Review: 2021-22 End of Season survey

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, May 23, 2022.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We haven't done one of these since the 2018-19 campaign.
    No Messi
    No trophies
    No joy (?)

Some questions are a bit different from past surveys.
    Answer what you feel comfortable with.

Did the team overachieve or underachieve?

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall?

Best game / high point of the season:

Worst game / low point of the season:

Player of the Season

Most Improved Player from last season

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths)

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths)

Most Underrated Player

Most Disappointing Player

Manager's performance (Koeman, Xavi or both)

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions).

Favorite goal of the season

This player needs to go!

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made.

General feelings

Hopes for next season

celito and BocaFan repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Did the team overachieve or underachieve? Neither really. Second place is probably better than I expected. But 13 points behind an average Madrid side, plus early CL exit and poor EL run cancels-out the #2 league finish.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall? 6.

Best game / high point of the season: 0-4

Worst game / low point of the season: So many to choose from but I'd probably go with the 0-0 draw v Benfica when a home win was all we needed to recoup from the poor start we had to the group stage.

Closely followed by the "home" loss to Frankfurt which had more Frankfurt fans than Barca fans in the Nou Camp. It showed how spoiled Barca fans have become.

Player of the Season: Pedri

Most Improved Player from last season: Pedri

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Aubameyang

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Traore / Aguero

Most Underrated Player: Not sure you can be underrated at a club like Barca, but will go for Araujo.

Most Disappointing Player: Fati

Manager's performance (Koeman, Xavi or both):
    Koeman: 5
    Xavi: 7

In the end, Xavi's results weren't better once the team encountered the same number of injuries that Koeman had early in the season. But I'll score him higher for the manner in which we played when we were mostly healthy during that Dec to March stretch.

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions). Pass

Favorite goal of the season: The two that popped into my head were both Pedri goals. The one against Galatasaray I'd rank #2 just for the unusual level of composure he showed there for a teenager. But the one against Sevilla... wow!

This player needs to go! Dembele (but obviously many others)

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made: In most transfer windows lately I've just been hoping for the window to close before we do something dumb. So I guess I'm hoping we don't go after that one big signing at all and instead shore up the defense with 2-3 decent but relatively minor additions.

General feelings: I'm not gonna take the results in the league over the past month too seriously. But still disappointed over that Frankfurt loss!

Hopes for next season: A bit more optimism than 12 months ago. But next season is looking too far ahead given what might happen in the next two months.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Did the team overachieve or underachieve? About what I expected. Without all the injuries we could have certainly done better.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall? In terms of final result ... around a 6.

Best game / high point of the season: 4 x 0 at the Bernabeu

Worst game / low point of the season: Not qualifying out of the group stage CL even if we were going to be spanked in the KO round ... along with the loss at home to Frankfurt with the visiting fan fiasco.

Player of the Season: Best performing when healthy was Pedri. But he played so little due to injuries. So I'd have to say Araujo.

Most Improved Player from last season: Pedri

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Auba. His contribution saved our season. Even if it faded towards end of season.

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Eric. (won't count Aguero just because it was a heart issue). Followed by Traore.

Most Underrated Player: FdJ. Based on how he has been treated by the media. Thought he was one of the bright spots in the Koeman half of the season when everyone was injured. He faded later in the season, but not as bad as people have been making him out to be.

Most Disappointing Player: Ferran (weird because I have him in my 11) for the price tag and expectations. But expected more from him. But overall ... I'd say Dest. He has been a bust so far.

Manager's performance (Koeman, Xavi or both):
    Koeman - 4.5
    Xavi - 7

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions). MAtS; Alves, Araujo, Pique, Alba; Busquets, Pedri, Gavi / FdJi; Fati, Auba, Ferran.

Favorite goal of the season: Pedri's goal vs Sevilla.

This player needs to go!: So many ... based on lack of gratitude ... Dembele. But add Lenglet and Braithwaite to that.

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made.: Raphinha / Antony for the RW. Then Lewandowski up front.

General feelings: Fuk Bartomeu for screwing the team financially. With that out of the way, the team is just really bland. We need some game changers. It's gonna take time to rebuild. Have to accept that.

Hopes for next season: Healthy players specially Fati and Pedri. A season start that doesn't put us behind the ball in La Liga and hopefully a challenge for the title. Madrid will be favorites again so it depends if it's a high point season for them. I don't think we will be able to run a 90 point season.

evil_allan, BocaFan and unclesox repped this.
  4. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania

Barca must at least win Copa. So underachieve

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall?

6. Because at least Barca has a path

Best game / high point of the season:

After 0-4 the 4-2 against A Madrid

Worst game / low point of the season:

Eliminated form the CL followed by Frankfurt being 3-0 up

Player of the Season

Araujo

MATS. He was poor for his standards last year

Auba

Eric Garcia

Most Underrated Player

Busi? I feel he is back to his usual greatness and if you look at Busi you see the whole game

Ferran. Because he has the talent to put himself in good positions

Xavi - 8

Koeman - He was put into a horrible position and the players disappointed him badly.

MAtS; Alves, Araujo, Pique, Alba; Busquets, Pedri, Gavi, FdJ; Fati, Auba, Ferran.

Gavi vs Elche

@24s

Depay vs Alaves

@34s

This player needs to go!

Lenglet is past it

Lewa wil happen so a CB partner for Araujo

General feelings

Barca has this year to fix their finances. After that I expect better recruitment

Hopes for next season

La Liga always

evil_allan repped this.
  5. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

Bit of both. the goal at the start of the season was to finish top-4, and they eventually achieved their goal. Certainly could have been a lot worse, they eventually punched above their weight given a subpar starting squad, but much of the damage in the first half of the season was self-inflicted.

High point of the season:

high point of the season was around february/march when xavi and the new signings changed the direction the club was heading, scoring 4 goals against both madrid teams.

Low point of the season:

Low point of the season was just before the season started, when we lost Leo Messi.
    Doesn't get much worse than watching your hero leaving in tears.

Player of the Season

Araujo

Dembele - February/March 2022 was the best we have seen of him in his five years at the club by some distance, topping the assists chart in LaLiga despite only playing a handful of games.

Xavi - together with Auba, Torres, Adama, and Alves - completely changed the atmosphere at the club.

Yusuf Demir - started off strong with exciting performances in the pre-season earning himself an early promotion to the first team with the #11 shirt, but faded quickly afterwards and eventually disappeared completely to the point where i had to google him just to make sure that was this season and not last.

Most Underrated Player

Eric Garcia - already written off by many but performed much better than he's given credit for. still very young with lots of room to grow.

(not counting health/injury related disappointments)

Umtiti begged to be given another chance to prove himself and failed pretty miserably

Koeman never had a chance as he was never given the full backing of the club. that's an F for the club, for failing to back your man (and if he wasn't 'your man' you should have replaced him in the summer).

Top marks so far for Xavi for everything he's done since joining

----Fati-----Auba-----Ferran----
    ---------Pedri----Gavi------------
    --------Frenkie--Busi-------------
    ---Alba-----Pique----Araujo-----
    -----------TerStegen---------------

Pedri vs Galatasaray

This player needs to go!

Umtiti - i love you, but you have to go.

Gavi's contract extension should be the top priority at this point

General feelings

Finally this season is over!!!!!FUUUUUK!!!!but at the same time, very excited about our young coach and young players...

Hopes for next season

Expecting more rebuilding and more growing pains next season.
    Hoping we can be competitive in LaLiga and that our young coach and young players continue to grow and improve.

celito and unclesox repped this.