2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a coach that will succeed. Looking forward to seeing what she does.

luckystrikz, SpeakeroftheHouse and ytrs repped this.
  2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Feels like some schools are placing emphasis on non "traditional" metrics to evaluate coaching hires. Makes sense given the environment.

3. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I haven't dismissed anything and haven't weighed in on the Oklahoma situation at all. All I have done is ask the question if you were suggesting sexual coercion. You, very purposefully, linked the Oklahoma coach to the ongoing NWSL situations. For my thinking, that is way over the line, especially if that is not what you are alleging. There are plenty of other "abuse" examples you could have used. Do better.

SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  4. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    The problem I have is that you throw a blanket that covers a broad spectrum of things without specifying what you are referring to. No one advocates traumatizing an athlete, but the definition is important. Yelling? Heavy fitness? You also ignore that for every person that struggles with a demanding and maybe slightly over the top coach, there is one that loves it and brings the best out of them. Some of the toughest coaches I had were the best. I do find it interesting that the people leaving Oklahoma mostly seem to be players that don’t play. Crazy coincidence?

5. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I’m actually surprised by this. I was told by the person I know in the department that she didn’t interview well and struggled to answer many questions. I do know they really wanted to get it done as they told the team that they were going to hire someone by Christmas. Hope she does well.

luckystrikz repped this.
  6. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting.
    absolutely nuts!!!

7. luckystrikz

luckystrikz New Member

Orlando Pride
    United States
    Jan 5, 2022
    Such fabulous insight @6peternorth9. I had also heard they wanted to hire someone by Christmas back then. They were so excited with Kia. That didn’t pan out, so super interesting to hear your update. They had to get it done and I suppose they don’t pound the pavement real hard. Let’s see, I’m hoping it goes well and am so appreciative of your take.

8. Time&Space

Time&Space Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Someone has been researching the scores of Space Coast United...

9. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, was very impressed with the results

10. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Just to throw some clarity into this, but correct me if I'm wrong, but only Riley was fired for sexual abuse, the majority of the firings were coaches who were mentally abusive.

Centermid5 repped this.
  11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Completely for another thread but if you search around for news about the Wash Spirit and Chicago Fire coaches that started last season, you'll find them no longer working for those teams. The Spirit are even changing ownership. Their coach was shown on camera smacking a player in the ass. Very many players have determined it's a league-wide issue with the NWSL.

Easy to find this information if you have any knowledge of the NWSL and know how to use google.. Example:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/09/nwsl-scandal-fear-culture-silence-paul-riley

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Does anyone know if Jen Klein was a candidate at USC? It seemed like an obvious hire. But was she not interested? Or they were not interested?

luckystrikz repped this.
  13. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Both UCLA and USC were interested. She had no interest in taking less money and have lower quality of living. Interesting thing about these two schools is that they virtually went after same candidates and got denied by all of them. I hope they both do well but as someone who’s somewhat connected to both schools, I am disappointed neither schools are willing to invest in women’s soccer.

luckystrikz, SpeakeroftheHouse and ytrs repped this.
  14. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    For the right offer she would’ve taken it, but the salary wasn’t even close to what was needed

15. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021
    Wait, the Space Coast United U-10 job is open???? Time to update the resume.

16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It is an ECNL club. Not sure why people want to make fun of it. She coached the Breakers too. Which is another ECNL club.

luckystrikz repped this.
  17. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ytrs you aren’t wrong. They are both ECNL clubs. However, I don’t believe she actually coached any of the ECNL teams.

HeadSpun and luckystrikz repped this.
  18. Fanatic#88

Fanatic#88 Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Maybe because it is U10, etc vs college. Not in the same ballpark whatsoever.
    I don't think it was worth all the details being noted in the release and bio imho. A mention that she worked with youth clubs but that's all.

Not the big name some expected but she has the opportunity of making her name big. Wishing her well.

soccerlover11 repped this.
  19. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    Space Coast has Boys ECNL only. No girls ECNL - I think just ECNL-R (regional league). And the club didn’t have ECNL when she was on staff there.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put it all to rest. Please. Finally. Or, take it somewhere else.

It’s worn out already.

21. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on Northern Illinois? Heard they had phone interviews last week but have not heard candidates or when on campus round was happening.

22. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021
    Tough crowd! Not making fun of her background and I wish her well.

On another note, do we need to begin a new thread to discuss top candidates for the space United U-10 job? Early guesses are Anson, Jen Klein, and Izzy-Brown. Some big names up for that job!

Carolina92, 352formation and Footyballs repped this.
  23. travelingcoach

travelingcoach New Member

United States
    Aug 27, 2019
    From what I have heard Chicago State is going to have their men's coach be Director of Soccer and be over both programs. He hopes to hire an Associate HC who would basically run the women's side and then help with the men.

Can't believe schools that have been open for almost 3 months still have no hires.

Rumor is that LK is taking/has taken the Hardin Simmons job which would vacate the ULL HC spot. Still waiting for an official announcement that was thought to be released late last week. Still waiting

24. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Jeff Gross (UNCG assistant) takes the Campbell job.

ping repped this.
  25. SmallSchoolGaffer

May 24, 2021
    Can confirm I'm hearing LK to Hardin Simmons as well. ULL staff likely to completely turnover as I believe Assoc. HC will be taking a different job, too. Not surprising there weren't many postings of jobs filled last week, as administrators were all off at NCAA convention in Indy the second half of the week.

Interesting move by Chicago State. I know they did some zoom interviews with 3 or 4 coaches about two weeks ago, but public school hiring procedures often make it difficult to know what jobs are truly open. Kind of crazy that they are wasting their own time, and candidates with a job not truly open, but sometimes that's what the "law" requires...Western Illinois may be doing the same thing, but I haven't heard. Still believe Assoc. HC will be hired there.