2021 CONCACAF Champions League (R)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Apr 6, 2021.

1. ilyazhito

ilyazhito Member

Manchester United
    Spain
    Feb 9, 2021
    Kick in the head is easily a DFK offense, with at least a yellow for committing the offense in a reckless manner, if not red for excessive force. I would lean towards red in this situation, because a kick to the head is dangerous, period.

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needs a bump

Thegreatwar and Bradley Smith repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    What makes you think they aren’t still paying for the apartment?

4. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Here's a video of a couple things from last nights Union - CA game.

Mbaizo take a hand to the face and loses a tooth.
    PK for CA - not a whole lot there.
    No PK for Burke - yes a shoulder challenge but...

5. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm not seeing the official list posted anywhere, I think it was Fisher at VAR that gave this... I mean, there has to be a different angle, because I can't believe this was given by VAR (in real time the referee played on).

1426028169266712581 is not a valid tweet id

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was an angle down the 18 they gave that was probably the best look at the contact?
    I did not and do not think this was clearly wrong to play on, but I would also support a foul if given. Still, I'd like to see all the angles again in case there's something that changes my mind. I don't know if this is something PRO would broach on their video. I would think not, but they're at least involved enough to send the outcomes out on Twitter.

7. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Well.. watching the Union vs Club America. IMO a very clear DOGSO just got given as a yellow. VAR did not intervene. If I get a video, I'll post it.. but I am struggling to see how is this given as a yellow in the box. No play on the ball at all.

8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don’t understand how you justify a yellow. What is the caution for? Aren’t your only choices there as a red either no card or dogso. Obvious dogso imho….but in no scenario is that a yellow.

Barciur repped this.
  9. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    And now... foul by Bedoya, who is on a yellow card already. No card was given. VAR calls over for an OFR... they look it, spend over a minute looking at the potential red card review which ends in... nothing. Bizarre.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having seen neither of these clips and based solely on your posts, I'm even more convinced that CONCACAF somehow made the correct decision to not use VAR in WCQs.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it has happened, but I can't remember an OFR for a red card ending up not being even a yellow.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2021-9-15_21-31-24.png

13. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's 100% a red for DOGSO.

So I guess the OFR is for the leg coming down on the foot of the attacker? Seems like a probable yellow, but I don't know how this gets sent down for SFP. Almost seems like a situation where the VAR was trying to make a 2nd yellow happen and the ref was like "nope this is CONCACAF".

rh89, JasonMa and Barciur repped this.
  15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Agree. But my question is…what is the possible justification for a yellow? Like how do you report that? Other than stating that you misapplied the laws?

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I would imagine it is written down either as DOGSO yellow or SPA. (The only explanation I have for the mistake is that in the heat of the moment the R is thinking PK + DOGSO = yellow, and forgetting the rest of the requirements. That is understandable to me--but it is not understandable to me that the VAR didn't engage to get it fixed.)

On the second, I think SFP is absolutely defensible. But I don't think failing to send off is a clear error, though I am lost on how it could not be at least a caution. (I would guess that the R was focused on "is it SFP" and got lost on the fact that he could issue a caution based on the video if he disagreed with the VAR that it was SFP--but again, the VAR should have been able to help, at least asking if he was going to caution.) Hanlon's razor here--we don't need to assume a deliberate violation of norms to understand this getting sent down.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having now seen both clips, this is still the takeaway.

Just a disaster all-around.

The first must be DOGSO-red. There's no alternative. The only "excuse," in the heat of the moment, is the idea that the other defender who is more central is "covering." But that's demonstrably false on replay.

The second is bizarre. Maybe there's enough to justify a red if it is given, but it's not clearly a red so it's a bad send down. Of course, the lack of yellow in the first place is poor refereeing. Then you have the added component that a bad send down for SFP when a player is already on a yellow does create the backdoor where you're obligated to show the 2CT. But in a match where you probably know you biffed the earlier DOGSO that would have benefited the home team, do you really want to produce that 2CT on what amounts to a bad recommendation by the VAR? He's essentially created the double jeopardy that isn't supposed to exist. Of course, that is IF the referee understands he's obligated to give that second yellow. Either he doesn't, which is bad. Or he knows it and is opting not to, because of all the context. Also quite bad. From the moment that foul gets called, it appears there is a series of bad decision that ultimately result, somehow, in Bedoya not getting sent off when he 100% should.

CONCACAF.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States