News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I mean, this is a solid bit of business. If you know Acosta is on the way out and you're not actively working on filling that gap, then that's a problem. Going off and signing a defender or a striker - which while we have complaints about those positions, we're actually doing pretty well in the league for both offensive and defensive stats - and then losing Acosta with no replacement?

That leaves the team unbalanced. Without Acosta's presence in midfield, we're soft serve ice cream at best. I think its a good bit of business actually. Kaye's fast, physical, and smart. Bringing him in keeps our balance as a team, and then allows us to still go and get a striker/defender/whatever. If Acosta doesn't move til the end of the season, then it's even better.

Our midfield is our biggest problem right now. Weve got plenty of people that can score goals. We've got good emergency defenders.

What we don't have is someone who steps up and stops Wood from making that 60yd run. Acosta does that. Kaye does that.

Plus Kaye doesn't take up an international slot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mezquida is also out of contract after this season. Mezquida currently also takes up an international slot, and it also remains to be seen what his future with the club will be.

Honestly, overall, I am excited about this deal. I think it's a really good move. Go ahead and quote this post in a year if I'm wrong. I don't think I will be.

m vann, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Acosta moving to Europe or is the long-rumored Cole Bassett deal happening? On ETR this week they talked about this and apparently there have been numerous offers on him.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there's been a lot of sniffing around for Bassett, but Kaye is such a obvious Acosta replacement on the heels of Kellyn playing lights out for the Nats (yes, he's been that good, Nats "fans" who hate MLS players can take a flying leap) it just seems to be a loud signal that Acosta is on his way out in the next ~6 months.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta has been pretty upfront about Europe and the Rapids seem happy not to step in his way provided they receive a solid and reasonable offer. So I’m curious…… do you think the move for Kaye has been in the pipeline for a while or do you think Acosta’s play in the Gold Cup (and potential for European suitors) fast tracked the move? Or it is somewhere in-between where the Rapids had an eye on the Kaye situation at LAFC, Acosta’s interest was known, and the RFO just decided now was the time to pull the trigger on the trade?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    Not many left backs on the market in MLS at the moment (nor many I'd rather have over Vines). I wonder if we will look outside of MLS. Summer window makes it a bit easier to sign players from abroad.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    @JasonMa beat me to posting the link to The Athletic article on the Kaye acquisition. For me Stejskal did a good job of explaining the financial piece from the perspective of both teams. I can never wrap my head around the purpose and uses of TAM and GAM, so this piece helped me in this particular case.

I would recommend the article.

It does seem the Rapids are planning on leaving one or both of Acosta and Bsssett leaving for Europe in the next six months. If this is the case, I wonder if Namli will also become more valuable to the Rapids next season than he has been (in my mind) in his limited time with the Rapids thus far?

8. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I'd even try to keep Namli at this point....

COMtnGuy and Sports Yak repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was reminded of something today when it comes to Vines' and the rumored low number we're getting for him. Minimum release clauses.

For those of you unaware of them, its not uncommon for young players who think they're on their way up to ask for (and get) a minimum release clause in their contracts with "lower" league teams. Its a way to ensure they don't get stuck at a team who won't let them progress in their careers should they improve and be ready to go to the next level. If a team offers at least the minimum number in the contract their current team has to agree to sell them.

So when Vines' signed a new contract, knowing he wanted to go to Europe, he might have gotten a minimum release clause for $2M or so, which would explain why we're rumored to not be getting more for him than that.

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I hear you on this. I am not a fan of how Namli fits in with what Fraser is working to get the Rapids to do on the pitch. In particular I am not sure of how he is on the high press and defending in general.

Previously, I advocated for the Rapids to not exercise the option to buy this winter.

At the same time, the Rapids need to be thinking about who plays the #10 role if both Bassett and Namli aren't Rapids come next March

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, you know, just don't have a #10. Acosta-Kaye-Price, two wingers, striker.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I’m assuming the “media availability” is happening Wednesday.

Regardless, hope there will be questions from the media that go beyond the MAK acquisition and include Vines and other moves the Rapids would like to make this window.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    A midfield of Kellyn Acosta, Jack Price, and Mark Anthony-Kaye is absolutely stacked.

We all said how much better Namli looks on the wing, so yeah.

Picture that:
    BFDD0002-B510-4867-8DAC-7ABFDFF52417.jpeg

That’s a scary front 6 for anyone to have to face.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thursday. Its just Robin's normal pre-match media availability but Smith is joining him for this one.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, Doesn't MLS have a say in this stuff?
    I thought I recall some transfer not going through because MLS HQ said the transfer fee offer "wasn't good enough". I just can't wrap my head around that rumored low fee for a LB, one of the rarest positions to find players at.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a few years ago, they've taken a much more hands off approach since then.

And again, if its in the contract the Rapids don't have a choice.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Kaye wanted to get paid or get out of LA and LAFC wasn't going to pay him.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-the-mark-anthony-kaye-trade-tells-us-about-lafc

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    FWIW, in the comment section below The Athletic article on the MAK trade, Stejskal responds to a question from a reader about Acosta going to Europe. He states that he doesn't think it's going to happen in part because of Acosta's age. Additionally, he says there have been no firm offers to buy him.

JasonMa, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard the same recently from sources. Also that the supposed "many teams interested" in Bassett don't exist and the couple of offers of interest they have gotten have been much lower than what they're looking for.

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This somewhat looks good until WCQ rears its head and takes both Acosta and Kaye for a match or two at a time.

First set of three WCQ is Sept. 2-8.

Also, I wouldn't count out Galván working his way into a starting spot.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This matches what I've heard (I didn't have a name, just position and country)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, Rod1916 and m vann repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like he hasn’t been getting playing time with the Palmeiras first team in recent seasons.
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/lucas-esteves/profil/spieler/688668

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense to dip into the market and nab a LB in anticipation of Vines leaving. Not much out there on Esteves. He doesn’t have a whole lot of 1st team experience. You’d have to figure Esteves has a decent pedigree coming from the famed Palmerias.