2021-22 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 29, 2021.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #1 vividox, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    ROSTER MOVEMENT:

IN:
    12.20 - Ben Sweat (Free Agency; Austin FC)
    12.21 - Uri Rosell (Free Agency; Orlando City FC)
    01.11 - Esai Easley^ (SuperDraft)
    01.11 - Brett St. Martin^ (SuperDraft)
    01.14 - Logan Ndenbe (Guingamp)
    01.14 - Kortne Ford (Free Agent)
    01.19 - Robert Voloder (NK Maribor)
    01.24 - Marinos Tzionis (Omonia Nicosia)

OUT:
    11.30 - Amadou Dia (Option Declined)
    11.30 - Wilson Harris (Option Declined)
    11.30 - Luis Martins (Option Declined)
    11.30 - Roberto Puncec (Option Declined)
    11.30 - Ilie Sanchez (Option Declined)
    11.30 - Brooks Thompson (Option Declined)
    12.12 - Jaylin Lindsey (Charlotte FC)
    02.14 - Grayson Barber (waived)
    02.14 - Tyler Freeman (waived)
    03.02 - Jose Mauri (released)

LOAN (IN):
    02.15 - Nikola Vujnovic (FK Vozdovac; through 2022 season)

LOAN (OUT):

CURRENT APPROXIMATE DEPTH CHART:
    GK - Melia; Pulskamp; McIntosh
    CB - Fontas; Isimat-Mirin; Ford; Voloder; Rad; Easley^; Smith^
    FB - Zusi; Ndenbe, Sweat; St. Martin^; Pierre
    DM - Espinoza; Rosell; Walter; Duke; Hernandez
    AM - Kinda; Davis
    WF - Russell; Salloi; Tzionis; Cisneros
    CF - Pulido"; Shelton; Vujnovic

* Option
    ^ Out of contract / not officially signed
    " Disabled list

International Players: Fontas; Isimat-Mirin; Kinda; Ndenbe; Pulido"; Tzionis; Voloder; Vujnovic; Walter
    Designated Players: Kinda; Pulido"; Russell
    Homegrown Players: Barber; Cisneros; Davis; Duke; Freeman; Hernandez; Pierre; Pulskamp; Rad; Salloi

TIMELINE OF EVENTS:
    11.30 - Declined options on Dia, Harris, Martins, Puncec, Ilie, and Thompson
    11.30 - Exercised options on Felipe Hernandez and Jaylin Lindsey
    12.12 - Jaylin Lindsey traded to Charlotte FC for GAM and sell-on clause
    12.13 - Kendall McIntosh re-signed
    12.20 - Ben Sweat signed as a free agent (previously at Austin FC)
    12.21 - Uri Rosell signed as a free agent (previously at Orlando City FC)
    12.23 - Rights to signing Robert Beric (previously at Chicago Fire) acquired in Re-Entry Draft Stage Two
    01.06 - Robert Beric will not be signed by SKC, but SKC will retain his rights
    01.11 - Alan Pulido to miss 2022 season due to knee surgery
    01.11 - Esai Easley selected in the MLS SuperDraft (Round 1, Pick 22)
    01.11 - Brett St. Martin selected the MLS SuperDraft (Round 2, Pick 22)
    01.13 - Graham Zusi and Roger Espinosa re-signed
    01.14 - Logan Ndenbe acquired from Guingamp (French 2nd Division)
    01.14 - Kortne Ford acquired on Free Agency
    01.19 - Robert Voloder acquired from NK Maribor (Slovenian 1st Division)
    01.24 - Marinos Tzionis acquired from Omonia Nicosia (Cyprus 1st Division)
    02.14 - Grayson Barber and Tyler Freeman waived
    02.15 - Nikola Vujnovic acquired from FK Vozdovac (Serbia 1st Division) on loan with option to buy
    03.02 - Jose Mauri released

dgb09, IASocFan and Inca Roads repped this.
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this is easier than me putting in all the contract stuff, here's a look at contract status for everyone on the roster.

https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...oss-or-mls-cup-zusi-espinoza-ilie-kansas-city

Out of contract at the end of the year: Zusi, Espinoza, Smith, McIntosh.

Options to consider: Ilie, Lindsey, Martins, Hernandez, Puncec, Dia, Harris, Thompson

My thoughts:

Zusi: re-sign on a 1+1 but with the transition needs to really start more in 2022, whether that's Lindsey, Pierre, Duke, or someone else.
    Espinoza: I'm okay with a 1+1 here, but I'm not tied to it and could easily be talked out of it with the players KC currently has available in the midfield.
    Smith: Bye
    McIntosh: Bye

Options
    Pick up Ilie, Lindsey, Harris, Thompson

Martins: I wouldn't pick up his option, but I'll be shocked if PV doesn't pick it up.

Hernandez: I (if I was the coach) need proof of his continued recovery from his gambling issues. I don't expect any of that to be public.

Don't pick up: Puncec, Dia

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also expansion draft this year for Charlotte.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2021-mls-expansion-draft-rules-procedures

All our Homegrowns are 25 and under so all 13 will be automatically protected

That means protecting 12 of the following. KC must protect at least 3 internationals (listed in bold).
    Dia, Espinoza, Fontas, Isimat-Mirin, Kinda, Martins, Mauri, McIntosh, Melia, Pulido, Puncec, Russell, Shelton, Smith, Ilie, Walter, Zusi

So my 12
    Melia
    Russell
    Walter
    Kinda
    Pulido
    Fontas
    Isimat-Mirin
    Ilie
    Shelton
    Mauri
    Martins (PV pick)
    Zusi

So that'd leave Dia, Espinoza, McIntosh, Puncec, and Smith available for selection.

IASocFan and Inca Roads repped this.
  4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about Zusi. He's not on crutches yet (and that goal against Vancouver is still fresh in the ol' memory banks), but I also have to question: if Besler wasn't safe last year, is Zusi safe this year? I really want him to retire in an SKC jersey, but we've also GOT to get some better rotation there.

Also, being that last year's offseason felt slow for everyone due to Covid, I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of big moves this year.

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I love these threads. Though I hate how early they seem to arrive...

I hope Zusi gets one more year, if he wants it. His legs haven't fallen off yet! And I hope he learns from the muted conclusion to Besler's career that wandering off for a last year isn't gonna be quite so glamorous.

Generally I agree with the guys posting above me. Do we have any tradable assets? Shelton is the only one I can think of that the team would be happy to sell off to a league rival.

There's a ton of money in the Busio bin, and if Johnny is bought down from a DP... There might be space for a bigger midfield signing? I hope this every year.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference between Besler at the end of 2020 and Zusi at the end of 2021 is that 1 was starting and 1 wasn't. Besler didn't play again for the club after the loss to Orlando. Zusi I felt had his best season since 2018. His age at this point (will turn 36 next season) is why I'm doing the 1+1 option for him.

vividox and kcfooty repped this.
  7. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No money should be spent on any attacking players until we get 3 new outside backs and at least one new starting quality CB. The defense needs to be overhauled. I want to go back to our old school defenders. The guys that don't try to dribble out of pressure, they just clear ball 40 yards in whatever direction. I'd love to get back to having two CBs that can both deal with crosses and can both score a goal off a corner. No more defenders from Spain or (worse) S. America. I only want defenders from the good ol USof A, Scotland, England, Northern France, or any eastern block country.

Busio money - buy defenders.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why not spend money on midfielders and stop leaving our backline constantly exposed? While I agree that we need signings in the back line, I guess I struggle to agree that that's where our actual issues are stemming from.

9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I understand the sentiment, the midfield is in good shape. Mauri is your 6, Kinda your 10/8 and Walter your 8. If Espinoza comes back, you have a backup 8 and Illie is a backup 6/CB. Duke can also take on more responsibility at the 8.

Now...if you want to talk about WHY the backline is always exposed, lets do that. It's mostly stupid tactics. You can't push both outside backs up and only play one 6. That leaves a 3 man back line, two of which are Fontas and Illie, who can't cover much ground. How do you fix that? 4-4-2. 4-3-3 with conventional midfield triangle (two 6s). Don't push both Zusi and Martins high.

The issue with this team is the neglected backline. Too many misses on CBs that just aren't any good, and just flat out ignoring the outside back positions. I mean, when was the last time Zusi had real competition at the RB spot? And Seth would still find a way to start over Martins. Time to buy some defenders.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I disagree about that. Mauri has not shown me the athleticism or defensive chops he needs to. You're right it's tactics, but as long as Vermes is going to lean so hard onto that pivot player? We need to really put a star in there. Someone with both mobility and strength.

A midfield of Kinda - Walter - Mauri is just soft. There's not a lot of consistent bite in there, even though Walter has decent defensive instincts and Kinda will try hard. Put that in front of a slow back line and overused fullbacks? Yep, we know what that's a recipe for.

I think in some ways it's less "how they line up" and more what they're told to play like. The chaotic, shapeless press concept seems more and more penetrable every year. I find myself staring at team shape all the time these days. Sporting look to be one of the least-disciplined on defense in terms of positioning and shape--that has to be a fundamental decision.

So since I don't expect the tactics to change much or at least very quickly, I think what we need is a serious man of steel in the center of the park, tracking late runs like Ilie never will, winning duels like Mauri never will, and linking play together like Walter never will. It looks like we'll have a DP slot cleared this season, as Russell is supposedly being paid below the threshold now, so Dmid is precisely where I hope it gets spent.

Ignoring depth for the moment, a starting back line of Lindsey - Isi - Fontas - (any average MLS fullback) will do great with Melia behind and a destroyer in front. That's my view. Yeah, I do want a full revamp at LB though.

AdamRS repped this.
  11. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a key point. These three guys are very different in the way they think, react, attack, and defend. To me, its just not a cohesive group that can control the midfield on a consistent basis.

I'm partially with you on this one. Having a really tough 6 playing in front of the back line would be great. But, while Lindsey had times when he looked good, he also had spells where he looked very vulnerable. To me this is a place that could be improved in the off season. I like Isi and hope he stays healthy. Fontas is here for another year so PV will play him. As for as putting any average MLS fullback on the other side...well I am really sick of seeing wingers run past the SKC fullbacks. Speed is what is needed for the fullbacks (and a lot of the other positions) and average is not going to cut it.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we know that for sure at this point though? Walter and Kinda looked good together in their time. The trio of Walter, Mauri, and Kinda played 5 games together, for a combined 293 minutes, 4 of those 5 they started together. They won 3 of the 4 they started (all against non-playoff teams, Chicago (2-0 in KC), Dallas (3-1 in Dallas), Houston (4-2 in KC).

Assuming all 3 are back and you give Mauri a full preseason to get his legs under him with the team and who knows what happens. I'm not saying it'll be great, I'm just saying that we can't make a decision on whether they'll be a coherent group considering their limited time together and Mauri specifically basically being thrown in upon his arrival.

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's fair. Those three and Duke in the mix is a pretty stable start. I'd rather push the top than the depth (I mean, of goddamn course! Who wouldn't?) and leave one of Mauri or Walter to be a viable sub/rotation for the 6 or 8.

Vermes doesn't trust his depth in big games. I'd love to see a player of the caliber of Walter or Mauri be able to provide legs to the midfield 60 minutes into a game. I think Duke will do a bit of that, and I'm excited to watch his progress this next year, but I'm still really nervous about the experience level of our midfield after the starters.

14. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your backline is an absolute mess. What has Linsey done other than get injured? He may or may not be a legit MLS outside back, but he certainly has issues with durability. Isi, fine. Fontas is not a good defender. Sure, he can pass, but he does not deal with crosses well and he is still one of the slowest players in MLS. He's one of the main reasons this team did so poorly at defending crosses ball in the box.

As for Mauri, I watched him as an Inter fan when he was with AC Milan. He will be a good/great player in MLS. Just give him time to gel. Mauri/Kinda/Walter/Duke and possibly Espinoza is a very good MLS midfield.

BenDover repped this.
  15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC declined options on Ilie, Martins, Dia, Harris, Puncec, & Thompson.

Exercised options for Lindsey & Hernandez.

Negotiating with Zusi, Espinoza, & McIntosh on new contracts.

And Smith is gone.

AdamRS repped this.
  16. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the quick summary.

I'm glad the options for Illie and Martins were declined. Martins was always the weak link in the 11 and both Mauri and Walter are better 6s than Illie. That said, I am also surprised a bit.

Also glad to see they are negotiating with Zusi and Espinoza. I think Zusi still has tread on the tires, and Espinoza provides leadership and spine.

17. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is my math right that for the expansion draft, SKC can now protect everyone who is either under contract or in negotiations? In Buzz's list, replace Ilie and Martins with Espinoza and McIntosh.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, crazy.

19. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Martins gone and Zusi questionable pending negotiations, that back 4 could and should change for the better. I like both Zusi and Roger for depth, but SKC really need some fresh talent at both positions. I love Ilie but it’s time for him to go back to Spain. I never thought Harris could play at this level, Dia was another retread experiment that didn’t work out and Puncec won’t be missed either. I like the moves so far.

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am really shocked that Ilie is gone. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Sporting were pushing for a smaller contract and he said he'd walk and make more elsewhere, but other than that I can't imagine how it played out.

Lots of chaff leaving right now, which is scary but maybe optimistic. I do hope Zusi still signs, though I'm less concerned if Roger does.

kcfooty and dgb09 repped this.
  21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, looks like we're losing all our left backs, all our CB depth except one (who was pretty low on the chart this season), and maybe a right back. Gonna have to be huge investment in the offseason in these positions. Also at least one more major midfielder, whether or not Roger signs.

22. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I watched the replay of the RSL game and found Kinda and Walter to be the most effective players on the pitch for SKC. For me, the jury is still out on Mauri, but having a full pre season with the team couldn’t hurt.

dgb09 repped this.
  23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Surprised about Ilie, but it's time. Really enjoyed watching him while he was here.

24. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    We did not have CB depth. It's only depth if you play it. Had two of Fontas/Ilie/Isi been injured Vermes may have gone with 10 rather put Puncec or Smith out there.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than those games where he started Puncec or Rad this season when Ilie was still in the midfield at the beginning of the season and Isi was out.