2020 Tokyo Olympics - general discussion

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by shlj, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Er...

Well, it should be easy for certain teams to make headers at corners, now that players have randomly grown or shrunk in height. :oops:

[​IMG]

Obviously there's a debate to be had over how tall people really are, and whether true art adheres to reality or is simply a metaphor based on how fast they can do a photoshop after the qualifiers. And I never thought I'd say, "Fifa, yous need to employ a different mural artist", but here we are.

So, is this thing happening? Or is there a sting in the tail?

SuperHyperVenom and blissett repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unexpected news:
    CDC and State Department issuing warnings against travel to Japan for the Olympics, even for people who are vaccinated. Per a CDC statement: "Travelers should avoid all travel to Japan. Because of the current situation in Japan even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to Japan." The current case and death rates in Japan are about half that of the USA.

3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I thought Japan & the IOC weren't allowing spectators? I know there's still a good amount of push back that they're still holding the games. There's also a slim chance they can still get cancelled.

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Lohmann, West Ender and blissett repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Each team's four reserves travels with the rest of the squad to Tokyo--but can they train with the team or no?

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes they do everything except play in games, and the FA pays for everything for them unlike for other players.

West Ender repped this.
  8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Not much changed since April.

Biggest unknowns are GBR and ZAM (they'll play each other in friendly in July) CHN and NZL.

Group E
    Japan as hosts have home field advantage. Finishing behind them GBR and CAN in that order. Canada needs to find their fangs or Chile gonna upset them with a draw.

Group F
    Netherlands 7:0 against "missing" Norway and 5:0 vs. equally poor Australia dosen't convince me as much as their quite average games vs. strong defense of Spain and Italy. Not to say that they will not overtake China and Brazil, but Steel Roses are known for strong defense and finally they are scoring goals. Brazil is puzzle. Zambia is big unknown - their domestic league is still playing so at least they should be fit for Tokyo.

Group G
    Sweden looked better than US in their head-to-head this year but in case of draw US may still outscore them if equal on points at the end. Beside that, Kiwi's may now have a shot on Aussies.

9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #234 Lechus7, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    July heat and humidity.

average low temp (night) - average high temp (day)
    average humidity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sapporo (Saporo Dome)
    15.3°C (59.5°F) - 23.4°C (74.1°F)
    humidity 86%

E1 16:30 GBR - CHI
    E1 19:30 JPN - CAN
    E2 16:30 CHI - CAN
    E2 19:30 JPN - GBR

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rifu (Miyagi Stadium)
    20.2°C (68.4°F) and 26.3°C (79.3°F)
    humidity 83%

F1 17:00 CHN - BRA
    F1 20:00 ZAM - NED
    F2 17:00 CHN - ZAM
    F2 20:00 NED - BRA
    G3 17:00 NZL - SWE
    E3 20:00 CHI - JPN
    QF1 17:00 (2E vs. 2F)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kashima (Kashima Stadium)
    20.0°C (69°F) - 26.0°C (80°F)
    humidity 86%

G3 17:00 USA - AUS
    E3 20:00 CAN - GBR
    QF2 18:00 (1E vs. 3F/G)
    SF1 17:00 (QF4 vs. QF1)
    Bronze 17:00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yokohama (Inernational Stadium)
    23.5°C (74.3°F) - 28.2°C (82.8°F)
    humidity 80%
    average heat index: 32.6°C (90.7°F)

F3 20:30 NED - CHN
    QF4 20:00 (1F vs. 2G)
    SF2 20:00 (QF2 vs. QF3)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saitama (Saitama Stadium 2002)
    23.4°C (74.1°F) - 30.3°C (86.5°F)
    humidity 75%
    average heat index: 37.1°C (98.8°F)

G2 17:30 SWE - AUS
    G2 20:30 NZL - USA
    F3 20:30 BRA - ZAM
    QF3 19:00 (1G vs. 3E/F)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tokyo (Tokyo Stadium and National Stadium)
    23.3°C (73.9°F) - 29.3°C (84.7°F)
    humidity 77%
    average heat index: 34.9°C (94.8°F)

G1 17:30 SWE - USA
    G1 20:30 AUS - NZL
    Final 11:00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As per the rules:" e) All costs incurred by any alternate player (airfares, board, lodging, etc.) shall be borne by either the relevant participating member association or the respective NOC."

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    1404809596611465221 is not a valid tweet id

I'd love that idea.... if it was introduced at least a year ago. But now? A proposal month before Olympics? How does exactly NED intend to prove that they didn't train, make team strategies and tactics tailored for 22 players all time along (knowing beforehand that FIFA will agree on this proposal) while all other countries did it for 18 player teams at the same time.
    If IOC agrees upon it, then fair play rule goes out of the window.

soccernutter and Football1000 repped this.
  12. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And your argument is for only one sport.
    What about all the other team sports?
    How would the proposed change be fair to them?

soccernutter and Lechus7 repped this.
  13. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Is this time correct? After playing most of the games in the late afternoon or evening they are going to play the final at 11:00 in the morning? Seriously, what are they thinking?

Or is this because they think the US will make the final and they want a nice time for the US market?

West Ender repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Japan roster

GK
    Ikeda Sakiko (Mitsubishi Urawa Reds)
    Yamashita Ayaka (INAC Kobe Leonessa)

DF
    Kumagai Saki (Bayern Munchen)
    Shimizu Risa (NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza)
    Miyagawa Asato (NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza)
    Minami Moeka (Mitsubishi Urawa Reds)
    Kitamura Nanami (NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza)
    Takarada Saori (Washington Spirit)

MF
    Nakajima Emi (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    Hasegawa Yui (AC Milan)
    Sugita Hina (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    Miura Nanami (NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza)
    Shiokoshi Yuzuho (Mitsubishi Urawa Reds)
    Endō Jun (NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza)

FW
    Sugasawa Yuika (Mitsubishi Urawa Reds)
    Iwabuchi Mana (Arsenal)
    Tanaka Mina (Bayer 04 Leverkusen/ INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    Momiki Yuka (OL Reign)

Reserve players:
    Hirao Chika (Albirex Niigata)
    Miyake Shiori (INAC Kobe Leoenssa)
    Hayashi Honoka (AIK)
    Kinoshita Momoka (NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza)

15. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Sorry to harsh the mellow but I'm out on this one. As much as it pains me to miss such great matches, I won't be watching any of them. Profit is always a big part of the Olympics but it is a wrapper and comes behind the athletes and competition. These games have it the other way around. The health and wellbeing of the athletes and the Japanese people, the equity of participating countries and their ability to prepare to compete; everything has been put behind the event's economics. I know if I ignored that I would eventually regret it.

16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    o_O ... puzzling.

What's the difference now from let's say She Believe's or Superbowl's in 2020&21, etc., or this year men's EURO's?
    I can't recall (correct me if I'm wrong) you say that you will not watch those (out of the same reasons)

My thoughts on Olympic are: if International community along with Japan gov., decided to run the Games (as safe as they can get it to happen in current circumstitions, with heavy restrictions in place), then watching the Olympics is the least I can do out of greatefulness to the hosts - whom many took mortages or other financial strain in preparation to host the tourists and other aspects of the Games. Let's not forget, it's small buissnes that was hit hardest by covid pandemic. I guess worsening living conditions (to the point of poverty or bankruptcy) of many Japanese people have been somewhat lost in translation.

West Ender repped this.
  17. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    What does a few people taking mortgages to host people and their personal financial impact have to do with the Olympics being run? They will lose money either way because there are no visitors. You feel better watching in honour of them? They don't want you watching.

The large majority of Japanese do not want the games. Their voice is the one lost. They had 10,000 volunteers quit and good on them. I was over there in 2020 in the build-up before things were cancelled and spoke to a lot of people and I'm surprised it's only 10K.

I did not watch any of the SheBelieves or Super Bowl and have not seen a men's Euro match yet. Not because of covid though, because you can't compare one-off single games or a few to "the" major international sporting event encompassing the entire planet.

18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    @Lechus7 - apologies, I think you always have a great read on the game and have a lot of respect for your opinions. I just differ on this one, not just from you but everyone.

Not looking to spark the flames but can see how this one could easily do that. So fading into the ether...

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    We agree to disagree. ;)

20. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    Hello new to this thread but just wanted to share a bit of data
    I'm guessing you are basing this statement on polls that were taken in April/early May. Since then as the games get closer and vaccine rollout happening at a faster rate than expected, new polls are showing drastically different results. In one of these new surveys only 31% said they want the olympics canceled. 29% are pro olympics without spectators, 32% are pro olympics with limited spectators and 3% said they should just ignore the pandemic and host it full capacity. That makes a total of 64% of people wanting the olympics held. (61% if you negate the 3% of crazy people who do not believe in a pandemic)

NHK's (the BBC of Japan) poll taken in early June

https://seijichishin.com/?p=63447 (This is a very politically biased article that supports the olympics but the data was not actually taken by them so just look at the pie chart not the analysis)

It's ultimately your choice if you want to watch it or not and as a Japanese person I think the fact that we have to have these kind of conversations has already ruined the "hype" of the olympics for most of us. At this point I'm just watching to cheer on the players.

Imo if the greed for money was an issue it's not just the Tokyo Olympics you should stop watching it's every other olympic tournament ever and maybe you could also boycott NBC.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update.

I'll watch to support the Women's game, but I'm concerned about the low level of vaccinations (relative to other developed contries) by the Japanese with people coming in from all over the world. Not that there won't be solid protocols, but that somebody might present a false negative or somebody might slip by somehow.

toad455 repped this.
  22. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Zambia on the red list for UK which means 10 day "in prison" confined in a locked hotel.

24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

No confirmation by JFA on this friendly. (beside, Japan match is scheduled on 14th July) :cautious:

soccernutter repped this.
  25. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Some more news on the matter...

soccernutter and blissett repped this.