News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Seems like when the Rapids post videos on DA players they sign within six months or so with the first team. Any insights into Jackson Travis' play?

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Here are a few details on the new Leagues Cup coming next season from a recent article in The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2842905/202...ll-add-rocket-fuel-to-their-plans-for-growth/

• The competition will take place from mid-July to mid-August. This window takes advantage of the lack of competition for air time. Only MLB will be playing regular season games during this month. No NFL, or college football, etc.

• There will be 3 teams in each group with the top 2 advancing to the knock out stage

• All matches will be played in the US and Canada

Looks like there are a lot of details to be worked out.

Sports Yak and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Of the seven scheduled matches for October, only two are at DSGP. Yikes.

5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Really, really….really hope Acosta doesn’t get called by the US and Kaye by Canada…

We need these guys for October.

Bittersweetly I think there’s a good chance both get the call.

AlbertCamus and Sports Yak repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is zero chance they are both not called in.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaye - 100% chance
    Acosta - 90% chance

Berhalter knows he's really pushing his luck with Acosta and the Rapids. I think he pushes it some more but there's a chance he pulls back for this window.

2021 is a weird year with the delayed Nations League and compressed WCQ's due to COVID but Acosta is going to miss a quarter of the season or more due to callups, and then he missed an additional 3 games due to the positive COVID he got while on Nats duty. Not what the Rapids are paying him for.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not great. Buzz is a solid reporter that's been covering the Burn/FC Dallas for decades at this point. So I fully believe this is why Dallas walked off

https://3rddegree.net/fc-dallas-u15...colorado-rapids-after-alleged-racist-incident

AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Is anyone else surprised that Acosta hasn’t had a bigger impact the last few games? After he was the best player against Mexico, I thought he’d do the same here. Hasn’t happened.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, 'Celo coaches the U14's that were beating the Dallas U14's when they walked off in solidarity with the U15s. (So, to be clear, the alleged racist taunt didn't come from 'Celo's team)

AlbertCamus and Sports Yak repped this.
  11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If Celo’s team had that happen, I would have expected him to forfeit and apologize. Really, really unacceptable. (But 15-year-olds can be knuckleheads.)

JasonMa repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I feel he's most effective playing in the middle of 3 person back line, both for the Nats and Rapids. With the Rapids, he only gets that chance if Price is not playing.

Of course playing a zillion minutes with a lot of travel for both club and country isn't helping. I figured that the Rapids might give him a bit of a rest after the September window. Obviously that didn't happen and it really could be impacting him.

In this article in The Athletic by Stejskal and Tenorio they predict Acosta will be on the roster and may have to once again play a lot of minutes as Tyler Adams is not 100%. https://theathletic.com/2854930/202...lisic-reyna-injuries-could-impact-selections/

Sports Yak, JasonMa and AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We had this discussion on another thread, how many games is that for a cost up for the US national team this year? It’s in the teens I think.

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A game thread for tomorrow’s game has been started. That is tomorrow, Wednesday! Before a seven game month of October.

16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Acosta's main selling point for the Nats is his versatility.

SccrDon repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    No surprises here

Acosta called up for the World Cup Qualifiers! Congrats to him. Certainly seems like the Rapids have helped make his dream come true of playing meaningful minutes for club and country again

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he'll miss the game in Minnesota and likely be on short rest for the RMC deciding game in Utah.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Switchbacks loanee Philip Mayaka was named to Kenya’s provisional roster for their upcoming WCQ vs Mali. Who knows if he’ll make the final cut but props to the kid. He’s had a very good season for the Switchbacks. A classic #6 with a little bite in his game. The Rapids will have to find a place for him next season.

Rod1916, Stuart95, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  20. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    I'd guess this may have been touched on in some ways by others in recent days or weeks (apologies if so)... but it's been weighing on me, so I'll share...

This current stretch of less-than-successful play (several draws against lesser teams, even at home... TFC??!?!!) has surely been a disappointment for players and fans. No doubt.

But when you couple this with the less-than-attractive wins that they eked out in the weeks that preceded this winless stretch (thinking RSL, maybe Houston?...), I'm starting to get concerned that the problems are deeper and more prominent than this streak of draws. I didn't go back an analyze the prior matches, but I distinctly remember quotes from Jack Price after a couple/few matches they won noting things along the lines of ["We played horribly, but still managed to win. Good teams do that"]. It's easy to lose sight of those prior ugly matches because we tallied 3 points from them. But when you take away the results (wins and draws), this stretch of ugly play has gone on for a lot long than the past couple weeks. It's much of August and all of Sept.

Thus, I am rather concerned that our status and form of the past couple months is a lot worse than our overall record shows... just as we head into a brutal stretch of away games against quality teams. Sigh.

That's the pessimist in me (i.e., just doing my duty as a depressed, fatalistic Rapids fan).

As for the glass-half-full side... Well, they haven't lost recently, so there's that! (something that surely would've happened by now in prior/normal years).

Point is. Am I off-base for thinking that their troubles are a lot worse and longer standing than this stretch of draws against weaker teams?

21. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    No, I definitely think you're on to something. Every team seems to have stretches in the season where things just don't seem to click. The Rapids have been on that stretch for a bit.

However, if the struggle bus we've been on means we are undefeated in 11 games, it definitely could be waaay worse than it is.

Seattle for example seems to do this every year. They go through a bumpy bumpy early summer and then explode into solid form the final third of the year.

Are the Rapids on the same pure talent tier as Seattle? No. But I think we are as well coached as Seattle.

Honestly, I think the Rapids players rode the "us against the league" wave far too hard. I think they let it get to their head and were getting a bit complacent out there on the field - hence why LA and Portland were both able to go out and get those late game saving goals. They weren't doing the basic things right anymore. Our passing the last 3-4 games for example. It's just been off.

Teams are also catching on to our weaknesses. They're not playing us like the underdog anymore. Now it's up to Fraser to adjust and close out the season strong.

If Fraser has proven anything to us in his 50 games as manager, its that he knows how to right a ship that's starting to show signs of sinking (look at end of 2019 and then also after both the MLS is Back tourney and the COVID Break of 2020 for examples).

We've got 5 points and a game in hand over 4th place Portland, and 7 points and a game in hand over 5th place LA. Even if we lose a couple of games in October - which is a very real possibility - we're still in a strong position to close out on the top end of the Western Conference table. Sure its a tough row to hoe up ahead, but we're getting our players back healthy and fresh at the right time to close out this year.

Rod1916 and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  22. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    You know, another thing I've noticed lately is how players are being played all over the field. The last two games Kaye was out on the left wing instead of the midfield.

Trusty and Galvan have played a lot of wingback.

Barrios has been played as center forward - this one confuses me the most, especially when Rubio subbed on last match and played winger while Barrios played center forward.

We also haven't played in our 4-3-3 much these last 11 games either. I wonder if Fraser has been playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers, and is about to drop into the 4-3-3 again with players in their prime positions instead of their secondary strengths.

Maarten van 242, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of the Rapids are showing signs of playing too many matches too close together due to the compressed schedule and our lack of depth in some areas. Thinking of Price, Acosta (with his USMNT duties), Wilson, Rosenberry, and maybe Trusty and Barrios. It shows in the lack of sharpness in passing and movement that many of us have observed.

We may see some rotation and some ... unexpected lineup choices over the next month. Fraser is faced with getting results without running players into the ground. There are at least 2 parts to preparing for the playoffs - finishing as high in the standings as possible, and having players ready to go for however many playoff matches we may get.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With last night's results the Rapids are on 48 points. FSL moved up to 5th on PPG, and they're currently on a pace for 49 points this season. So one more win is probably enough to assure us of a home playoff game. Two more wins puts us in a good position for a top 3 finish. Barring one of the top 3 having a notable drop off (or Seattle/Colorado sweeping their two game series remaining) the positioning of the top tier will likely go down to the final games.