2020 Tokyo Olympics - general discussion

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by shlj, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    USA and Australia would do it in women`s football.:sneaky:

blissett repped this.
  2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's only an option because they completed the programme and were both eliminated and had exactly the same success rate. What you proposed isn't possible. I guess in a sense it would be if all jumpers agreed to miss their jumps and get eliminated with the same record, but I suspect the temptation to renege would be too great on whoever was jumping last.

JanBalk, blissett and West Ender repped this.
  3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They could go to the officials after they have cleared the first height and could say that they pass all heights until they have reached a world record height. Then likely all will miss and if someone jumps over the height they would still have a silver medal.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am aware it's me who introduced the high-jump topic (and by the way, I don't know the way @almango does the exact rule allowing for a double gold medal, but today I am perfectly fine with it :p), but I am sorry to derail this thread back to women's football.

The schedule of today (incredibly!) allows people to entirely watch both of the semifinals (unless the first one goes to extra-time!), but, despite this doozy being available, I am not so sure that I want to watch USA-Canada. The result seems too much scripted to me and frankly, despite the fact that I of course wouldn't like to see USA win, my opinion is that neither of these two teams showed an enough compelling style of play during these Olympics to make me want to watch them.

What do you say, guys? Apart from US and Canada supporters, the rest of the neutral crowd is in any way excited by the propsect of watching this game? Any sense of anticipation? :unsure:

JanBalk repped this.
  5. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thanks for re-railing the thread. High jump was only briefly cool in 1987 and 2003 to 2005-ish.

If there is a tiny chance of an historic upset, would you want to miss their sad and angry faces? I mean granted the best bits would be the tantrums on social media afterwards, but maybe seeing the mood turn live would be worth it if Canada score a couple of goals and frustration builds? If it looks like the US are winning you can stop watching minute 80 or so and go about your day knowing you didn’t miss anything.

blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, it had a short moment of coolness again yesterday when an Italian won it. :D I agree that for all of the rest of the time it remains un-cool.

Your comment is very wise, although I've got the feeling that the chance at the upset is so tiny that it could be not worth the effort anyway.

Let's put it this way: this (European) morning, I don't have much else to do, so it could be worth trying your strategy. Turning the game on, watching the trend, and if USA are 2-0 at HT (or if it's a 0-0 affair in the same style USA and Canada showcased to us in this tournament, vs Australia and vs Brazil), I turn it off and wait for the "real" semifinal.

hagabo_i_exil repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm obviously not a neutral fan, but if we get a game similar to the 2012 semifinal, it'd be worth watching for anyone. I'm not saying that's what we'll get, and neither team has shown their best form in this tournament, but I also think this game isn't a foregone conclusion. The 1-0 win for the US over Canada back in March was tight.

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They started: go Canada! :ninja::p:p:p

Lohmann and Kakeru repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Quinn squandered two Canadian potential offensive actions in a few seconds! :x3:

10. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Naeher went down pretty hard on that knee. A change was expected mere seconds ago, but they chose to keep her on the pitch for now.

edit: Nah, she's done. She demanded the substitution herself.

blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anyway there will be a lot of extra-time at the end f 1st Half.

This is not good: I'd like this game to finish in time to watch the start of the 2nd semifinal! :x3:

12. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The other match will only start at 12:00PM British summer time, which is 3 hours after this match's kickoff time.:p

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are you considering potential extra-time and penalty shootout?

14. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So you expect extra time and penalty shoot-out?

Edit: You answered my question already:)

blissett repped this.
  15. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Absolutely. By this time this match is over even if it goes the distance, there will be a break between both matches for TV viewers.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, Canada are as good at getting Corner Kicks as they are at wasting them!!!! :x3::x3::x3:

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're at 42': so far the stats are 2 shots for USA, 0 on goal; 1 shot for Canada, 0 on goal.

Were we saying, remembering of USA-Australia and Canada-Brazil? :sleep::sleep::sleep:

18. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This is definitely not anywhere near the Battle of Old Trafford from 2012. Guess it's OK for now, but I would take a garbage goal from the Reds on a broken play if I have to.

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    USA can end winning the gold, sure, but nobody could claim that they're playing good football.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, so far this game doesn't even qualify as a decent way to kill time while waiting for Australia-Sweden! :sleep:

I am tempted to switch to Gymnastics.

21. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Penalty!

blissett repped this.
  22. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And Fleming scores! Plenty of pace and top corner. Goalkeepers can only hope and pray on old school penalties like this.

blissett repped this.
  23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good news. Back to football!:p

blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, just the time of watching Vanessa Ferrari's potential medal-winning exercise, and I am back to a very well progressing semifinal. :D:D:D

I guess Sinclair, who had missed in the PK shootout vs Brazil, was very mature and unselfish in leaving the ball to Fleming: a winning team need a Champion who knows when to step up and when to step back. :notworthy:

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    4 minutes of additional time? For what???? :devilish::devilish::devilish:

Romario'sgurl repped this.