2021-22 England Referee Assignments and Discussion [EPL/EFL/Cups+][R's]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 1, 2021.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts then on the VAR intervention to take away a goal in Man City/Norwich?

Starts around 3:30.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine with it. Seems a clear foul that he just missed. I’d also point out that the fact that Gabriel Jesus stopped playing, expecting the foul call, probably helped tilt this in the direction of needing an intervention.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I agree that was a foul. Just playing devil's advocate.

[​IMG]

Anyway, for me this feels more like "defender carelessly put his foot into the path of Saka" vs "Saka kicked defenders leg". I'm fine with the non-intervention I guess, but to me it's pretty high up on the clear PK scale.

kolabear repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I just don’t see too much similarity or draw the same conclusion.

In the Norwich situation the player is directly behind his opponent, who possesses or is clearer about to possess the ball. It’s a clip from behind, even if unintentional. Always a foul.

In the Arsenal example, both players are pursuing a ball and possession is in doubt. If the defender hasn’t done anything wrong with his upper body, I just don’t see the argument that the lower body contact is a careless trip. I mean, from your .gif above I see it, I suppose. I just don’t think there’s enough there.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red card from VAR for SFP in the Premier League! What is the world coming to?

(Of course it was SFP)

Thegreatwar, rh89 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm split on this one.

Half of me thinks he was off-balance, and wasn't in full control of himself, and he should get some leniency. Half of me thinks he was in ENOUGH control that he should have been able to challenge less recklessly.

There's no doubt about the level of force or the part of the body he connected with. I think red is the right call, but I do have sympathy for him.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. Watch it again. He changes direction, takes three steps, and tries to tackle the ball. Yes he's off balance but he had multiple chances to decide not to challenge for he ball in that manner.

kolabear, frankieboylampard and rh89 repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultimately, I think you’re right. I’m just a few percentage points of certainty behind.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League fans: We love this lenient officiating and not calling these soft pushing fouls.

Also Premier League fans: Why didn't the ref call that push that led to the red card tackle?

10. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Funny, I saw this same exact comment on Reddit.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well copy paste...

12. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    And I believe that along with the push his heel was clipped.

13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchweek 3

Man City - Arsenal
    Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, Richard West. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Darren England. Assistant VAR: Peter Kirkup.

Aston Villa - Brentford
    Referee: Peter Bankes. Assistants: James Mainwaring, Wade Smith. Fourth official: Oliver Langford. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes.

Brighton - Everton
    Referee: Jonathan Moss. Assistants: Marc Perry, Timothy Wood. Fourth official: Tony Harrington. VAR: Simon Hooper. Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart.

Newcastle - Southampton
    Referee: Paul Tierney. Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Ian Hussin. Fourth official: John Brooks. VAR: Mike Dean. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

Norwich - Leicester
    Referee: Robert Jones. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Derek Eaton. Fourth official: Keith Stroud. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton.

West Ham - Crystal Palace
    Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Dan Cook, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: Michael Salisbury. VAR: Graham Scott. Assistant VAR: Simon Long.

Liverpool - Chelsea
    Referee: Anthony Taylor. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Craig Pawson. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

Burnley - Leeds
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Craig Pawson. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

Tottenham - Watford
    Referee: Andre Marriner. Assistants: Simon Long, Eddie Smart. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: Jarred Gillett. Assistant VAR: James Mainwaring.

Wolves - Man Utd
    Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Darren Cann, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Robert Jones. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Neil Davies.

Taylor for the big match, Atkinson for the "big" match, Attwell for the London derby. Dean referees Wolves - Man Utd for the third time in four seasons - it was also in this fixture that he issued his 100th red card to Ashley Young in 2019.

14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "Big" matches:

Leicester - Man City (Community Shield): Tierney
    Tottenham - Man City: Taylor
    Arsenal - Chelsea: Tierney
    Man City - Arsenal: Atkinson
    Liverpool - Chelsea: Taylor

Distribution of these matches in the EPL:

Taylor: 2
    Atkinson: 1
    Tierney: 1

15. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Excellent RC by Martin Atkinson!

RefIADad repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 RefIADad, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    I’m still not sure exactly how much contact Xhaka made with Cancelo, but no problems with that send off for me. Pretty much the textbook definition of a two-footed, out of control lunge.

Off topic, but Arsenal are showing more than a little bit of last season’s Schalke…..

17. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    VAR looked at this and did not disallow a goal.. presumably because that happened off the ball? What looks bad to me is that just a few minutes later an Arsenal defender gets booked for something similar.

Ignore what the tweet says, obviously disgruntled fans.

1431587799426293768 is not a valid tweet id

I am obviously a bit biased but this looks like a foul to me. Thoughts?

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Chelsea's Reece-James sent off for the Luis Suarez defense on the goal line!:p

19. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I thought it wouldn’t be given since it came up off his thigh… but he did seem to sweep at it with his naturally positioned arm

20. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I agree with Howard that given the stakes that was a very short review

21. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The arm forward makes it bad, however I'm not convinced the ball wasn't already clear by the time the arm went forward.

The red is my question. The ball was thigh to arm and then the CR looked at a still photo only for 1 second to award a red. Or was going to the monitor just for show and the CR was giving the red based on what VAR already told him?

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight from the Law, first bullet on handball:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

The example is exactly what happened. This was an easy red card. Only strange thing was Taylor being shown only the still, but English processes around VAR aren’t the best, as we’ve noted in the past.

Thegreatwar, RedStar91 and Ombak repped this.
  23. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    They removed those considerations for this year's laws. The only handball consideration now is "making the body unnaturally bigger" (along with of course the "deliberately moving the ball towards the arm" consideration).

chwmy repped this.
  24. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This would be a great training video on how NOT to handle VAR. It resulted in the shenanigans just before the PK, the keeper drilling someone with the ball right after the goal and being touched by several players on his way to the locker room for half time.

Just looking at the image, can you come to the conclusion that this is making yourself bigger? He didn't see the awkward arm movement. Not a great way to sell the PK.

25. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    If I had the benefit of VAR, I would use it to sell basically every call. I mean maybe Anthony only looked for a split second to try to "sell" like it was completely obvious. that he didn't even have to look. But go to the monitor, look at multiple replays, stand there for a minute and at least make it look like you're carefully analyzing it and discussing it with the VAR booth so everyone is in agreement. When I watch the Inside VAR videos MLS puts up each week, that's what they do.