change to the LotG.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully over the same 3 Substitute stoppages (ie not adding more)

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with that loss by the Galaxy, the Rapids clinch a home playoff game

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If you told us that at the beginning of the season we’d have taken it. Now we want more, but 2nd is out reach. Avoiding 4th and a trip to Seattle is still important, however

JasonMa repped this.
  23. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    #798 Maarten van 242, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    I'll take the semi-dissenting opinion...
    Yea. I'll take it (3rd... assuming we hold onto it). As others have noted, if you told me at the beginning of the season that we'd finish in 3rd, I would've broken out the whiskey and cigs in celebration (well not any more, thankfully). But now that we've flirted with 5th, 4th, and 3rd all season, and 2nd or 1st are in reach, I have a higher expectation for this team. While I see the merits of resting players, and I obviously don't know the whole backstory of player conditions or game strategies, it just feels deflating or frustrating seeing us apparently be content with 3rd (with the squad rotation), and not scratch and claw for 2nd or 1st like SKC is. Of course I can't stand SKC (or SEA). But I admire teams like that because they're always a threat and they usually don't take their foot off the pedal. Neither of those teams would "be content with 3rd". So, it's becoming apparent that we're just not there yet (unless the frequent lineup tinkering and squad rotations are not about resting players and all about some bizarre Fraser approach). So, we have a next step to pursue. I guess you can't be a contender for 1st until you become a consistent playoff regular. We're now achieving the playoff regular status. So maybe vying for first on a regular basis is the next progression under Fraser. One could hope.

24. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    All we needed tonight was someone who can be clinical in front of net. We’re soooo close to being there. But how many times in the 32 games this season have we had opportunities after opportunities and never put it away. Man I hope we go big this off-season and get someone who will score some freaking goals.

AlbertCamus, Maarten van 242 and JasonMa repped this.
  25. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Not to beat a dead horse, but a quick glance at our shot leaders and you’ll get

Bassett - 59 shots 4 goals (6.9%)
    Barrios - 54 shots 8 goals (14.8%)
    Rubio - 47 shots 5 goals (10.6%)
    Shinyashiki - 45 shots 4 goals (8.9%)
    Lewis - 39 shots 5 goals (12.8%)

That’s 244 shots attempted, and 26 goals to show for it. Or 10.1% conversion for our 5 shots leaders…so in essence to score one goal, we need to generate an average of 10 shots. Rapids generated 12 tonight. However, our higher percentage shot generators / converters got…1 shot. Barrios’ shot from close range.

By comparison on the season:
    Buksa - 16 goals 111 shots (14.4%)
    Bou - 15 goals 83 shots (18.1%)
    Ruidiaz - 16 goals 86 shots (18.6%)
    Brian White - 12 goals 37 shots (32.4%)
    Chicharito - 14 goals 53 shots (26.4%)
    Ola Kamara - 17 goals 49 shots (34.7%)
    Salloi - 16 goals 78 shots (20.5%)
    Castellanos - 16 goals 124 shots (12.9%)
    Pepi - 13 goals 64 shots (20.3%)

So there you have it. Either those other guys are putting in insane conversion percentages or generating a huge number of shots with respectable conversion percentages. We’re simply…not putting up either really.

In terms of shots…Bassett and Barrios are our top two guys. There are a total of 31 guys in the league that have more shots than Bassett and 43 guys ahead of Barrios in total shots.

For goals? Barrios leads us with 8, then it’s Rubio and Lewis with 5….Unfortunately there are 27 guys with more goals than Barrios and, well, 59 guys with more goals than Rubio/Lewis. Bassett and Shinyashiki have 4 each, and, um, there’s 70 guys with more than that.

We…need…a…striker….big time.

*fun note... Badji is currently sitting on 3 goals off of 9 shots in ~ 240 minutes*

SccrDon, AlbertCamus, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.