2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Final - USA vs Mexico, August 1st, 2021

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Regulus Tera, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    Of course I remember...he also coached Mexico to the best WC showing since 98...

2. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Also at some point you have to stop mentally masturbating to ideal solutions and be realistic. It's Mexico. People aren't going to stop going to games so long as the teams wins something here and there. Good solutions do not start with fans.

El Pipiripau and Serg33 repped this.
  3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    We can't now if we haven't started qualifying but so far in 2021, nothing looks good. El Salvador has probably the weakest squad along with Panama and look how we looked against them. In 2021, the only squad that Mexico looked good is an Honduras side that was missing all their good players because of injuries and COVID.

Gacm32 and erdons repped this.
  4. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don’t think this team is bad, it still reached the regional final and we have another 20 or so young players in medal contention at the olympics. We also have jj and arteaga who will also be in the mix.

beat junky, LGRod and Serg33 repped this.
  5. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In between world cups, Mexico used to participate in the confederations cup and the Copa America. Now we have only the nations league and the gold cup.

Meanwhile at the club level, Mexican clubs no longer get to test their mettle in the libertadores or sudamericana.

The power structure of our region and our federation simply don’t create a very compelling atmosphere anymore for the sport. But it’s enough for the masses to keep forking over a small fortune to keep going to games in the states. I’m more apathetic than anything when you consider this reality.

But I’ll be up on Tuesday at 4am. :coffee:

6. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    We're qualifying....yes or no?

Romario'sgurl, Sanchito and LGRod repped this.
  7. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    By luck. That year's Gold Cup Mexico came in second in the group, where T&T came in first. Mexico was seconds away from losing to a 10 man Panama team in semi's, before a lucky pk to take it to extra time where they won and also a last minute pk against Costa Rica for the victory before going to penalty shootouts in the quarterfinals. Piojo's teams in the Gold Cup was probably the most dissapointing, given that this was 5-6 years ago and we had our strongest players, including Vela. lol. Can't believe some fans still want his shitty ass back and just ignore that tournament with how crap we played given all that talent we had.

8. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The squad on paper isn't bad but that doesn't mean much if we can't translate it on the field. Yeah we got to the final but we had the better squad coming in and failed to win. That's the consequence of failing after that dumb strategy.

LGRod repped this.
  9. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Before people crown Lozano, remember how much the preolympic squad struggled in the final vs Honduras in Guadalajara. I’m proud of Jimmy but he’s way too green and he’s just getting started.

You can’t draw many useful conclusions from the way we play against concacaf opponents.

We sleepwalked with Osorio in this region in qualifiers and were largely exposed vs higher level competition.

We finished 4th out of 6th place in the hexagonal in road to 2014 and then had arguably our best world cup outside of Mexico.

10. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don’t watch it. Total waste of 2+ hours

Salmos, LGRod and AMLO2018 repped this.
  11. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We better not be in Qatar next summer, the team would be showing up like 4 months too early

12. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    Lol....my bad

13. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It was nowhere close to a cake walk, remember we needed a Chilena, a new coach and 2 games against New Zealand just to make it.

beat junky repped this.
  14. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I forgot chuki and Raul, we’ll be alright in wcqs

Dos_santos and Serg33 repped this.
  15. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What???? Bruh

beat junky repped this.
  16. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That game was terrible...

Salcedo and pizzaro plus Pulido are garbage..

Baysic and AMLO2018 repped this.
  17. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    I’ve said the both suck ass...

18. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What's the point of your question? I think we can still do but I have a lot more doubt and it's a crisis now, unlike the Nations League.

But whatever, I don't like people freaking out and not making good analysis but you're basically always going on to shit on every concern as if things are never bad. We might be on a similar like in 2013, where I remember some defended Chepo after his horrible summer with the attitude about "everything is going to be alright" and we qualified by an absolute miracle. Spain vs Ivory Coast this Saturday type miracle.

erdons repped this.
  19. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    Raul will not be the same. He has lost 50%!of his artillery

erdons repped this.
  20. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    IDK I agree. I don't remember 98 that much but I remember every squad since and 2014 is the best squad I've personally seen.

21. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The difference was Mexico was atrocious that entire year in qualifiers before the gold cup that summer. I think most of the board was actually done with chepo by that summer.

That team couldn’t generate a single thing in qualifiers.

Apples to oranges.

Serg33 repped this.
  22. revilla18

revilla18 Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is a nightmare right ? In still sleeping, I’ll wake up soon; and watch the Gold cup final tonight [emoji1430]...... [emoji24]

23. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don’t think inexperience is bad if a coach has shown an ability to win, adapt, and motivate. Coaches like players only get worse and predictable as they age.

24. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    A lot needs to improve....but I'm not freaking out and think we're in a crisis.

Crisis was going to a repechage...I seriously doubt that's going to happen this time

Sanchito and El Pipiripau repped this.
  25. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Meh, that was always the weakest part of his game anyway.

26. wolfpupz

wolfpupz Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    SJCA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

not so sure about Raul losing 50% of his artillery. He almost scored a header ( or at least was decent header)here at the 1:17 mark

SGuerrilla, superm and rich loc repped this.