2021-22 England Referee Assignments and Discussion [EPL/EFL/Cups+][R's]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 1, 2021.

1. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think simply taking VAR's word for it/expertise by not going to the sideline would be better than what happened here. I have to believe that's what he was doing anyway, but as you said the way he handled it caused a lot more problems.

RefIADad repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was always under the impression that the only time to use a still for VAR was point of contact. I don't think that was in dispute here. The issue was whether there was some sort of unnatural position or deliberate movement to the ball.

But like others have said, VAR execution in England isn't exactly the gold standard.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    What?!? Video review should absolutely not be used to sell every call--the R is supposed to get it right live, and the VAR is there to help catch clear errors. If he thought it was obvious, he would have called it in the first instance--there was only an OFR because he missed it live.

Perhaps the R told the VAR that he thought the player deliberately tried to contact the ball or made an unnatural movement, but missed the ball, so the VAR was just showing that there was in fact of contact? In that case the only thing he would need to see would be the still showing the contact.

(I haven't been able to see a clip and am trying to find something that makese sense. I agree it makes no sense at all to be looking at only a still if the questions is deliberate or unnatural biggering.)

4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where some sort of disclosure/explanation would be very useful to help everyone understand. You're right - if Taylor is only questioning whether the ball did in fact hit the hand/arm, then a still is all that's needed. If not, this has the perception of "going to the monitor to quiet the masses".

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The question for me is whether Taylor will discuss this post-game. This is what happens in the Dutch league. CR's will talk about any controversial VAR call post-game. Don't know if this is the case in the EPL>

6. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    At face value the review seemed short but perhaps taylor said “I saw his arm move forward but I wasn’t sure if it made contact” in which case just showing the clear contact was all that was needed.

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is needed to make the correct call isn't necessarily the same as what is needed to maintain *credibility*. Point of contact is objective. Position of the arm at the point of contact is objective. But the actual decision of whether there was a handball offense is not. It might be very obvious, but it's still subjective. So what's the cost versus benefit of taking an extra couple of seconds to see it at speed?

fischietto and AremRed repped this.
  8. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I understand that the ref should get it right live, and I believe he did. But for such a consequential decision (PKs and RCs are consequential KMIs on their own, two on them in a single play is doubly so), if you're going to go to VAR, I feel like Taylor should have at least stuck around for a minute, minute and a half to maintain credibility and sell it better, especially since everyone can see what he's seeing as he asks for it. Ask for multiple replays/angles, regular then half speed, etc. Make it obvious that you're talking to the VAR room like you are all talking through the decision. That way, when you reach the decision, it sells that you spent a lot of time and got multiple peoples' feedback on such a critical decision to the rest of the match a hell of a lot better than running over, seeing a very short replay clip and before it even ends you're already done. Taking an extra minute to carefully verify a PK+RC seems to be worth it over game flow and the slight knock on his ego that VAR "questioned" one of his calls.

On the MLS Inside VAR YT videos where we can hear the conversation, I have heard referees say "I'm going to the video board so we can sell it", even if the VAR room tells him in his mic on the field that everything is good if there was any sort of subjectivity possible in the call.

9. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I completely disagree with those saying he should have taken longer. VAR is only supposed to be used to change a clear and obvious error, and by looking quickly and making his call, he’s selling that the call is obvious.
    If you have to look at a play from multiple angles, at multiple speeds, how can you convince someone that the error was clear and obvious?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When?

jarbitro repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is essentially the correct answer here. The idea that the amount of time Taylor took is what caused Chelsea’s protests is borderline insanity to me. People are suggesting Chelsea would have accepted the call readily if Taylor hemmed and hawed and deliberated for 90 seconds? That’s an utterly baffling proposition. The protests were due to the consequences of the decision and the magnitude of the game and the time of the match. They were happening no matter what.

The only problem here is that he was shown a still rather than a 3 second loop. This should have taken 5 seconds instead of 3. But that’s inside baseball for those who understand the VAR protocols and how it’s supposed to operate.

The rest of the stuff is all just noise. And given the ultimate decision is 100% correct, it’s not very compelling noise.

12. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. Looking at it from 5 angles and wavering isn't what I want VAR for. I would rather that he just stayed on the pitch and said that his VAR team confirmed it without any question. I personally would be fine with that. I doubt the players would have liked any better though.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don’t completely agree if you’re fine with that. It’s a subjective decision. The referee must take it himself.

Unless people are admitting they are wishcasting about how they personally want VAR to work, a lot of the criticism and ideas here are off-base. Almost everything was done correctly and it was probably one of the most efficient reviews yet in England. Truly the only issue is the still versus loop question and even that sort of comes down to best practices—not something that’s codified.

Mikael_Referee and socal lurker repped this.
  15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to add, the two second loop showing the arm movement is playing as he approaches the monitor. It plays though twice and is completely visible to Taylor. He would have only needed to see it once to know it's a foul.

But I'm glad we've reached the point where the referee is correct and he was too fast when it came to the OFR.

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, this would have been a lot more fun (well, not for Taylor/Kavanaugh) if we didn't have the arm movement forward. That just makes it 100% under the movement towards ball or the "secondary action" consideration we get from FIFA.

But if his arm doesn't move, then it would probably be a lot like a USA/Germany repeat of 2002.

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if that's the case, there's really no problem at all. He should definitely see it in motion, but we're talking *seconds*, not a microanalysis.

18. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I don't know when exactly because there have been dozens of those videos. But I think my main is the Australian referee going through his final Australian league game. Yeah it's right here, he says "I'd better go to the video screen to sell it, the players are expecting it". Even though offside that he is reviewing is 100% objective, VAR tells him in his ear "it's offside" and it's done.

I completely understand the view that going to the VAR screen for an extremely quick check makes it look like "wow he is very confident in his decision, he only had to look for a second" and Chelsea wouldn't agree whether he took 5 seconds or 5 minutes. But you don't think it's worth it at all to sell such a game-altering decision, especially a relatively subjective decision like a handball (having to "subjectively" decide if the arm is in an unnatural position and intentionally moved towards the ball) that results in a RC+PK by at least taking 30 seconds to view a few angles and speeds? I feel like going to VAR that quickly and viewing too short of a clip is basically mocking the game like it's all for show and he didn't take a RC+PK decision review seriously.

My question to you is then, that's how most VAR reviews work, so do you think VAR as a whole is being used incorrectly then? Most of them take multiple angles, speeds, reverse, etc. I would guess that a very small percentage of them are instantaneous reviews like this to be "clear and obvious".

But then again, I am in the crowd who prefers calls to be made correctly and not just have VAR be used in "clear and obvious error" situations but in any potentially game-altering situation where it can get the decision correct on the field.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it didn’t happen in MLS.

Though, it actually did. Once. Ever. Among hundreds of review and thousands of checks in the last four years. But you didn’t actually know that and just cast a broad umbrella about something that—with one exception—is completely and totally untrue.

To use the excuse that there’s been “dozens of those videos” is quite odd. You’d think that would make it easier to cite a single example.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Though if we are micro-analyzing, it runs counter to the best practice of asking “let me know when you’re at the monitor” before playing the relevant loop. But, again, England going to England with VAR. They seem intent on not falling in line on best practices.

21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twice, I think? Both for penalties. But that doesn't change the point, of course.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fischer is the one I remember. What’s the other?

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh three then?

One was Kelly on a penalty call in Montreal, I think? Against Minnesota?
    One was Villarreal in Houston. I think against RSL.

24. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I hope this instructs referees to not go to the monitor because the aggrieved team will complain about it no matter what.

Just let the VAR confirm it and then go on with the penalty kick. You can't satisfy them, stop trying and just ref the game.

25. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I think if Taylor had taken longer at the monitor then it would have given Chelsea time to settle down and accept what they knew was inevitably coming.

Y’all should know better than most — it’s not just about taking correct decisions.