2021-2022 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to remember a good example of the France-Spain coming up in a high profile match. The Jon Moss call for a Harry Kane penalty against Liverpool (where Lovren takes a swing at the ball and barely touches it) from 2019 fits the bill perfectly. All the same points and questions came up then.

kolabear repped this.
  3. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think this is a perfect example of why CR's need to have the ability to communicate via the stadium audio system, so that they can explain calls to both the fans in the stadium as well as TV viewers. This is routinely done in the NFL, so the technology exists.

I can't think of any other major sports where everyone is left in the dark about controversial decisions as much as in soccer.

akindc and kolabear repped this.
  4. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I am really trying hard not to overreact here, or go on yet another "rant", but have we learned nothing from the Euros?

In the European Qualifiers over the past several days we have had at least half a dozen VAR interruptions that have taken in excess of two minutes, on a couple of occasions as much as four minutes.

Now, I am all in favour of getting as many decisions correct as possible, but what part of "clear and obvious" are we not getting here? Regardless of what the decision is - penalty-kick/no penalty-kick, goal/no goal etc - if you are having to look at multiple replays, from multiple angles, at multiple speeds, it is not a clear and obvious error, so surely the decision on the field must stand?

After a Euros tournament where most people tend to agree VAR was used to great effect, we seem to have slipped backwards in these qualifiers, though clearly partly due to the quantity of games that are being covered.

I hate to suggest it, but if we can't manage this simple concept, maybe we need to think about putting a time limit on a review. Taking 2-4 minutes to agree that there was no "clear and obvious error" is clearly and obviously not what the game needs right now!

SccrDon, mfw13 and Barciur repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching European qualifying is a clear reminder of how good MLS did at implementing VAR. It’s not perfect and there are the strange cases that are still outliers. And a couple VARs are clearly not as good as the rest. But by and large it’s smooth and professional, even if it doesn’t always get the right decision in my mind (or PRO’s!).

UEFA just looks like a bunch of guys with different standards and philosophies for how VAR gets used. It’s the Wild West.

IASocFan, Thegreatwar and allan_park repped this.
  6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The number of matches in Euro qualifiers is much higher than the available pool of good VAR. I'm not sure the MLS comparison is a good one in this respect as it's a single league and it's easier to set a standard. Perhaps that comparison is better applied to the Euros where the number of matches is far fewer than WC qualifying.

UEFA are caught between a rock and a hard place. They want to have a diverse pool of officials from various countries and in doing so it will be hard to enforce a common approach. If you look at league soccer you certainly see different ways of doing things. Most of us watch only a small number of Euro league matches and likely have no clue about how officiating or VAR is handled in the smaller countries, yet officials from those countries are picked and some of them are excellent.

7. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    For clarity, and in the interest of full (OK, not quite full) disclosure, I will say that I am perhaps more familiar with this than most, from a UEFA standpoint, so I do get all the issues that we have discussed in this forum before, and again now, and the last two contributors have made good points, as they usually do.

But, I do think that we (in UEFA) really need to just get back to basics. I might send the guys at Nyon a bunch of posters to hang up in every VAR room/van/centre simply repeating the "Clear and Obvious Error" mantra.

As has been said (quite correctly), MLS does VAR very well, possibly as good as anyone, but they do so because that message was always hammered home.

In UEFA, right now, we seem to have a bunch of guys who think the purpose is to get every decision perfectly correct. And that is never going to work.

SouthRef, Thegreatwar, mfw13 and 2 others repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes on the first part, no on the second.

Of course it's easier to get uniformity in a single competition where the officials are directly employed and working week-in and week-out. No debate there. But just because it's easier doesn't mean that poor applications of VAR and widespread discrepancies in standards should be excepted or accepted in the more difficult setting. After all, the VARs in WCQ are supposed to be the best of the best in a bunch of nations that, in theory, have implemented VAR successfully.

I still don't think you can compare MLS to a tournament, though. Or make the comparison to diminish what MLS has accomplished. A tournament environment like EURO has an intensity of instruction and a hyper-small group of referees. Also very few matches in the grand scheme of things. Oh, and the best on-field referees, too (let's not underestimate the fact that it takes two--VAR and CR--to tango, so to speak, on some of the bad decisions and procedures). FIFA and UEFA have done everything to set up VAR to succeed exactly the way they want it at their showcase events.

The international competitions just below that level show that the depth of skill needed is at the level of a puddle. It's a natural consequence, as I said somewhere else, of implementing this as a top-down approach. Look at MLS (and the Netherlands, too, I believe) where this all started as an experiment in the second division in 2016, with first division referees, and methodically grew from there with a dedicated VAR instruction program. It was built from bottom-up unlike in, say, England. So it's not just tournament versus league or international versus domestic. It's the manner in which you incorporate VAR into your referee instruction and how seriously you take it as an integral part of refereeing.

Oh, and if all this doesn't demonstrate why VAR would be a disaster in the CONCACAF Octagonal, I don't know what does!

Thegreatwar, RedStar91 and Orange14 repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmm . . . do we get to say that CONCACAF is making better use of VAR than UEFA by not using it?. . . .

Thegreatwar and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, great from him. Without someone like him saying it so unequivocally, change is impossible.

At the same time, how can you be in his position and not see this eventuality prior to a high-profile incident? He’s been both applying and teaching this, using video clips just like the play in question, for a decade. It’s not like this was some quirky unforeseeable play. Taylor got this right precisely because he was so well-briefed on his sort of thing. If you believe this component of the law violates the spirit of the law itself (and it does) while you sit on the body Rosetti sits on, why not speak up earlier?

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be a difficult needle to thread. It almost seems like most of the outrage is because he barely touched the ball. Had the ball hit his foot squarely, bounced two feet in the air and then went to Mbabbe, I don't think were talking about it.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about that. Note Rosetti talks about “gaining advantage” which currently doesn’t apply to “interfering with an opponent.”

I think his point about the spirit of the law is that if you are offside and a defender plays the ball solely to prevent it from going to you, you should not be able to gain advantage from that. It would be a big change. And add a new type of subjectivity. But would be in line with the original purpose of Law 11.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The defenders are always in a tough position. Had the defender simply done nothing, Mbappe would be flagged for offsides which was a super easy call given the French attacker's position. Of course that's not what they are taught to do.

I agree with @code1390 that this is a difficult one to thread. Either it is a touch or it's not. Are we now going to come up with a new definition of what a touch is?

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmm. For years, USSF taught that a play required the defender to "possess and control" the ball. Under that standard, a kick/header had to go in a direction intended in order to "reset" OS. Seems that IFAB explicitly rejected that standard in establishing the considered action plus contact = play.

(I don't think Rossetti was using "advantage" in the technical sense of Law 11, but in the common sense meaning that he was able to score b/c he was in an OS position.")

GlennAA11 repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious to add to the discussion - would you consider a "shank" as a deliberate play? I remember a game where my son was playing and the other team's defender shanked a ball with no one near him. My son ran onto the ball from an offside position and scored the winning goal in the last minute. Needless to say, the other team's coaches and parents were going nuts, so I had a discussion with the coach after the game (I was not refereeing the game - just a parent trying to help a coach understand the law better) to explain why the no offside call was right.

I can live with a play like the Garcia play still being ruled as offside, but I'd have a harder time with a shanked kick not caused by an attacker anywhere near the play being ruled as an offside.

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Under it's "possess and control" standard, USSF explicitly excluded miskicks and misdirected kicks, so if the shank was the first touch, it would not re-set OS under that standard, but if there was a trap and then a shank there would be a re-set based on the trap, not the shanked kick.

18. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    A shanked kick absolutely IS a deliberate play that resets offside.

a deliberate play need not be a beautiful play.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, and it's not an infrequent occurrence even at the highest professional level

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I've said this is a difficult needle to thread. Because it won't take much of a language change to go the other direction and make a bunch of scenarios go from onside to offside that "the spirit" of the laws don't want.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It clearly and absolutely is under the current standard; it explicitly was not under the old "possess and control" standard.

Whether it should be is a matter of opinion. (And finding a clear line between the current line and the "possess and control" standard may be challenging.)

22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I immediatley think of KOR:GER in 2018 where the defender toe pokes the ball. Everyone in football expects that goal to be allowed even though the defender clearly did not possess or control the ball. I'm just worried were going to throw away hundreds of goals that are currently given in order to stop one or two of the Mbappe goals.

Orange14 repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Personally, I'd rather have "posses and control" than what we have now.

At the same time, I like what we have now far better than what we had way back when I started reffing and we used the "seeks to gain an advantage" that meant if the ball was sent in the general direction of an OSP player we had an offense unless that player was clearly indicating he would not pursue the ball.

I don't have any clear ideas on how to draw a line somewhere between what we have now and "possess and control."

Thegreatwar repped this.
  24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thegreatwar repped this.
  25. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Liverpool/Athletico, Griezmann with a RC for a high kick going straight in with his spikes to the side of Firmino's head, and the color commentator thinks it shouldn't be a red because it wasn't on purpose.
    Sigh.

IASocFan repped this.