2021-22 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 29, 2021.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    IASocFan, kcscsupporter and BenDover repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need wise it would fit, but I don't see PV using the _AM required to get him and then using more _AM to buy down him or Russell to stay roster compliant. PV has never really been one to use _AM to acquire players via trade within the league he's always seemed to be acquiring it.

mschofield repped this.
  5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've often wondering, saving it for a rainy day or as part of the annual budget

6. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's definitely a better fit for the squad than Altidore, but likely not going to happen for the reasons Buzz explained. That said, I would not be opposed to this move. Nikola is on loan and Shelton is never going to be a productive 9.

As for the No. 6 - your "starting caliber 6" is now Uri. Like it or not, Uri/Mauri was the calculation PV made when letting a (relatively for a 6) expensive Illie leave. Mauri is out and Uri is all we've got. We're not getting another one.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inca Roads and mschofield repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    maybe now we can? i think a it's clear that Uri will be able to play about every fourth game.
    With $660,000 for Mauri, plus an int slot, what do we need right now? Or do we play Walter there and so we need a new 8? or do we need a new Right back?
    My vote is a 6/8. I think at that price point, we can get a very good one and our midfield is killing us.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still don't see PV spending the _AM to acquire and buy him down.

Personally I'd like to get a more mobile 6, but one that can also do the passing PV wants is obviously going to be out of our price range, so I await the August "panic buy" for whatever position has the most injuries at the time.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We need a 6 just about right the hell now. We needed a 6 months ago.

Arguably, we needed to invest in a 6 three years ago.

I'd be surprised if the team signs a new dmid before the summer, but jesus christ we need such a guy as soon as absolutely possible.

mschofield and IASocFan repped this.
  11. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Def need a 6. Playing Walter there should not be considered for any single game, much less long term. He’s just bad at that role. He’s an effective 8. We get weaker at two positions moving Walter back.

mschofield repped this.
  12. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind see Zardes lead our forward line, but I don't see it happening. On a related note, wouldn't it have been nice for PV and the gang to address the CF spot in Dec/Jan, when the Pulido injury was "discovered"?

As all have said, a 6 is the most glaring need. They need to move away from the pivot 6/pass first Barca B player and get back to players like Soni Mustivar. An athletic destroyer who is a decent passer would do so much for this team. Maybe Tyler Adams likes BBQ?

mschofield repped this.
  13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They tried at least a little with the presumably sub-DP level contract for Beric. But yes it woulda helped to address it with more urgency when everyone knew the whole Shelton at the 9 was never a season long solution.

14. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point about Beric. I was excited about that prospect.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Silly modern game. He might love BBQ but his personal nutritionist won't let him eat it until he retires.
    I love that style of D-Mid, and they're affordable. as noted, the deep lying adult Busio style d-mid is also quite wonderful, but costs more than we can afford.
    We do have one option that I bring up now and then: Fontas has played quite a bit of D-Mid. If Voldemort is a player, I'd give up a smidge of mobility at dmid for a lot more mobility in the back, while keeping the PV favored tiki-taka approach guy on the field.
    As i've said, i'm not a fan of Fontas defending on the run, but he is undeniably brilliant on the ball, passing the ball, shaping our attack. I know, he's the only pro i've ever seen who might not be as fast as many who post on here, but PV loves his skill set and if we're not going to spend money on a top shelf type of 6 he likes, and bringing in the bargain brand means Ilie, Uri or Mauri, then it would be a way to get more speed on the field, and that could allow us to bring in a Zardes.

16. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster position I am most interested in updating is the head coach. I don't care who, I am just ready for something different. Like someone else on these chat threads said I want to see some of the new guys struggle to find themselves rather than the some of the older players whose ceiling is known.

17. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mschofield repped this.
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So today's press conference started brutally....

21. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question: who has the worse/most incompetent medical & athletic training staff: SKC or Borussia Dortmund?

Fire everyone in the athletic training/medical staff and start over.

22. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to play the kids. Put Pulido on whatever the season-ending injured reserve is, get the youth on the field and let's see if there are some revelations that can contribute to the 2023 first XI.

dgb09, mschofield and Dirt repped this.
  23. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, everyone can stop anticipating Kinda or Pulido coming back. What you see is what you are going to get every week from now until the end of the season.....unless they see some hidden gem they can sign in this window and/or the summer window.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We need to be looking to sign a defensive mid who can do the things we ask of a defensive mid. that won't save this season. Nothing is going to save this season. But if we're going to go into 2023 hoping not to repeat this mess, we need a massive upgrade at the 6.
    Beyond that, we do have to play the kids. There is no reason, with the prospects of this roster, to play Zusi, or Roger, or Fontas again.I'm not sure we should play Melia again. Will he be our starting keeper next year?
    Can we put together an 11 we can have any hope in? I don't think so. Of course, Kinda out for the year sucks, but he wasn't the answer, only one piece of it.

BenDover repped this.
  25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a disaster of a season vermes led us into.