2020 Tokyo Olympics - general discussion

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by shlj, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, just giving @blissett some teasing.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two comments:
    1 - China looked intimidated through the first two goals
    2 - We need match pbp commentators like that here in the US.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In Italy, basically no-one gives a damn about women's football, unless it involves Italian teams (and even then, a lot of people don't care anyway). So, it basically doesn't matter who has the Olympic rights, because they're not going to show women's football anyway. :(

Thanks a lot to those who posted highlights from the missing games! :thumbsup:

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Judging from these highlights, despite the score China weren't completely outplayed by Brazil: they maybe were in First Half, but it looks like in Second Half they had their fair share of chances and they were quite unlucky not to score at least one (that could have put them back in the game, if scored during the long stint when they were behind by "just" 0-2).

West Ender repped this.
  5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Fatigue, from the absurdly tight schedule, along with the humidity are sure to play a significant role in this tourney. I suppose that's obvious. Team depth and managing player minutes are going to be huge.

soccernutter and Bauser repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The goalscoring record is going to fall if things carry on that way.

blissett repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just went looking for the China v. Zambia match highlights, but couldn't find it (yet). But NBC (our broadcaster over here) has the US highlight up. Notice how I say the US highlights, and not the match highlights. What crap they are.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Zambia advance (I know, but I have hope), the Banda might do it herself. :D

blissett repped this.
  9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Highlights Japan-Great Britain, Netherlands-Brazil and New Zealand-USA

Sweden-Australia

Chile-Canada

China-Zambia

Bauser, JanBalk, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can I somehow super-rep you? :giggle::thumbsup:

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There were a whopping 31 goals in this last Olympic match-day (if I correctly counted them, that is! :x3:) and, although part of the China-Zambia match's ones are missing (is anyone able to retrieve more complete highlights from that game? :unsure:), I want to try selecting a top-3. Does anyone want to join the game? :)

I am afraid my top-3 are all from the same group (F):

1 - Vivianne Miedema's 1st goal vs Brazil: the move she made to get free in the box is something top-players only have the coldness to execute so well under pressure. A goal-machine, but also a technical master.

2 - Barbra Banda's 3rd goal vs China: ok, it's not necessarily the best one of Banda's goals, but it's the one putting Zambia ahead by 4-3, it's a testament to her stubborness and ruthlessness, it's the one completing the record-setting second hat-trick in two games and... you want to know? The dance with the team after that goal was a factor in my selection! :laugh: Interesting tidbit: currently Banda has just 4 caps in Zambian Senior Team and she scored 9 goals: an average of 2,25 goals per game. :cool:

3 - Dominique Janssen vs Brazil: what a masterpiece of a FK! Curved over the wall, powerful, so accurate that even if Barbara had dove so well and so high that she had an hand on it, she could do nothing to stop it from going in just in the upper ninety! Slow clap.

Honorable mentions: of the Sweden's goal, I especially liked Fridolina Rölfo's 2nd one vs Australia: it was a fast and very well-taken shot. I didn't feel like awarding any of the US goal, because New Zealand's defending was frankly very poor, but Christen Press' one was maybe the best one of them, by a technical point of view.

12. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Always pleased to see an Umeå* player score.

(* once an Umeå player, always an Umeå player, regardless of current club)

Romario'sgurl, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  13. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I should have split the videos up on four different posts so that you could rep me four times.:( :laugh:

blissett, L'orange and JanBalk repped this.
  14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Great Britain winning Group E? Didn't have that. Japan hasn't looked their best but they should get by Chile in their last game. Netherlands should win Group F based on GD, but Brazil could also score 10+ against Zambia.

QUARTERFINALS:
    Great Britain vs. Australia
    Sweden vs. Canada
    Netherlands vs. United States
    Japan vs. Brazil

15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    These would all be interesting matches. Australia has some good players and is capable of beating Great Britain. The Matilidas played a good first half against Sweden, but then fell apart in the 2nd. The Aussies just can't seem to put complete games together and I'd have to give GB the nod.

Canada is good defensively but I don't think has enough in attack to beat a Sweden team that has more scoring threats and is clicking in this tournament.

The Dutch don't seem ready to beat the U.S. They've lost the last two times they've played the Americans. The Netherlands are somewhat shaky in the back--with young, inexperienced players at outside back and centerback--and while their midfield is good, it doesn't match up well with the burly U.S. midfield, especially with Ertz seemingly healthy.

Based on current form I give Brazil a slight advantage over a Japan team that is hard to break down but has looked pretty pedestrian going forward. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the host team raise its play with the stakes high.

Hexa repped this.
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Jocasta peeks in. Now Hagabo.
    I miss the heyday of the Women's Rivalry Forum

Or I could have reported you four times for false and misleading advertisements... All of them are geoblocked in the US, at least they are for me (Boo! Hiss!) :(

hagabo_i_exil and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Everyone reps me, but no-one joins the game? :ninja: Or it's the fact that you unconditionally all agree with my selection of goals? :p It would be a first time on a football forum, having all people agree on anything...

Anyway... with a little research in Chinese, I managed to at least find all of Wang Shuang's goals: actually, the deflection on the third one appears so determinant that I am not sure that I wouldn't have called an own-goal: probably Wang Shuang's shot was anyway framed, but I am not 100% sure. Although I sure understand the narrative of giving all of the Chinese goals to the same player. :p

https://www.bilibili.com/s/video/BV1CP4y1s7EC

Now, if only I somehow had access to Zambian media (anyone does?) we could retrieve all of Barbra Banda's goals also! :unsure:

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually found a Zambian news website that had a video, but it was removed by the IOC! :laugh:

The only thing that I currently found out is an Eurosport video having some different-angle views of Banda's last goal and it seems to me it's anyway worth posting:
    https://www.eurosport.de/fussball/o...reibt-damit-geschichte_vid1508499/video.shtml

soccernutter repped this.
  19. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #344 Lohmann, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Are you sure that this is the correct link? I can`t see a video.

I would have to watch the goals again but during the Olympic Games I might have not enough time (After 17 hours of Olympic Games every day I need some sleep.:sleep::sleep::sleep:).

West Ender repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, IOC already managed to tear down the video already: they're really relentless! :eek:

I've only managed to find this other one, but the actions are vertically cut and frankly useless (you can somehow guess the deflection on the third goal, though):
    https://www.bilibili.com/s/video/BV1Q44y1y7En

Lohmann repped this.
  21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Unless something strange happens in BRA-ZAM, the quarterfinals are set:

Great Britain vs. Australia
    Sweden vs. Japan
    Netherlands vs. USA
    Canada vs. Brazil

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Great match ups. Would not be a big surprise if any of those got through to the semis.

West Ender repped this.
  23. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Australia hasn't looked their best this tournament, but I can still see them upsetting GB. Sweden should get by Japan and same from Brazil over Canada. The US-Netherlands match is the one to watch.

West Ender, SiberianThunderT and Hexa repped this.
  24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I am hoping for US and the three Swedish lead team in Semis.

Although for further slot assignmnets it wouldn't be bad if GB and the Netherlands reached Semis.

toad455 repped this.
  25. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Based on GD, Zambia will finish third in Group F and 9th overall.

9. Zambia
    10. China
    11. Chile
    12. New Zealand

soccernutter and blissett repped this.