2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wait to update when everything is public, out of courtesy of coaches who may be leaving teams.

Morehead and Saint Francis are finally filled. Announcements soon.

2. luckystrikz

luckystrikz New Member

Orlando Pride
    United States
    Jan 5, 2022
    #927 luckystrikz, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Would USC be closer to hiring her if she is meeting with the players? This is S Greene correct, or is it Jane?

6 weeks is a long time to have a vacancy in this type of a program. Any other prospects they are having to campus. I could see one of them would be a likely hire if that’s the case, already lives close by and has the residence established.

3. NewbieSoccerMom

Chicago
    United States
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi

You probably saw this but it was announced Golas is moving to Kentucky as Assistant following Fabiano. It definitely puts UW Milwaukee in a tough spot but given their record in Horizon League - I would think it is a highly desirable position for many assistant coaches who want a head coach job.

PlaySimple repped this.
  4. soccerlover11

soccerlover11 New Member

Orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 4, 2022
    I heard a coach from the u20 women's national team was being interviewed at USC. Anyone know who it was or if they're still being considered?

5. SAS_Soccer

SAS_Soccer Member

Everton FC
    United States
    Nov 17, 2021
    All quiet on the ULL front. @Socalsoccercoach you think this is still happening?

6. Centermid5

Centermid5 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 1, 2018
    Perhaps, @352formation is Carr or one of his cronies which would explain the OU and Potter concerns.

352formation and PlaySimple repped this.
  7. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was surprised that Golas didn't move into the HC spot at Milwaukee. He's been around a bit and has some great experience.

You're right - it is a desirable job and should attract some quality candidates. Fabiano left the program in great shape. The program may take a small step back but should be fine, overall.

I expect Fabiano & Golas to do good things at Kentucky and the program should improve. This was one of the better hires by the schools needing a coach. Kentucky has also brought in Michele Dalton as an AC. She's young but is upcoming and has some good experience working with keepers. Golas is also adding a few transfers. One of those is a strong defender that played for him at Milwaukee. I would not look for a big exodus of Milwaukee players, though. As I said, the program is in good shape.

8. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Alukonis from UCLA was on campus but I didn’t hear about others being on campus.

luckystrikz repped this.
  9. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

We have a new winner for most under qualified hire of the year. I also feel bad for Yunez as she is being put into a position she isn’t ready for, and I don’t see how this will be a success unless she is given a decade to learn the trade.

Good to know about Golas leaving. Got to think Milwaukee will attract a mid major coach that has done pretty well or a very experienced power five assistant that has some head coaching experience.

11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Morehead State
    Southern Illinois
    Fordham
    Texas State
    Mount St. Mary
    Air Force (retired)
    Northern Illinois
    Wisconsin Milwaukee
    USC
    Chicago State
    Campbell
    Western Illinois

Filled
    Louisiana Tech - Steve Voltz (previous interim)
    Pacific - Danesha Adams and JJ Wozniak (previous interims)
    UK - Troy Fabiano (UW Milwaukee head)
    Georgia - Keidane McAlpine (USC head)
    Villanova - Samar Azem (Campbell head)
    Missouri State - Kirk Nelson (Missouri State associate HC)
    USC Upstate - Sharif Saber (Mount Olive HC)
    Maryland - Meghan Ryan Nemzer (Rutgers associate HC)
    Oral Roberts - Austin Risenhoover (Cal associate HC)
    Baylor - Michelle Lenard (Dallas Baptist HC)
    Austin Peay - Kim McGowan (Miami OH associate HC)
    Troy - Robert Lane (Georgia assistant)
    App State - Aimee Haywood (Queens HC)
    Wisconsin Green Bay - Julie Grutzner (Asst- previous interim)
    Tulsa - Jim Rhein (previous interim)
    Loyola Marymount - Chris Chamides (Cal State LA men's HC)
    Colorado College - Keri Sanchez (Illinois Wesleyan HC)
    UCLA - Margueritte Aozasa (Stanford assistant)
    Idaho State - Dustin Downey (former UIC assistant/interim)
    Texas A&M Commerce - Ashley Gordon (FC Dallas director/coach)
    Bellarmine - Paul Babba (UK assistant/interim)
    Saint Francis - Sara Yunez (St. Bonaventure assistant)

Fitballer and luckystrikz repped this.
  12. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    What the heck is going on at Fordham? One of the first jobs to open. They had people on campus weeks ago and nothing yet.

13. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I understand the St. Francis hire. I mean typically one year as an asst at St. Bonaventure and one year as an asst at Eastern Kentucky doesn't land you a D1 head job. But the last coach made under $50K and looks like it's in the middle of nowhere in rural PA. Only type of person to take that is someone young with no family and probably little experience, so yeah that all fits the mold.

I do worry for these admins that hire these young females under the age of 30. Limited in soccer coaching experience but more importantly vastly limited in just life experience. A huge part of college coaching is team management and handling dynamics of the team and many rightfully say it's more important than the Xs and Os. If you're not equipped to do that you can be woefully unprepared to deal with team and individual issues as it pertains to a collection of college females. I really hope that these young hires like St. Francis, Arizona, UCLA, etc. truly have some adequate support and mentors and not leave it to chance that they somehow muster up a good team situation without experience and direction to lean on.

dksintheflo, Fitballer and HeadSpun repped this.
  14. justasoccerfan

justasoccerfan New Member

Nov 8, 2021
    I have heard from a few people that LIU Brooklyn will be open. Not sure what happened but they were in the conference final 2 seasons ago. Maybe he took a bigger job

15. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    My guess is it will depend on if he gets a job!

16. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
  17. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you mean LIU? If so he has an overall record of 5-12-3. In the conference final year they played a grand total of 5 games. 4 of which were conference games. Think they basically made it because everyone else had to cancel games due to Covid. Bigger job is probably unlikely. Not an easy place to win.

18. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    So Mount St. Mary's have hired. A friend of mine, he got the 'were going in a different direction' call yesterday.

19. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Can't wait. That place is literally run like a family business. Never know what you're going to get. They gave that job once to a guy who's dad was a big donor then they just had, I believe, someone who was the 2nd youngest coach in D1 at the time.

Small private D1s with resource issues, esp in rural areas, kinda like St. Francis not far away, is really tough sledding in this business. You see alot of young upstarts or sometimes even older recycled folks who are double-dipping and so don't care about the income so much.

The problem of course, is that if the young coach does really well, they aren't staying long.

20. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Saint Francis PA has a beautiful campus though. In hindsight, she would have hated it being so remote but I tried to get my daughter to reach out to them based on the "Become Someone" campus tour video on YouTube. One of the best we watched. Kudos to their marketing department.

21. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The surprise to me is that he wasn't gone from Houston earlier after the rhabdomyolysis incident back in 2018. I know that an internal investigation cleared Bocanegra of wrongdoing but the fact remains that the incident did happen. Minor Bowens, the strength coach, lost his job over it. Bocanegra, as the HC, had some responsibility and he never faced consequences.

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Morehead State
    Southern Illinois
    Fordham
    Texas State
    Mount St. Mary
    Air Force (retired)
    Northern Illinois
    Wisconsin Milwaukee
    USC
    Chicago State
    Campbell
    Western Illinois
    Houston (1/12)
    Albany (1/13)

Filled
    Louisiana Tech - Steve Voltz (previous interim)
    Pacific - Danesha Adams and JJ Wozniak (previous interims)
    UK - Troy Fabiano (UW Milwaukee head)
    Georgia - Keidane McAlpine (USC head)
    Villanova - Samar Azem (Campbell head)
    Missouri State - Kirk Nelson (Missouri State associate HC)
    USC Upstate - Sharif Saber (Mount Olive HC)
    Maryland - Meghan Ryan Nemzer (Rutgers associate HC)
    Oral Roberts - Austin Risenhoover (Cal associate HC)
    Baylor - Michelle Lenard (Dallas Baptist HC)
    Austin Peay - Kim McGowan (Miami OH associate HC)
    Troy - Robert Lane (Georgia assistant)
    App State - Aimee Haywood (Queens HC)
    Wisconsin Green Bay - Julie Grutzner (Asst- previous interim)
    Tulsa - Jim Rhein (previous interim)
    Loyola Marymount - Chris Chamides (Cal State LA men's HC)
    Colorado College - Keri Sanchez (Illinois Wesleyan HC)
    UCLA - Margueritte Aozasa (Stanford assistant)
    Idaho State - Dustin Downey (former UIC assistant/interim)
    Texas A&M Commerce - Ashley Gordon (FC Dallas director/coach)
    Bellarmine - Paul Babba (UK assistant/interim)
    Saint Francis - Sara Yunez (St. Bonaventure assistant)

One small change I'll keep is adding in dates of announcements (and potentially hires). Just to keep the open dialogue and transparency of the positions. IMO, it is very interesting on the timetables of how many of these institutions operate.

I would have to really dig, but external hires aren't quick. A men's vacancy was filled in late 2021 in 22 days (including weekends AND Thanksgiving). That has to be one of the quickest external hires across MSOC and WSOC.[/QUOTE]

Fitballer and NewbieSoccerMom repped this.
  23. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I'm hearing it could be Chris Fox (Former High Point AHC) that has been hired by Morehead State.

ThePonchat repped this.