2020 Supporter's Summit Information

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by DGA57v2, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I have been around forums since they were called BBS's, even participating on 'flame war' boards. That was a long time ago, and I care more about my Crew fandom than I ever did about anything on those old things, so more deliberate and cautious was my first instinct.

eboe repped this.
  2. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I did not realize this. Very nice.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been a poster on here for half of my life. Joined at seventeen. F-e-m-a-l-e. Emphasis on the fe part. This place was a bit of a circus at the time (no offense to all of my fellow long-time posters). I do not fully understand why this place would seem intimidating.

I find both Facebook and Twitter to be tough places to carry any sort of meaningful discussion (Twitter very much so). For instance today, my husband tagged me in a friend’s FB post on poverty. If I had been on here, I could have seamlessly quoted various pieces of the comment, and then I could have responded to each particular point. FB is not set up for that. Neither is Twitter (save for the tweet of a tweet, which is annoying to find). I find Twitter to be a whole lot of noise and people just shouting out their opinions and trying to be the first to share their “takes.” No real dialogue.

As for the anonymity, I would imagine that is why some of our fellow posters stick around here. Not that I ever cared about the notion of having anonymity.

Draghignazzo, CybrSlydr and eboe repped this.
  4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've never desired to remain anonymous, as I had my photo as my avatar for years and years. I enjoy meeting people from here for the most part.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely agree with these sentiments. Twitter is where I go to read news. Facebook is where I see what my friends are saying about the news. BigSoccer is where I discuss soccer and soccer-related things with people who I may or may not know (I'm not sure for the most part) in real life.

Tobias C repped this.
  6. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time listener. Multiple time poster.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have been nice when I was using COTA...

8. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    I remember having an account in matchnight but didnt post much.....I lurked for a long time in bigsoccer before posting.

For fun I looked at my original posts. My first wasnt even about Columbus, but a Colorado game thread.

My second post was rewarded with a Mr Archer belt whipping in a thread about a former coach....he quoted me but my post was never directed at him :) The 3rd post was calling him a board warrior.....then I crawled back into my hole I came from. I didnt come back to the cbus forums to post for another year....I just lurked with ptsd that Mr Archer gave me.

Bigsoccer was extremely valuable in travel planning for the 2006 world cup.

Maybe because alot of us have aged, but I prefer this place and the people Ive never met more now than I did 15 years ago.

9. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to check out the sports Usenet groups back in the '90s, before they got spammed to hell. Talk about the Wild West of the Internet. There were some truly bizarre personalities on Usenet.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, hi. Had the worst happened a year or so ago, at least a few of you may have an idea what you'd be doing on Saturday nights in the summer.

Funny anecdote: Back during the Netscape era, the bottom of the web browser would show the IP address of the site being contacted. There was a day when my local internet connection was down...except if you knew the IP address. Guess how many people were in the computer lab that day and guess what site they were on? FWIW, it was a T1 connection.

Speaking to several posts, I'm sure @Bill Archer can regale you about the Rivalry XI, Topper, Mike Segroves, rivalries with other boards, how Bruce Arena was reading BigSoccer at the team hotel and how the site would crash when five people tried to post at the same time.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It was never intimidating for you. Big sister Aimer was watching your back.

DrunkandDisorderly and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started out on MatchNight and posted there. When it went under I got pointed in this direction.
    I lurked for YEARS. I found BS a good source of info and reasonable discussion, so I followed threads with some regularity. But, to me, it seemed people could be brutal on here. And I shied away from joining and posting.
    Things have mellowed out around here over time—or maybe I’m just less sensitive.
    I joined about five years ago, but I bet I lurked for a good 8 years before that.

the_rickler and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #114 Kryptonite, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    I had a random thought a few days ago:

This site has been around in one way, shape, or form for about 22 years. If someone was banned in, say, 1999 or 2002 or whatever...

I know a few came back repeatedly (at least one guy under very similar names and in extremely short fashion), but I wonder how many of them came back years later and managed to stick around. If someone was trolling here as a HS or college student in 2001 and came back in 2009, there'd be no way to really notice. (I was banned via IP from a different site under really strict moderators. The moderators left the site and I'm now a VIP-type there.)

Still, I'd probably be surprised.

Edit ... It appears that not only have I had that thought previously, but such has actually happened.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/hi-can-i-reclaim-my-old-user-name-from-like-15-years-ago.2092188/

15. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This sounds like me. I had an account on Matchnight then lurked here for years. I had an account and posted maybe twice before lurking again.

TKyle repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I have three brothers. You guys do not scare me.

2) I joined this place right after or during that whole mess. I think a lot of anti-..... sentiment existed.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, that whole mess scared off a lot of people. The level of vitriol, anger and hatred was sometimes frightening and it went on full-bore for probably six months and then simmered on a back burner for another couple of years during which it didn't take much to get it to flare up.

That's really when this board got it's reputation, but as we all know, to this day if you say something ignorant you'll get a whacking.I've always said it's something like a bunch of friends sitting in a bar having a few. Say something dumb and our buddies will jump your shit with glee. They still like you but you're going to get a load of crap anyway.

But the whole A****C*** thing wasn't so much on her; sure her actions precipitated it but she pretty much vanished shortly thereafter. There were instead one or two guys who seriously got up in the morning, grabbed a coffee and spent the whole day arguing that she hadn't done anything objectionable. Which, agree or disagree, got very very old and after a while the whole thing boiled down to WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST SHUT AND GO AWAY. The reply to this was more or less "sure, as soon as you agree that I'm right"

After that I wouldn't have blamed any woman for avoiding this place like the plague, but it was never about her gender; she was actually very popular, something of a celebrity really, and people liked her. Until she pissed everybody off.

18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Matchnight linked to the Crew's website back in the day? I thought I remembered getting to a message board through their website but I couldn't remember if that was it.

TKyle repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #119 Bill Archer, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Yes. And actually I think it was owned by Matt Bernhardt, but I may have that wrong. Can't recall the name of the jerk off who ran it who expelled me from the thing (everybody knows that story by now) and it was Bernhardt who made him undo it but I never went back anyway.

That was before MLS took all team websites in-house. They could host a forum, link to a forum of their choice or ignore it altogether. A lot of them used to simply link to their corresponding BS forum.

When MLS took over they initially tried to setup their own version but it was terrible and nobody used it.

TKyle and kgilbert78 repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, didn't they actually run the Crew website for a bit?

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The best part about having brothers is you get to go Invader games.

22. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I remember the names Lee Smith and Shane Murphy as people that did stuff for Matchnight. I came over shortly before MN went away and now regret everything...

Draghignazzo, Ch(Elsey) and hangthadj repped this.
  23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether for good or for bad, currently this place is the most hospitable that I can ever recall. Hell we even have a welcoming committee led by @TKyle.

TKyle repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took a few shots when I was first on--I had a little inside knowledge but couldn't say too much about it for a number of different reasons (basically about the reason for a player move--I knew why and had it on good authority but was not allowed to say more (and I consider that still to be the case)). But it's the standard baptism of fire around these parts. Go though it with a good nature and you're one of the gang....

Draghignazzo and Bill Archer repped this.
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this message on FB, but tweets seem to show up better on here.

MLSinSTL and Kryptonite repped this.