2021-2022 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    So it's not just me then :D.

Thanks for your post - personally, I'd expect UEFA to rate this as an 8/10 on their RAP scale, where both YC and RC are acceptable calls / supported by the VMOs.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I heard people complaining about a penalty given - possible handball other way or a stomp beforehand? Anybody have relevant video or heard anything from this same game about this?

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where I fell. Feels like the force is low enough for it to be an 8 (probaby 8+). In a FIFA event though...

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the PK against Milan. The ball might have been propelled by the attackers hand a few frames before it made contact with the defender. But it's really tough to pick out.

Thegreatwar and Barciur repped this.
  5. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Bit late to this, apologies.

Yes, for me this is a categorically excellent decision. The Kairat player makes a very dangerous studs contact (and at that moment his leg is still loaded and not pulled away), you can see from the screenshot below.

I would genuinely go so far as to say this is one of the best SFP calls I've seen in a rather long time indeed; respect.

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 15.56.34.jpg

---

I watched most of Visser's debut yesterday evening, and while I guess everyone saw the two penalty area incidents in quick succession, on the whole, the Belgian ref gave a positive impression.

Sure, some of his weaknesses were visible (a clear freekick whistled after some hesitation leading to a YC for mobbing), but his decisions were very proficient as usual.

Besides the aforementioned penalty sequence, the game was not really very challenging. Visser merited a second CL GS appearance, the first one was successful.

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, to juxtapose this incident against the contemporary discussion around De Bruyne... why on earth is his leg that high to begin with? Remember that he was tackling at a ball that was literally on the turf when he begin his challenge.

So with De Bruyne, you have more "brutal" contact but resulting from what is more or less a normal or expected challenge in that scenario (though still reckless by our definitions). With the Kairat/Visser clip above, you have less brutal contact, but completely unnecessary and a result only of a tackle whose nature should almost never be attempted in the game. I know which one I prefer to punish more severely. It's similar, too, to the comparisons with the tackles from behind trap or crush trailing legs.

I think the whole reaction around the De Bruyne foul is indicative of this world that has been created where only the result matters and the result of studs flush against anything above the foot is seen as the worst possible outcome. I don't know how we got here, exactly, but we took a wrong turn along the way.

Mikael_Referee repped this.
  7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can carry that onto the "ankle pinning" tackle from behind that we've been talking about lately. There's no studs contact on the shin and the player kept their foot down so how can it be a red?

kolabear and Thegreatwar repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for articulating my own thoughts a lot better than I could have. Even watching the play several times and in slow motion, I kept thinking to myself that it was two players both coming in for the ball. Yes, KDB gets him high on the shin. But both guys were coming in with speed. This could have been a collision of the soles of shoes just as much as the situation that actually happened.

I thought a caution was the right call at live speed, and I still think so despite the location of the contact. I realize others will disagree.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a VAR OFR at 32' of Salzburg v Lille that I am absolutely shocked by.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty stands. Good. Can't believe the VAR put him in that position.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also a tackle at 38' in Wolfsburg that I think is worth looking at if we ever get a clip. I think it's a borderline red card, resulting in a serious injury. No foul was called.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty decision that prompted the OFR.

https://streamja.com/GAjZb

kolabear repped this.
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Thegreatwar and Orange14 repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wow, this one is too bizarre.

kolabear repped this.
  16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I know. His studs touched an opponent, so that has to be a straight red!

But still, VAR removes controversy from the Game…

kolabear repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #292 kolabear, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    German referee commentators Collinas Erben (no connection with Collina) seems to agree it was a botched call after VAR review. Quoted by Derek Rae. It's unbelievable to me that this is where the game is, that a player can't make the most normal and minimal of follow-throughs on a clearance.

Referee: Georgi Kabakov (Bulgaria)
    VAR: Kevin Blom (Netherlands)

translation:

translation:

translation:

18. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the OFR for the foul in the APP? Or for the penalty itself?

MassachusettsRef and kolabear repped this.
  19. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    You beat me to it - that was the case. VAR wanted the Referee to look at the potential "off the ball foul" by the attacker in the build-up, which I think was a legitimate question.

refinDC and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  20. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Yes, it is. But, only until you see who the VAR is. Then, suddenly, it makes sense. :(

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t they look at both, though? I thought I saw him looking at the penalty itself while at the monitor.

Either way, did they show any good angle to support the APP foul?

refinDC and kolabear repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL! I know the VAR quite well from his Dutch CR work. I don't rate him very highly as a CR. He is perhaps the weakest of all those who get UEFA matches.

kolabear and allan_park repped this.
  23. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I was hoping you hadn't noticed that! :)

I think, having gone to the monitor to look at the potential earlier foul, they decided to check the actual penalty award as well. And, as we all know, once you start looking at ANY incident, you can start to have doubts about everything!

refinDC and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    As regular readers of this forum will know, you wont get an argument from me on this one!

I really don't like criticising my fellow officials, and generally I don't think I do, but for this particular individual, I am afraid I have made an exception a number of times!

MassachusettsRef and Orange14 repped this.
  25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    IIRC some years ago Blom got sent down the the Eerste Division for totally screwing up in an Eredivisie match. I think he was down there for two matches before being moved back up.