2021-22 England Referee Assignments and Discussion [EPL/EFL/Cups+][R's]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 1, 2021.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on both counts with @Mikael_Referee , especially the Burnley one. No way that goal should be disallowed for what occurred. Not calling that is not a clear and obvious error.

The Brentford one is a little tougher, but the amount of grappling that Leno engages in himself probably also tilts it in the direction of "not clearly wrong." There's probably a scenario where Leno grabs less, complains more and gets the call.

2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005

In the clip of the incident, you can see that Jansson walks and stands right in front of Leno just before the ball is thrown in. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but then he traps Leno with his arm and prevents him from moving toward to ball. So it was clearly a rehearsed tactic and a clear foul.
    On Sky news, Dermot Gallagher of course supported the decision and said this was OK and Leno should have been stronger! Otherwise people would just complain that goalkeepers get too much protection.

Expect more such situations in games to come. They have opened Pandora's box here!

PH

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the third big one was the WHU/Newcastle PK non-intervention. We've clearly shifted towards less intervention compared to last season, but it's too early to see how close we are to 2019 again.

The replay at 40 seconds is pretty convincing IMO, especially if you use youtube to slow it down.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The left knee on the right foot is probably what gets you "check complete," right? Because otherwise... yeah, I don't see how that isn't overturned.

Even still, given what we saw in the Dale Johnson thread, I'm not sure how this wasn't in the "soft, don't give/let stand" category.

I guess watching this and seeing it awarded and upheld just confuses me more.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. We never saw many good replays of this one. In fact I've only seen the two shown here. Maybe the VAR had something else to get to check complete. Maybe it's 2019. I guess we will find out in the coming weeks.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchweek 2

Liverpool - Burnley
    Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Darren Cann, Mark Scholes. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Dan Cook.

Aston Villa - Newcastle
    Referee: David Coote. Assistants: Peter Kirkup, Nick Hopton. Fourth official: Matthew Donohue. VAR: Jarred Gillett. Assistant VAR: Ian Hussin.

Crystal Palace - Brentford
    Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, James Mainwaring. Fourth official: Robert Jones. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Simon Bennett.

Leeds - Everton
    Referee: Darren England. Assistants: Eddie Smart, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Andre Marriner. VAR: Kevin Friend. Assistant VAR: Adrian Holmes.

Man City - Norwich
    Referee: Graham Scott. Assistants: Harry Lennard, Simon Long. Fourth official: Peter Bankes. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

Brighton - Watford
    Referee: Anthony Taylor. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: John Brooks. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis.

Southampton - Man Utd
    Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Richard West. Fourth official: Jarred Gillett. VAR: Andre Marriner. Assistant VAR: Lee Betts.

Wolves - Tottenham
    Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Dan Cook, Marc Perry. Fourth official: Peter Bankes. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: James Mainwaring

Arsenal - Chelsea
    Referee: Paul Tierney. Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Neil Davies. Fourth official: David Coote. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

West Ham - Leicester
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: Darren England. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

Tierney's hot start to the season continues with the big London derby. Oliver with a match between two of last season's top six. Attwell in charge as Nuno visits his old club.

7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "Big" matches:

Leicester - Man City (Community Shield): Tierney
    Tottenham - Man City: Taylor
    Arsenal - Chelsea: Tierney

Distribution of these matches in the EPL:

Taylor: 1
    Tierney: 1

8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also interesting to see Taylor on a match that, even though it's Matchday 2, would objectively be considered a relegation six-pointer. Both teams are generally considered to be relegation candidates.

9. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    But both won their opening match! :p

10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    They are currently 7th and 8th in the league table! It's almost a "big" match.:)

PH

AremRed and balu repped this.
  11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So either everyone was on the field today or there wasn't much of a note in the premier League this morning.

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    no, actually, There was a very good OFR in the Leeds v Everton where the right call (according to us Evertonians) was made for the opening goal. A goal side shirt pull unseen, and an OS check.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing really happened in the Liverpool or Brighton matches, from what I saw (other than Salah having a goal ruled out for offside via VAR). I heard there was a late VAR offside review to overturn a penalty against Aston Villa, which might have been interesting, but haven't seen it yet.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Now Brighton are in 2nd place!
    They are now up there with the "big" boys, so PGMOL was right to appoint their top referee to their match.

PH

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun start for Attwell. PK to Spurs and then a big shout to Wolves.

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    WOL:TOT
    That early PK is very questionable IMO.
    The keeper is not going to contact the player. Player drags leg and moves towards the keeper.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dele certainly dragged his leg, but I think the GK put his leg too much into the path of Dele to make it not a PK. This wasn't one where he dragged his foot to catch the foot. When he dragged the foot he caught the GK in the upper quad.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I need to review it, but I think Dele moved towards the keeper and that contact would never be made without that movement.

Regardless, it isn’t clear error. I just think the CR was duped.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a fantastic YC by Attwell in the 44' of Spurs/Wolves. Easy to be fooled by thinking he got the ball.

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    That was crap. 3 min was light given the head injury. Then the sub starts before the 90’ mark. Kane wastes time and rightfully gets a card. If you call for the throw, waste time and then give it to someone else to throw, it is an easy card. But the throw doesn’t come until 90:57 - so over a minute wasted. Game is called at 93:33. Kane accomplished what he wanted.

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was there another head injury in the 2nd half?

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://streamable.com/v32cc1

Seems like a careless trip to me and more than coming together. I guess it's another example of a high standard.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I actually think the no-call is 100% right. If the upper body contact is deemed fair (and I haven’t heard many arguments that it wasn’t), hasn’t Saka essentially just kicked the back of the defender’s leg as he goes down? It’s not a situation where the defender is placing his leg in between the attacker’s foot and a shooting situation. They are running together and, at the lower body level, it looks like the defender has better position.