News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Doomers, where’s all the bad news? Is it too positive for you? You gotta have something this week, even just retweeting fake liberal claims about something related the virus not supported by data!!!

Borrachin repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should advocate for ending unnecessary lockdowns earlier, eh? There’s no model with MLS that works without fans attending, they aren’t EPL or NFL that could get by for a while with it.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article is written fairly with a bent to how altruistic MLS and NWSL are being, but realistically with minimal TV revenue and no fans in the stands both leagues have to wait and hope they can play games later this year with some fans to get some gate revenues. And since they have all the season ticket money as an interest-free loan they can afford to wait a bit.

I have no idea if they are paying players full salaries or trying to get them to accept a reduction. I think come end of May the league will have to make some hard calls economically

https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/cor...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Driving around the burb just now, never witnessed so many folks out n about walking, jogging, ridng bikes and being outdoors with their kids in tow!

5. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, caught this article earlier this morning. What do you think tho 7?

For me, since MLS HQ reports every year that having butts in the seats really is so vital to the success/survival of the league, then having a glorified pre-season type set up a la Spring Training for our Astros in Florida where all the teams gather there (or Arizona) to play round robin games seems like band aid solutions to returning to play. If we can wait this long, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing really, we can wait longer for when fans can return en masse to their home grounds. Really enjoy what makes pro soccer the best live sporting event to attend as shown the globe over!

7. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm thinking that for all kinds of reasons (financial mainly) some season is better than no season. not sure if the league could ever recover from a canceled season so they are desperate to come up with some sort of fix. most sporting events will probably be sans fans at least into the fall and then we have to worry about another spike in cases, so i don't have my hopes up for seeing anything in person at all this year.

*rey* repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I missed this video about the first season for our boys but if you missed it as well here it is!
    ENJOY!

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams and MLS overall will get hurt badly with no gate revenue (although I doubt they give refunds, just hold for next year then raise prices in 2021 to compensate some) but if they play the games with jersey sponsors and likely electronic signboards and TV broadcasts they can satisfy most of their sponsorship contracts for 2020. They can't lose that sponsorship money because most of it is not shared with other teams like the ticket revenue is.

A year out of sight is out of mind as well. and all of these diagrams of spacing out fans for social distancing and the queuing at certain exits and timing . . . . MLS just aint worth that hassle. Outside of playoff games or championship games it isn't worth it for most sports.

*rey* and 7seven7 repped this.
  10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they most definitely are holding on to the (my) STH money to be used as a "credit" for next year. I was told if anyone really wanted to get a full refund, they could go through a separate process to recover the money. I opted to defer to next year so I'm not sure what type of hassle the refund process is. I gotta think is MLS loses any substantial money, they won't make it as a league. I've always got the feeling (no evidence) that they operate "paycheck to paycheck" and have an income to debt ratio that would make Marx blush.

*rey* repped this.
  11. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mls-...-mls-to-play-in-empty-stadiums-123728595.html

No fans in the arenas means no ticket sales, no concession sales, no parking fees, no in-stadium merchandise sales. And MLS is particularly reliant on game day revenue.

“It’s not ideal for any sport whatsoever to [play in front of] no fans, I don’t care whether it’s college sports, Olympic sports, or the major league sports,” Garber told Yahoo Finance. “Unfortunately for our league, the vast vast vast majority of our income does come from game day revenues, so it has a different economic impact on us.”

*rey*, CeltTexan and 7seven7 repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find Nate.

Not only is there an article but a good video segment from the Commish to listen to about all this.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7seven7 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  14. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.startribune.com/major-l...d-cup-type-tournament/570536812/?refresh=true

MLS Commissioner Don Garber on Wednesday briefed coaches and players on the proposed tournament that Heath called “in its infancy.”

Qualifying group play would be followed by quarterfinals, semifinals and a final. Players, coaches and staff — more than 1,000 people — would be housed four to six weeks at a resort near Walt Disney World. They would train and play games at Disney’s 17-field athletic complex. Disney owns ESPN, one of MLS’ media partners.

Heath said the league will determine how to make it “meaningful football” that rewards achieving teams going forth. “There will be implications long term,” he said.

*rey* repped this.
  15. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a couple of days ago that bloke Rey said on facebook something like

"This weekend we're all Germans"

I was sorely tempted to respond but feared being issued a penalty (that Dynamo Fans For Change group expelled me for having the temerity to question one of it's administrators - my buddy Corey had requested admission and I told them that they shouldn't admit him because Carli had blackballed him)

Well anyway - for Rey's benefit - my response was going to be

"Didn't work in 1939 - Won't work now"

For context view Fawlty Towers - the Germans episode.

*rey* repped this.
  16. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it as, you can apply the games missed here in 2020 for games in the future.
    I just want my MLS back!
    Without fans to start is tolerable. For the first month perhaps. But by the dog days of Summer, we should be able to get back out to BBVA and look forward to enjoying ourselves at Dynamo home games without having a good time!

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but do you want to? some will want a refund - they talk about working with customers but let's face it, the legal agreement everyone agreed to when buying season tickets doesn't explicitly allow for a refund but all sorts of abatements and curable steps by the Dynamo FO. You bought a season subscription not an exact number of games.

Look, a lot of these types of "rollover vs. refund" disputes are going to crop up in many businesses as we go forward. Gym memberships is a big one, other places closed or opened with big limitations.

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have always stood by the business mindset that if a player on your team's books can be sold to European club for a significant increase of what he was brought into my club for, then pull the trigger asap. There are too many variables in play for these commodities known as pro footballers. Sudden pandemics aside, a man can get a career ending injury, fall out with the current coach and play the "want away role" which can be a cancer in our club's locker room or have domestic issues that derail his career. All these can drop a once sought after player to a player your club will most likely lose on a free.
    I hear ya. I would like to think that most professional sports clubs, among all the major leagues here in our sports landscape, will look to follow each other and "do the right thing" by their STH base. I would hate to think that there will be the odd FO's that will look to go against wisdom and stick it to their most key demographic at a time like this.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @DonJuego , @DynamoManiac , where is all of the doomer news related to Texas lately? How many Texas hospitals are full? How many temporary field hospitals are jammed packed?

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i dont where they’re at, but you know we’re about to hit 100,000 deaths in 3 months.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) the question is about Texas , b) you do realize 7,000 people die per day in this country, and that the COVID deaths - assuming they are counted accurately (not - see Seattle counting 5 people who died of gunshots as virus deaths) - actually only increase annual deaths by 2%.

take away the NYC metro and this entire event is the most overdone reaction we’ve seen in modern times

but go “fear on” !!!!

OnceAggie repped this.