2020 Tokyo Olympics - general discussion

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by shlj, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Where were they, the UK? Hoping they get cleared in time for the Olympics.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think they did not get the exemption needed from the 10 day quarantine, so did not travel to the UK.

3. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021

It seems like this might actually happen.

4. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they need the IOC (or FIFA) to agree to this?
    It seems like it's too late to make such a drastic change.
    I won't hold my breath.

5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #255 Lechus7, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    If it would be accepted unanimously... then maybe. But I can't see it. For one, it's still unfair to change the rules in the middle of the proccess to better suit some over all.

Andonovski picked an "old" roster so naturally he is now jumping the wagoon "bigger player pool for rotation" cuz that will help US immensely.
    Europeans are unaccustomed of playing in heatwave so they bang the same drum.

West Ender, blissett and Ponde_Ringu repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't the see the IOC accepting this at all.

Lechus7, West Ender and blissett repped this.
  7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    They need IOC's and they may need FIFA's, but I am pretty sure FIFA will agree on it in a heartbeat, much harder to see why IOC would approve it.

soccernutter repped this.
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said this elsewhere: after the overage and injury-riddled roster the US just announced, why the heck would anyone else go along with it? The US wearing down is everyone else's best chance

9. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Well it was a European coach that proposed it. Maybe they are more concerned about the well being of their players then we give them credit for.

kolabear repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but didn't they say it before the US dropped its roster?!
    If they were to pull the rug out from under the idea now I would say, "well played"
    Tee-hee! :)

11. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think he put together the “last hurrah” roster. If they lose, then expect some massive changes right away, if they win, then phase in the changes, but there will eventually be important changes to the roster. A win win situation for Vlatko.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vlatko's comments favor the US, but it is in line with how the men's EUROs are being treated (I'm not following the Copa), and is likely a one-off request because of the pandemic. Even if it is a request that supports only football (even only Women's football), I'm still in favor of it. That said, I agree with @JanBalk in that FIFA would approve, but not the IOC.

13. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    Imo because this idea was suggested so late on it doesn't even support all the countries participating in the women's football tournament. It only benefits those requesting it (USA, SWE, NED).

The other countries chose their alternates on the premise that they would be used as permanent replacements when a player was injured, not substitutes. Surely that effected their roster selection. Unless every participating country agrees with it, I'm not sure it can be applied in a fair way.

soccernutter, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And also if the IOC does it for the women, they would have to do it for the men tournament too. And I don't think anyone in the men tournament has requested that change.

15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Every team including those three (unless theior are run by idiots) chose their alternates on the premise that they would be used as permanent replacements when a player was injured, not substitutes.

kolabear repped this.
  16. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    #266 Ponde_Ringu, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Is there a way to prove that? All theses coaches became vocal about this idea right after they released their olympic roster. Vlatko especially will benefit hugely from this change with the "old" roster he chose.

Unless there's a way to prove that these three coaches selected their roster without ever considering that they might be used as substitutes, there is no fair way of making this change for the olympics.

Again, I would've been all for this rule change if it was suggested before any other team released their roster or if it was for the next olympics. An 18 player squad for such an intense schedule in the middle of summer is ridiculous with or without COVID.

Edit: Just realized I sound kinda angry and aggressive but it's not on purpose I swear:speechless:. I'm not trying to say that these coaches are trying to cheat the system. I know they're probably just concerned for the well being of their players. But my point is that there's no way to prove they aren't trying to cheat the system no matter their intentions.

blissett, soccernutter and Lechus7 repped this.
  17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Of course as you very well know you can never prove what someone else or even yourself is oneself are thinking.

But there are very strong Circumstantial evidence they haven't taken out their teams based on that:
    1 - None of them are complete idiots, if you are to lazy to check that out by checking that out I will not do it for you.

2 - Even a half-wit can see that see that it is unlikely to pass for proof of that se #263in this thread.

3 - Only an idiot would take out his or her team based on a proposal that may go trough but is fairly likely to fall.

But still you do and demand impossible proof that they are not cheating the system. So please show some proof that any of the accused have a history of cheating the system.
    Otherwise I must assume you have some kind of personal winning on it, probably bet a bunch on a high number of injured player and that you would lose money if not enough is injured. You are of course free to show proof of the opposite but until you do my assumption will stand.

18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    ..Kinda feel like we've exhausted this line of inquiry by now..

What will happen if a player catches Covid and has to self-isolate? Is an alternate player allowed to replace them? Or is that solely for injuries?

A few men's teams have had players ill at Euro 2020+1, but the only rule for a replacement is if it's a goalkeeper.

Ponde_Ringu repped this.
  19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #269 Lechus7, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    to all involved in roster discussion (including myself):

CHILL OUT GENTS AND LADIES!

[​IMG]

Yes it's allowed as per ilness case.

Alternate players

In addition to the 18 players officially enrolled for the final competition(s), each association is allowed, if deemed necessary, to select a maximum of four alternate players per team, who shall appear in the provisional and the final list of players and officials, but shall not be officially enrolled for the Tournaments and therefore shall not be allowed to play. The following applies to these four alternate players:
    • a) They are not among the 18 players officially enrolled in their team’s list of players and officials. They are not allowed to compete in the final competition unless the provisions of par. 11 c) below apply;
    • b) The purpose of selecting alternate players is, in principle, to have them available should one or more of the officially enrolled players sustain an injury or in the case of force majeure once the final competitions have started;
    • c) Any request to change the status of an alternate player in order to enrol him/her in the official list of 18 players shall be made following approval and confirmation from the relevant FIFA committees and by following the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy. Once the replacement request has been approved by all parties, the relevant form shall be submitted in writing to the Tokyo 2020 Accreditation Centre(s) by the Chef de Mission of the respective NOC or other official NOC representative authorised to do so by the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy;
    • d) The alternate players shall be numbered 19 to 22, with the number 22 being reserved for the alternate goalkeeper;
    • e) All costs incurred by any alternate player (airfares, board, lodging, etc.) shall be borne by either the relevant participating member association or the respective NOC.

Replacement of injured players after submission of the final list and during the Tournaments

Players may only be replaced according to the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy for reasons of injury, illness or force majeure. If a player who features on the final list of 18 players or four alternate players sustains a serious injury or is so ill that he/she can no longer be expected to play, that player may be replaced provided that:
    • a) the FIFA Medical Committee has verified the injury or illness on the basis of a medical certificate issued by the team doctor responsible (in one of the four official languages of FIFA);
    • b) the player’s incapacity has been confirmed by FIFA;
    • c) the relevant form has been properly submitted to Tokyo 2020 by the Chef de Mission of the respective NOC (or other official NOC representative authorised to do so according to the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy).
    Full details will be provided by means of circular letter with regards to deadlines for submitting requests to replace injured players. If the request is submitted after the set deadline until up to 24 hours before the team’s first match, the proposed replacement player must have appeared on the provisional list submitted to FIFA, and must also have appeared on the “long list” submitted to Tokyo 2020 by the respective NOC. During this period, any approved replacement player will take over the shirt number of the injured/ill player he/she is replacing.
    Players may be replaced at any time during the tournaments after the deadline of 24 hours before the team’s first match, for reasons of injury, illness or force majeure. During this period, the proposed replacement player must be one of the officially accredited alternate players. Alternate players who replace injured/ill players during this period will retain their alternate player shirt number (19-22) instead of taking over the shirt number of the injured/ill player he/she is replacing.
    If an alternate player formally replaces a player on the final list through the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy, the empty alternate player slot may not be filled by another player from the provisional list.
    Under no circumstances may the list of 18 players in the men’s competition include more than the maximum number of three over-age players.
    All formal player replacement procedures must be completed no later than three hours before kick-off in order for a player to be eligible to play in that match. Should an alternate Player replace a Player and appear on the start list, said alternate Player will also obtain a medal should his/her team finish first, second or third in the Tournaments, in addition to the replaced Player.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lechus7, your image is just about the best ever!

soccernutter and Lechus7 repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod note:

@JanBalk knock off the insults.
    1 - If you must insult, don't post
    2 - If you do continue insult, thread ban.
    3 - If you insult in multiple threads, forum ban.

Also, please tone down the aggression in this forum. This is not the USWNT forum.

pierre bezukhov repped this.
  22. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] This friendly match cancellation raises some questions... (five players tested positive for Covid before they could travel from S Africa to the Netherlands)

When are all the teams travelling to Japan? And when are the other Olympic sportspeople going to Tokyo? It would probably help every competitor to be there early in any case, but the football tournament is about 3 weeks from now.

Does anybody need to quarantine when they arrive, or are they all exempt?

What happens if someone tests positive for Covid on their trip? Will Japan let them enter?

Is there an athletes' village like normal? And why do they call it a village? So many questions.

23. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    I don't think any woso teams have arrived yet and I don't know much about when they will come. In terms of olympic participants in general though, they've been trickling in from the start of the year and some have actually tested positive.

2 players tested positive from Uganda, 1 olympic staff from France, 1 coach from Egypt, one team staff from Sri Lanka and a football player from Ghana.

If these participants arrive in groups and some of them happen to test positive they will all be stopped at the airport for authorities to conduct further PCR tests and investigate who was in close contact.

No matter if they test positive or not at the airport, all players will be tested(with less accurate but faster Antigen tests) once a day during their stay in Japan.

The government is requesting that all participants are tested once everyday for a week before traveling here.

Yes there is a village and the hope is that everyone would have tested negative by the time they move in and it will be a safe environment. Players are prohibited from traveling outside the village unless they are training or playing.

It's a complicated process so I'm probably missing a lot of details but this is what I (and I assume the average Japanese) know about it.

24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I can only imagine there will be a slew of withdraws due to COVID positive tests. Having an entire team forced to withdraw will only fuel the flames about the games needing to be cancelled.

25. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    They lost some competitors in baseball, basketball, rowing, and some equestrian teams. But apart from that, the only ones who've withdrawn from the Games due to Covid fears are North Korea, several towns in Japan, 10,000 volunteers, and the world's oldest woman. :confused:

soccernutter and blissett repped this.