News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seb Anderson has been recalled from his loan to the Springs.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to leave this here...

Sports Yak repped this.
  3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    We need to find a way to make this a buy one -- get one deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/28/arteta-backs-kroenkes-arsenal-daniel-ek

“I want to establish trust with the fans and engage the fans again. So I’m very serious. I have secured the funds for it and I want to bring what I think is a very compelling offer to the owners and I hope they hear me out.”

There was an update yesterday w/ other potential investors joining Ek but this article has the gist of it. Seldom-seen Stan still says no sale ...

AlbertCamus, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  6. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    New episode of Elevate

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/roster/
    Had to look up how to spell Shinkashiki, noticed the Player Category and Status columns.
    So Vines signing was part of the new MLS U22 Initiative and Korte Ford is listed as Injured.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A little in-season transfer rumor. According to the tweet, the Rapids and Crew are interested in Bosnian-American, Anel Sabanadzovic who is Bosnian U-21 international from St. Louis. He’s a midfielder currently on loan from AEK Athens to Bosnian Premier League side Zeljeznicar. He joined AEK Athens from Zeljeznicar two seasons ago and made a handful of appearances for AEK in the Europa League. I know zero about him other than recognizing and seeing his name a few times in the Yanks Abroad section and that his dad, whose name is escaping me, played a few seasons for the Kansas City Wizards.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting that Toure is getting time with the U-19 in addition to training with the first team. Appreciate the updates from the Rapids on the loanees and youth teams.

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting rumor on Sabanadzovic as his primary position is defensive midfield. Are they looking for backup to Acosta or is Acosta going to be sold soon? Is Mayaka not going to be with the first team for a while?

12. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #37 Sports Yak, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Thinking about Lewis. I’ve always loved his hustle and attitude. His speed gets him so many scoring chances. But no finishing skills. I know that is hard to teach, but can’t the coaches improve him at all?

In other words, chip it now and then when the goalie rushes out.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilson and Bassett both made the MLS TOTW for their important goals in our comeback win vs Minnesota Utd. Well deserved

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Vine and Acosta were named the USMNT Nations League Finals provisional roster which, BTW, will be played at Empower Stadium. Huge for both of them. Looking up and down the provisional roster, it’s clearly the best of the best we have to offer. Loaded with talent. Good for both of them. If their play from Saturday is any indication…. They deserve to be there.

Maarten van 242 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Paul Tenorio makes predictions on the final 23 for the roster and doesn't include Acosta and Vines.

https://theathletic.com/2579105/2021/05/10/usmnt-nations-league-roster-predictions/

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    After watching the Rapids since the arrival of Namli I worry that his style of play slows down the Rapids' attack as he prefer to go one v one too often rather than move the ball quickly to teammates. Holding onto the ball slows down the speed of play of the team and makes it easier for the opposition.

Bassett on the other hand, works his a** off on both sides of the ball. He presses hard and runs the goalie. When he receives the ball he is looking to play it in a positive way and also moves all over the pitch to support his teammates when they are in possession.

Andy126 repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's not get carried away.

Bassett was very good Saturday night, and we needed it. But before Saturday, he hadn't been very effective, and some posters here were wondering why he wasn't playing better. I was wondering that as well.

I agree that Namli, especially in midfield, slows the team down and that Bassett (at his best) is a better fit there. It seems that Fraser wants to play with 3 #8-types in midfield, and Bassett fills that role better. If we were to play a consistent #10, meaning 1 central midfielder being committed mostly to attack, then Namli could fit there. If not, I'd rather see Namli on the wing like last season.

Andy126, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  19. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    This was posted on the /r/MLS subreddit. "MLS Offensive Production Map through 5/9 showing teams' Goals per Game as well as Expected Goals per Game."

Not surprised to see us dead center.

[​IMG]

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids loaned Yaya Toure to the Springs today

SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the labels on this graph. First of all the middle lines aren't accurate as the vertical blue line is a slightly higher value than the horizontal blue line. Those should represent the same value so their intersection is the 0 point between them.

Then you look at a team like DC who's in the "Bad Production, Bad Execution" quadrant, but their actual goals are higher than their expected goals. To me that looks like Bad Production, Good Execution. While Nashville, who's actual goals are below 1.5 while expected goals are almost 2 is in the Good/Good quadrant, but I'd call that Good/Bad.

SccrDon and therapidsnumbernine repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

AlbertCamus, SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

AlbertCamus and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight I watched some of our boys play a big role as the Switchbacks demolished SKC II 4-0 in KC. COS scored three quick goals in the first half and coasted to a victory, They played a man up or 50 minutes which helps. Brendan Bruke has them playing a nice attractive brand of football. They play at speed and very direct. Fun to watch. Anyways...... Michael Edwards and Seb Anderson started and played 90 minutes while Philip Mayaka and Yaya Toure made their professional debuts, both entering in the 72nd minute. Observations on all 4 players........

Anderson: Solid outing. Strong RB. Nothing got by him. Positionally sound. Good on the tackle and move fluidly into the attack. He pinged a couple of beautiful 40-50 yard diagonals into the path of the opposite winger. You can tell he’s developing accordingly. Looks like Anderson is taking his opportunity with the Switchbacks and running with it. I would not be surprised to see him challenge Rosenberry in the next 12-18 months.

Edwards: An absolutely beast at CB and arguably the best player on the pitch for both clubs. Hadji Barry was the MOTM with a brace, but for me Edwards was the top dog. He’s huge - 6’3” 200 libs - and moves like a cat. He was barking out orders and taking command of the back line. His positioning was very good. Cool, calm, and collected, Usually young CB’s tend to be reactive and not proactive. Edwards was proactive moving quickly and efficiently into position, knowing when to close down tight and when to give a little space for himself. He correctly picked up runners in his area or correctly passed them off to maintain his positioning. I was surprised with his comfort on the ball. His passing was outstanding. He hit two line breaking passes, where he stepped forward, took a couple of dribbles under pressure, and played to Hadji Barry. One of those passes led to a shot on goal.

It might take a season of maturation at COS before we see him in a Rapids uniform but I suspect we have ourselves a very good prospect. I kept wondering how the hell we snagged this kid. He was well thought of at Wolfsburg and was reportedly a high prospect. They said on the broadcast that Wolfsburg disbanded their reserve side (Wolfsburg II) and instead will be partnering with an Austrian side to send top prospects on loan, They said Wolfsburg and USMNT’ player John Brooks was a mentor. You can tell. Edwards has a lot of “Brooks” in his game.

Toure: 18 minutes and he hit the ground running. Immediately taking on players and playing very direct. He saw a lot of the ball. I’ll tell you what..... very confident young player. Within 3 minutes, made a nice run towards goal on a counterattack and whacked the crossbar on a shot from just inside the 18. So close! He was dribbling through traffic, pressuring defenders, and trying to score. Now.... he did take the risky approach with his passing and dribbling but up 3-0, you can take that chance. I liked what i saw. Didn’t look like a 16 year old.

Mayaka: Not quite as active as Toure in his 18 minutes but a solid debut in the middle of the park. Mayaka got on the ball a few times and successfully switched the point of attack or recycled the ball. He kept it tidy and safe by making the correct decisions. He was always moving and looking for the ball. Mayka did pick up a late yellow card for a tackle. He plrobaky earned himself some more minutes.

Rod1916, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.