2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Maryland
    Austin Peay
    Tulsa (interim - Jim Rhein)
    Troy (interim - Nicole Waters)
    Villanova
    USC Upstate
    Missouri State (retired)
    Idaho State
    Oral Roberts
    Morehead State
    Bellarmine
    Loyola Marymount
    Saint Francis
    Wisconsin Green Bay
    Appalachian State
    Southern Illinois
    Baylor
    Fordham
    Texas State
    Mount St. Mary
    Air Force (retired)
    Northern Illinois
    Colorado College
    Wisconsin Milwaukee
    USC
    Chicago State

Filled
    Louisiana Tech - Steve Voltz (previous interim)
    Pacific - Danesha Adams and JJ Wozniak (previous interims)
    UK - Troy Fabiano (UW Milwaukee head)
    Georgia - Keidane McAlpine (USC head)

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Good luck to Keidane. Wished I had made it up to USC for a match.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #328 Cliveworshipper, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    well you don’t have to live in the Presidio or Beverly Hills. La county has an average home price of $790K according to Zillow. Orange County is $943K.

since you mentioned Santa Clara, a coach is going to want to live close to campus, the average home price in that town is $1,541,447. I’m pretty sure San Jose isn’t cheaper and taxes aren’t cheaper than other places.

Cromwell came from ( and moving back to) Orlando, right? The average home there is $328K.
    Mcalpin will be moving from a place where homes cost $800-$950K to Athens, where the average home costs $255K

Soccerguy1022 and Hammers05 repped this.
  4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody from California wants to move to Republican lands. Pretty sure both these Dems are doing it for the money and selling their soul. They leave two great programs, their loss.

5. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Actually a lot of people want to leave CA because of the high cost of living, earthquakes, floods, fires, smog, absurd traffic and suspect public schools. People are also flooding out of the major cities like NYC in droves since COVID. Quality of life is key.

sockerdad06 and Hammers05 repped this.
  6. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    USsoccerguy repped this.
  7. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #332 Enzo the Prince, Dec 2, 2021
    The question isn't 'Is California more expensive than Florida or Georgia.' Obviously it is. But averages are not reflective of reality, as there are megamansions that drive averages way up. The new coaches at these places are going to find comfortable homes and they'll do just fine. And by the same token, Amanda and Kedaine will find that the lower cost of living in the South comes with some tradeoffs, too.

ytrs, HeadSpun and Hammers05 repped this.
  8. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It's more nuanced than that. Rich people left rich neighborhoods like the Upper West Side and Greenwich Village. Working class people in Queens and the Bronx didn't go anywhere. And new people are moving in at a faster rate than before the pandemic.

https://www.curbed.com/2021/11/new-york-moving-pandemic-report.html

sweepsit, HeadSpun and Hammers05 repped this.
  9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yes, the defiantly dumb Trumpian redneck tradeoff, if they dare to venture far from Orlando or Athens.

10. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Whoa. Can we keep politics off of this board? Politicians aren’t worth discussing or worrying about on either side of the aisle.

11. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Says the person who has never lived in Los Angeles. Small houses in below average neighborhoods are going for 1.5 to 2 million. Salaries are more but not that much more. Even if someone made 400K at UCLA with camps and clinics all in, you’d be able to afford a townhouse at best. Rentals are reasonable because there are so many of them, which I suppose would be an option for someone that just wanted to spend 5-10 years there. Don’t get me wrong, I love LA (nod to Randy Newman), but it’s not for the middle class.

Hammers05 repped this.
  12. fanatica

fanatica New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Feb 6, 2020
    That is pretty harsh. One of them is seeking a new challenge.

13. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I agree something went or was going down at UCLA. But with the Dorrance/Ellis examples, that was before the NWSL existed (Anson) or had become established and viable (Ellis). I do think that now, yes, you'd have to have pro experience to get the job. I mean this is where the majority of your players and player pool are playing. It makes sense.

14. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I lived in Malibu for a year. I'd recommend it to anyone, although I got lucky and had a sweet mother-in-law cottage in a friend's backyard for $600/month (in 2004).

I'm not disagreeing with you that LA/Cali is expensive. I don't see your greater point tho. The new coach will get a townhouse, or rent, or buy further away and get comfortable with a long commute. These aren't big deals and certainly won't stop them filling the position.

sweepsit and HeadSpun repped this.
  15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Folks, I think we can assume these high level p5 coaches understand the cost of living and quality of life aspects of their decisions. Market forces and the laws of supply and demand are on display all the time, especially in real estate. Anyone slamming S California as a good place to live is just comical. There are good reasons it's expensive compared to say, rural GA......the same reasons millions more people want to live there!

And grouping USC with UCLA is also a little misleading. Both great jobs with great history and great resources in the Pac12 and will get tons of applicants...
    but one is in perhaps one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the nation and one is 5 times larger and on multiple city blocks in downtown LA.

McSkillz, spykemanne, ytrs and 1 other person repped this.
  16. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Men’s College Coach leaving for the MLS is always going to be a step up financially. Not the case in the NWSL. Most coaches in the league don’t even make 100k. Let’s hope the league will continue to grow but we are not there yet.

17. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://twitter.com/hashtag/Sooners?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Sooners</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Trojans?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Trojans</a></p>&mdash; Robert Hefner V (@RobertHefnerV) <a href="

Looks like USC is going cheap on Lincoln Riley, only paying $500k over market for each of his houses. Hope they do better for women's soccer...

HeadSpun repped this.
  18. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Not sure why he would make that move for that….man will be in the poorhouse soon.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

LOL

here’s the mega mansion you can buy right now in Santa Clara, about a mile and a half from where the College Cup is being played.
    [​IMG]
    This mega mansion has the added bonus of being next to an elementary school and baseball fields ( see light stantions in the background. ) you can hear screaming kids all day and have baseballs come crashing through your patio door at night.

Hammers05 and SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  20. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #345 Enzo the Prince, Dec 2, 2021
    This is getting pretty far off topic. I concede that much of Cali is absurdly expensive, but I said the new UCLA and USC coaches will do just fine and you know as well as I do that's true. Amanda had enough disposable income to invest in an NWSL team and Keidane's twitter is full of pictures of him going to Lakers and Kings games. I don't think they were living in studios in San Jacinto.

Soccerguy1022, HeadSpun and ytrs repped this.
  21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It has been reported that this tweet is not true. They are absolutely not buying his Oklahoma houses per his own realtor.

BigBear repped this.
  22. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough but the point remains. It's laughable the things these schools do to have to attract top football coaches.

ytrs and Fitballer repped this.
  23. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm curious. Do you currently live or have you ever lived in CA or this just what your media sources tell you?

Listing "earthquakes" as one of the reasons someone wants to move out of CA is a sure give- away that you're not familiar with people who actually live there.

24. Nutmeg13

Nutmeg13 New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Waiting patiently for Orlando Pride to release something. UCLA starts winter quarter January 4th and hopefully they will have a coach by then.

25. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, I had the same reaction. Hello from San Francisco!

McSkillz, fanatica and HeadSpun repped this.