2021 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Mar 1, 2021.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1 MRAD12, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Let's start off 2021 Chicago Red Stars year with the announcement of a new ownership team.

https://www.chicagoredstars.com/post/chicago-red-stars-introduce-groundbreaking-new-ownership-group

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why are the Red Stars the only team that will not allow fans in the stadium during it's Challenge Cup home games?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Are they? I've seen mentions of Challenge Cup tickets for all Eastern teams, but no confirmations of anything for Western teams except HOU. (KC and RGN have season ticket deposits available, but nothing I can see for the Challenge Cup)

5. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Considering current Washington state COVID regs it seems highly unlikely the Reign will be able to have fans in for the Cup. Season ticket holders haven't been told anything. I'd be very surprised if we get to go.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Both PSG & Bayern got a lot of young players on their squads(for example; two 20 year olds are arguably BM’s best players & then they got an couple of 18 year olds that look good too). But they do play at an way slower pace. preferring to pass the ball dozens of times before finally living up. They might get overwhelmed by the NWSL’s more direct style, especially if their pressed hard at the back.
    Hopefully both clubs got time to give clinics to the local youths as they are more technical advanced

MRAD12 repped this.
  9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRAD12 and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I suppose CRS couldn’t afford Kerr’s reported 600K salary an year she makes now at Chelsea. Wait till Ertz & Davidson are back and Chicago will rise again

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Defense isn't Chicago's problem. As Fanaddict said, CHI needs someone with proven scoring boots. I guess it's "good" that this issue is being so obvious already a month or so before the regular season starts. CHI won't get back to the CC final, but this gives them the warning to start shopping around now.

cpthomas and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Amazing that Red Stars can't put the ball in the net. I'm starting to think it's the midfield. I know it's a veteran midfield and they have been there for a long time, but there is something wrong there and I can't put my finger on it.

13. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Midfield is doing its job by getting the ball into the final third. It's just that the Red Stars don't have anyone willing to take the shot.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Portland’s best chances came in when they were able to isolate Short, so where was the rest of the defense?

last year CHI did get both Kelea & Rachel Hill, but didn’t bring in Hill(in this game) till the 77th minute, apparently Doniak was the central striker(thought she was an mid)

seems like a bit of rust overall in the NWSL but so far it’s been the year of the newbie over established goal scorers, how long is the open signing season?

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Red Stars just look stale. Maybe they've been together too long. I don't know.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seattle could only sustain two years of excellence before hitting staleness; FCKC had three. With the pandemic year last year, hard to say if NC's streak truly faltered or not, but if it did, that was also after three years. If CHI has gone stale now, they've had a damn good five-year run of consistent playoff quality.

Reign Man and blissett repped this.
  17. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.stumptownfooty.com/2021...rounce-chicago-red-stars-5-0-in-season-opener

EMBARRASSING!

This is the result of two months of prepping? We knew this game was going to be tough for the Red Stars, Portland is stacked and clicking on all cylinders, but come on!

I hope that the team rebounds and starts clicking, but hard core fans and especially long time season ticket holders can't help but ask, has this team become stagnant? Has it become stale? Do some of the players who have been in Chicago for years need new scenery? Do the Red Stars need new scenery on the Coaches bench?

Klingo3034 and CoachJon repped this.
  19. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think it needs to be the new coach.
    I've always said that Rory Dames is an amazing GM. But when it comes to actually coaching the team, I don't really see much from him. If he's willing to take the role of GM, that'd be great. If not, then I'm fine with simply moving on.

Klingo3034 and MRAD12 repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree.

BTW, are you going to be there Saturday with usual family members?

21. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Likely, I won't be going. I'm putting priority on going to the Fire game, but I hope that I can make both. Don't know how things will work out yet.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRAD12, if you are concerned, then there must be something to be concerned about. I do not recall ever seeing a game like that between the Red Stars and Thorns, normally they are great games.

Perhaps too, there is something to say for stability. The Thorns basically have been intact since the beginning of the 2020 so called season, except for the addition of Kuikka (who did not play on Sunday, but throughout the Challenge Cup was the starting right back and I am guessing is carrying some kind of minor injury). And, I think they just added Yasmeen Ryan who just finished up her college career at TCU. I think it is hard for teams when they are in the process of integrating key players.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Chicago may bring in two European based players so who knows who they are and how much they will be able to contribute.

59Amerinorsk and MRAD12 repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe Rory wanted to give this group one more shot at winning it all. That's why he protected the core from expansion. Next year will be a different ball game as two teams are coming in the league. To me this team is just stagnant, not improving. This midfield maybe has been together too long, I don't know. I don't think any Red Stars fan thought they would win in Portland last Sunday, but to get blown out like that and to see that defense getting cut up like cheese was disheartening. I'm not sure I am the only CRS fan concerned.

First game, long season. Maybe this blowout was needed to wake them up. We'll see.