2021 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Mar 1, 2021.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Please let it be Sam Kerr!

59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Would help the offense more. Probably need more defense. How’s Ertz?

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We don't know yet. Praying it's not bad news.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  4. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I want Lieke Martens.

Reign Man repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    cept she’s Olympic bound, thus will train over the summer with the Dutch NT, plus she’s had injury problems in her career, so don’t think she would take chances even coming over right before an major tourney as well as the mucho dinero she makes for Barcelona(though usually based on one, two year contracts)

got to say I don’t know either what’s wrong with CRS? On paper, they got 8 current & former USWNT players plus 4 others that made youth NT squads. And then several went to play in Australia’s W-league(which play in winter(their summer)) & dominated stats like goals/assists vs the natives, so hence CRS could be considered stronger than FIFA ranked top 10 team like Australia.
    Would hate to see Dames get fired; he’s only 1 of 3 American coaches in the NWSL compared to 6 English & 1 Frenchie.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, for one, you can't compare club strength to NT strength like that - just doesn't work. Especially, in this case, as most of Australia's best players don't play in the W-League any more, so that's a big blind spot for that comparison. Also, "former" and "youth" NT players by definition aren't on the same level as current active senior NT players, so those facts are more trivia than they are useful points of comparison for team strength. I don't think anyone would ever consider this CRS as on the same level as a FIFA top ten NT - or most iterations of any NWSL teams, for that matter. RGN, NC, and POR at their peaks, maybe.

And you'll falling into the trap that "good" players are good in any environment and stay good no matter what changes around them, both of which are very much untrue. Lack of chemistry, (either with teammates or with the coach,) adaptive opponents, and just plain staleness mean you can't rely on roster alone to say how strong a team is or not.

59Amerinorsk, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    (different post for different topic)
    Well, nationality should be a relatively low concern. IMO, a coaching change would be an opportunity to get another female coach, especially if it was a former player. Honestly, if I wasn't holding out hope for STL to eventually get an NWSL team, I'd say it'd be awesome to see Chalupny move up from her post at Maryville University to return to CHI as coach.

Reign Man and MRAD12 repped this.
  8. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    perfect perspective

Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I forgot the Fire are playing that day as well but at 5:00, a couple hours prior at Soldier Field. They're sucking as well.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #35 hotjam2, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    not trying to be scientific but remembering the 2019 W-League final, completely dominated by current & former CRS player & that's depite a host of Aussie NT squaders(bigger names include Kerr, Foord, Kennedy, Logarzo)
    Sydney vs. Perth Glory - 16 February 2019 - Women Soccerway

Ive read a few articles where the Aussie media is complete 'panic' as once you get past their starting 11, there's nothing left! They don't go deep & they simply got nothing promising moving up, as the 2019 Asian u20 semi & third place scorelines shows, yep 1-9 loss to South Korea
    Summary - AFC U19 Women's Championship - Asia - Results, fixtures, tables and news - Women Soccerway

added with a couple big losses in recent friendlies as well as their heralded FB's Carpenter & Cately, still on the injury list, it's easy to see why they are in shocksville
    I'm worried it might be Casey Stoney(since she resigned from Man U), who at first I did admire as an coach, that's until half her starters got injured under her watch!

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well that's two years out, so definitely not a good comparison point now.

Rest of your discussion about Australia is pretty tangential... Sounds like you're arguing that they should be seen as weaker than FIFA's top ten, and even if so, that says nothing about whether CHI is on par with a generic top ten NT or not.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Chances are nil. She's already been linked to San Diego, and if San Diego doesn't work out, there's the upcoming opening in POR as well.

13. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on Kelsey Turnbow signing this season?

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is better news than I thought could be.

Cassie Miller is playing well for the Red Stars so Alyssa should take her time to heal.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Red Stars and their fans had a blast in Louisville this weekend. Wish our team would have won a couple games but hey, it's OK, players got to play in a fantastically beautiful stadium in sunshine, fans got to get out of town and go a few hours down I-65 and have some fun, there was good food, nice bonding, all good!

59Amerinorsk, Klingo3034 and cpthomas repped this.
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    59Amerinorsk, Jiggly_333 and Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So this looks to me like Sarah Luebbert has gone or has been loaned to Mexican League Club America, by request of Craig Harrington. Interesting. I haven't seen her on Red Stars rosters lately.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My questions is,

Where is Julie Ertz? Doesn't seem like she has been around the team since the Olympics. She's the Captain. Where is she?

19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    She hurt.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So is Alyssa Naeher but she was there last game on the bench supporting her teammates.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting question this raises. I do not find any information that Naeher is married or has a partner. (Maybe she is or does, but if so I do not see any easily accessible info about it.) On the other hand, as we know, Julie is married. Her husband plays for the Philadelphia Eagles. He likewise currently is injured. So, in a situation like the Ertz family, what do they do, especially when both are injured? Pick a location and be together? Be with their teams and be apart? Be together, but travel to team games? I opt for being together, but after that I am not sure what is the best option.

59Amerinorsk and MRAD12 repped this.
  22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I get that. But Julie Ertz hasn't twittered about the team, mentioned the team anywhere that I know of even after the Red Stars making the playoffs, again.
    She is the Captain of the team. Very strange.

jnielsen, 59Amerinorsk and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Will Carli Lloyd finish her pro career where she started?
    She started in 2009 with the Chicago Red Stars at Toyota park (now SeatGeek).

Let's hope so! :)

59Amerinorsk and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars fans, for the playoff game in Portland I have one stray seat (near our seats, but a little away) that I am happy to give to a Red Stars fan who wants it. Section 119, Row T, Seat 14. PM me if you want it, with a cell phone #, and I will have SeatGeek send it to your phone. The ordinary Providence Park Covid protocol requires proof of vaccination (card or photo of card) which is checked on entry and masks except when eating or drinking.

jnielsen repped this.