2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New opening to be added tomorrow (if it goes how it’s been planned), in Texas.

2. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    My guess is UTEP unless someone bigger is taking the Houston Dash job.

3. soccerfanHtown

soccerfanHtown New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 24, 2018
  4. soccerfanHtown

soccerfanHtown New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 24, 2018
    Incarnate to SMU Asst.

ThePonchat repped this.
  5. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    'Stinks of excluding guys' = 'finally trying to rectify decades of inequitable male-dominated hiring practices'

First Time Finish and ytrs repped this.
  6. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    I could careless if my dd is coached by a man or woman. I want her coached by the absolute best candidate for the job. This equity garbage makes me question everything, "is this doctor who is going to preform my surgery here because of equity? Or were they the best candidate?"

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I get what you are saying, but I’m don’t think two wrongs make a right.
    Also, if I am a student-athlete I want the best coach possible to be hired. Administrations are doing a disservice by picking a coach based on their gender not on who is going to provide the athletes with the best experience. But hey, it’s womens soccer so they don’t care. The major revenue sports won’t do this because departments need the best coaches to stay competitive. Not so much in our sport sadly for the athletes.

8. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for your DD to be passed up for the first 10 jobs she is the best candidate for because some dipshit guy's dad played poker a few times with the director of the company she's applying to.

That's why this "equity garbage" is important.

9. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    Look up meritocracy and get back to me.

Footyballs repped this.
  10. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1835 PlaySimple, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    So if you're in pre-op and the surgeon comes in to talk to you and it's a woman, a black person, or some other minority, the question you ask yourself "is this doctor who is going to perform my surgery here because of equity"?

That says more about you as a person than it does about the person doing the surgery or the person that hired the surgeon.

First Time Finish, ytrs, BigBear and 2 others repped this.
  11. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

not really - this is how we are being conditioned to think. scotus nominee/ vice president: "I am going to choose a black woman"

doesn't really resonate as i am going to choose the best person.... and then they choose a black woman. that is the better approach. In the first case - everyone is thinking was she the most qualified? in the second....everyone is thinking....WOW AWESOME, glad we got the best!

same for soccer - if the committee makes it known they are hiring a female.... then everyone is thinking "is this the most qualified person to coach????"

Footyballs and Socr4evaH repped this.
  12. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Comes down to what you think is "best". For a long time, winning was taken to equal best. If we win a lot, we must be running a great program. I dont think ADs are doing anyone a disservice by making a judgment that hiring a specific gender is going to best for the program. If a woman is deemed to be more suited to the task, great. Analyzing hires solely on the basis of prior experience is going to perpetuate the existing status quo.

Fitballer and ytrs repped this.
  13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    maybe ask the athletes at Colorado state or Arizona how they feel about the administration making a hire based solely on gender and not on merit. These coaches were not hired based on being ‘best for the job’ however you want to define that. They were hired specifically on gender and that is all.

sockerdad06 and Socr4evaH repped this.
  14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Any hire can fail. The hires I have seen do have merit to them. I dont agree that they were only hired because they were women. Who decides best for the job? Hard to make that call without knowing what the job actually is.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The job is overseeing and coaching a soccer team. There are many facets to this, and when you have coaches apply for a job like Illinois State that have the same experience as a big ten experience, plus head coaching experience on top of that and don’t even get a call from the AD, the job becomes “you just need to be of this gender.” That is a disservice to womens college soccer and the athletes that participate.

Socr4evaH and sockerdad06 repped this.
  16. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Add the Incarnate Word job to being open. I can confirm from a friend that it’s Available.

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Grambling State (3/14)
    Boston (4/11 - retirement)
    Prairie View A&M (5/17)
    High Point (5/19)
    Western Michigan (5/26)
    Incarnate Word (5/27)

Filled
    Louisiana Tech - Steve Voltz (previous interim)
    Pacific - Danesha Adams and JJ Wozniak (previous interims)
    UK - Troy Fabiano (UW Milwaukee head)
    Georgia - Keidane McAlpine (USC head)
    Villanova - Samar Azem (Campbell head)
    Missouri State - Kirk Nelson (Missouri State associate HC)
    USC Upstate - Sharif Saber (Mount Olive HC)
    Maryland - Meghan Ryan Nemzer (Rutgers associate HC)
    Oral Roberts - Austin Risenhoover (Cal associate HC)
    Baylor - Michelle Lenard (Dallas Baptist HC)
    Austin Peay - Kim McGowan (Miami OH associate HC)
    Troy - Robert Lane (Georgia assistant)
    App State - Aimee Haywood (Queens HC)
    Wisconsin Green Bay - Julie Grutzner (previous assistant/interim HC)
    Tulsa - Jim Rhein (previous interim)
    Loyola Marymount - Chris Chamides (Cal State LA men's HC)
    Colorado College - Keri Sanchez (Illinois Wesleyan HC)
    UCLA - Margueritte Aozasa (Stanford assistant)
    Idaho State - Dustin Downey (former UIC assistant/interim)
    Texas A&M Commerce - Ashley Gordon (FC Dallas director/coach)
    Bellarmine - Paul Babba (UK assistant/interim)
    Saint Francis - Sara Yunez (St. Bonaventure assistant)
    Morehead State - Chris Fox (High Point associate HC)
    USC - Jane Alukonis (UCLA assistant)
    Campbell - Jeff Gross (UNCG associate HC)
    Mount St. Mary - Melissa Sherwood (Northwestern State associate HC)
    Lehigh - Lauren Calabrese (Lehigh associate HC)
    Texas State - Steve Holeman (Lamar HC)
    Fordham - Magnus Nilerud (Bridgeport HC)
    Western Illinois - Josée Primeau (associate HC)
    Houston - Jaime Frias (Virginia assistant)
    Albany - Sade Ayinde (Yale assistant)
    Air Force - Laura Busby (LSU assistant)
    Louisiana Lafayette - Chris McBride (Southeastern Louisiana HC)
    Wisconsin Milwaukee - Kevin Boyd (Washington State associate HC)
    Chicago State - Mario Felix (Southern Utah associate HC)
    East Carolina - Gary Higgins (Lenoir-Rhyne HC)
    Northern Illinois - Michael O'Neill (Saginaw Valley HC)
    Southern Illinois - Craig Roberts (Grambling State HC)
    Southeastern Louisiana - Nathan Gillespie (Southeastern Louisiana assistant)
    UTRGV - Mark Foster (Arkansas Little Rock HC)
    SMU - Nicole Nelson (SMU associate HC/assistant 2012-19)
    San Jose State - Tina Estrada (interim/associate HC)
    Lamar - Nathan Kogut (Texas A&M assistant)
    LIU - Lucy Gillett (LIU assistant)
    Florida State - Brian Pensky (Tennessee HC)
    Tennessee - Joe Kirt (Tennessee associate HC)
    Holy Cross - Ben Graham (Holy Cross men's associate HC)
    Arkansas Little Rock - Kelly Farrell (Nebraska Omaha associate HC)
    Florida - Samantha Bohon (Embry Riddle Florida HC)
    Sam Houston State - Sonia Curvelo (Prairie View A&M HC)
    UNC Charlotte - Brandi Fontaine (High Point HC)
    Illinois State - Marisa Kresge (Wisconsin AC)

Fitballer repped this.
  18. WhiteBeard

WhiteBeard New Member

Spurs
    Mar 11, 2022
    Not sure it’s truly open in terms of a nationwide search, but I could be wrong. Getting to the time of year where we will see promotions from within and interims. I’ve heard similar here, but it’s second or thirdhand knowledge.

19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Aside from the miserable weather at PDA one interesting conversation that has occurred is that Carr at Oklahoma has lawyered up and that has slowed down the investigation process practically to a standstill.

20. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the lawyer going to help him win games? Seems to me that is the biggest problem he is having and not sure how a lawyer will help that.

21. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe the lawyer is a great coach.

I would imagine because he’s being investigated and is concerned about his position so it reinforces the point that there is an ongoing investigation there.

22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The whole equity/diversity thing has spun out of control. I'm for it, generally--but it's gotten pretty crazy and even stupid. I still believe in merit-based opportunities and promotions. I read, for example, that "the NBA is waiting for its first female coach." Really? Who exactly is waiting for that? If it were to occur naturally, it would be one thing--but what we've seen in all fields is this overt pressure for equity hires, even if some/many are not deserved. Has it really been terrible that there have been no female coaches in a male pro league? I don't think so--yet we're led to believe that it was terrible. I could go on and on--there are numerous examples of how ridiculous and unrealistic it's gotten. Mind you, I'm glad that more females are getting coaching jobs in women's soccer. It is a women's sport, there have been a lot of issues with male coaches, and so it's generally a good thing. But every individual hired for any job, in my view, should have strong qualifications for the position--not just be the right gender or ethnic group. Meritocracy remains a good thing.

Socr4evaH repped this.
  23. Red Stars

Red Stars Member

PSG
    Serbia
    May 19, 2022
    Boston U still looking. Boston College associate head coach turned it down (which is shocking) and so did Samford associate head coach. So looks like they are back to square one. Should be able to find a qualified coach for what is one of the best mid major jobs in the country but still hunting.

SpeakeroftheHouse and Jamie JBS repped this.
  24. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021
    Ashley Whittemore from Stephen F Austin is in line to take Incarnate Word. Tony Minatta is a great guy and I am sure she has really helped that program and given the experience to run a program.

How about the Grambling shenanigans??? Return of the Wag but admins cannot ever making a hiring/announcement easy.

25. Centermid5

Centermid5 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 1, 2018
    The investigation ended in January when Joe C. told the team directly without Carr present that Carr was staying bc he loves them and it’s what’s best for the program going forward . Might be a new investigation or another way of saying Carr is under a watchful eye. Although that eye is blind. As for lawyering up, if that came from Carr’s mouth, I would highly doubt it. But if he has, it is prob his “anonymous” attorney donor that just gave $500k to the program and has a daughter that is part of his 2022 recruiting class. Shady af!