News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Plus Vines is left footed which is relatively rare.

Maybe with Tessmann the price is higher based on his potential where as Vines is more of a known commodity.

Also, don't want to see the Rapids follow in the footsteps of FC Dallas and be continuously selling very young players and at the same time not doing well where it counts, in the MLS standings. It's extremely important (to me as a support and season ticket holder) that when players get sold to a Euro side there is a plan in place to "replace" that player and keep the Rapids competitive in the MLS.

2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with others that $2 million (inclusive of incentives) feels like a fire sale price for Vines, and I hope this reported fee is misquoted. He's one of best LBs in the league (a position thats notoriously hard to find good players for), getting call-ups for the national team, and had multiple clubs take interest in him. Surely Padraig wouldn't be so stupid to let such a valuable asset go for so cheaply literal months after signing him to a new long-term deal.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if its $2M up front with likely incentives that will get us closer to $5M instead of $4M+ upfront I'm ok with that. I'd rather him go to a good spot for him and spread the payment out than hold out for $4M up front and have him end up on the bench in Italy or something.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this has happened far to much in MLS history.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, since I don't think Rapids can get Vines "pulled" from Gold Cup play, I expect he will not be officially signed until after our run is done.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about that (the signing, they can't pull him). Abbie over and Burgundy Wave was reporting that we'd likely get an announcement this week. All they need him to do is sign some papers and pass a physical, though I'm sure his USMNT camp physical is enough for that.

7. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Well, Acosta came on in about the 58' at right back and was involved immediately :)

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    It was a soft PK he gave up, but a PK nonetheless unfortunately. I mean, he was subbed in to play RB, so it’s completely different than his normal part of the field, so maybe he thought he was further outside the box lol

10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I’ve always enjoyed these animated graphics, but it’s also nice to see the Rapids enjoying being near the top for a while:

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I too thought it was a bit soft. Acosta was getting beat 1 v 1 and put his arm into the attacking player's stomach (not a punch) but didn't pull/grab. Attacking player went down and was awarded the PK.

After that, Acosta was very involved in positives ways, in particular he hit many passes that broke Martinique's lines and a few that got onto the feet of players in the box.

One of the commentators remarked that Acosta was the best choice to come on for Shaq Moore.

Starting the the game v Canada, things get a bit more serious for the US. Had the US scored one more goal, or conceded one less last night they would have been in first place in thee goal differential. So to win the group and theoretically avoid Mexico before the final a win is necessary on Sunday. Starting with that match we'll see who Berhalter really trusts to get results. Also, for players like Vines, it will be a test of whether or not they are going to make the 'A' team and get call-ups for WC qualifiers.

12. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I completely agree. Even though we’re out of the group, there’s bragging rights on the line. Canada’s been coming on strong and will be wanting to outplay the US. They’ve got a lot of their best players too, so it won’t be an “easy game.”

Acosta has proven himself worthy of the A Team callup. Tyler Adams is #1 on the depth chart for the 6 role, but Acosta shows really well there, and his utility capability is too valuable not to have.

I hate the term “make or break,” but this feels like a make or break game for Lewis for sure, but also in a way for Vines this whole tournament.

If Vines wants to be the A Team guy and get minutes, he needs to give Berhalter a reason to bench Cannon with the full Nats. Berhalter likes playing Dest on the left so he can get Cannon in his natural position. Vines, while good, won’t start over Dest. He could work his way to earn a start over Cannon or say a Yedlin tho. Having great performances in the gold cup is a perfect way to get moving along that path.

At 22 he really needs to put in a good showing against a good team to show that he deserves to be the either the out and out starter - and allow Dest to play RB - or the ‘game 2 rotation’ guy with the full Nats.

COMtnGuy and unkiemark repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    During World Cup qualifying there will need to be a fair amount of squad rotation as there are windows with three matches in short succession. I figure pretty much anyone who makes the 23 (?) man roster will get some playing time.

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jrowe13 repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    You know, I follow several of the teams around the league, and several teams in several sports. I have to say, the amount of time and energy spent by the Rapids on edifying and promoting their Special Olympic team is 2nd to none.

They give them their own media spotlights, interviews, etc. My wife works with special needs clients and even with firsthand experience I can’t describe the joy that things like this brings. Good work on the club.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Journalist in Italy says Busio deal is confirmed for €4m ($4.7m in dollars) + add ons…

Wonder if this news is delaying the Vines news and Padraig and co are looking to increase the rumored 2m price for Vines.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scouting doesn't seem to be getting any better.

22SteveD repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vines & Acosta are both in the starting XI this afternoon as the Yanks face the Canucks.

COMtnGuy, 22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either you're misinterpreting Doyle or I'm misinterpreting you. Seems like the Rapids scouting got this right from Doyle's POV. He's saying that Mayaka should have been #1 or #2, not dropped to #3.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep we are saying the same thing. We know the Rapids didn't have an international slot for Mayaka, so we loaned him to get some PT. I fully expect him to be in the mix next year.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit surprised with Namli in the IL (and as such, his international slot open) we haven't recalled Mayaka for some time with the first team. We must feel that regular time in the Springs is better than sub appearances in Commerce City.

unkiemark and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    And in particular with Acosta on Nats duty. I assume that Mayaka will play a similar role to Acosta with the Rapids. It seems he's not starting with the Switchbacks so perhaps Fraser & Co. feel he's not MLS ready at this point.

Regardless, with call-ups and fixture congestion the Rapids need a few reinforcements.

JasonMa repped this.