News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    well if the dumbass wouldn't insist on wearing the long sleeves for each game. :D

Dynam0 repped this.
  2. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    It was at least one of our guys. I'm pretty sure on that. And it was a hot one and after that they moved away from afternoon games in the summer.

3. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I bet 2/3 of those in attendance are going to see Chicharito... maybe more

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the real question is do the Surge get financial support from the FO?

but also, how independent are groups that are all under a fabricated HustleTown banner that the FO runs? You aren’t independent when you get financial support or cede control over some shared funds to the FO. That’s not “working” with the FO , that’s being partially controlled by them.

I figure by midseason the whole thing breaks over some perceived slight by a group

6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I miss the days when way more than 2 people were considered a supporters group.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i predict a synthetic sellout - they’ll announce sellout but gaps in stands will show that may not be true.

I think 2/3rds is high just because the home opener is always well attended for the Dynamo even coming off crappy years which is most of the last half decade. Maybe 50%.

the single game prices for some seats thru the Dynamo are severely overpriced. They wouldn’t sell 10 tickets at those prices without Chicharito

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking forward to Opening Day!
    Just to be able to enjoy what should be nice weather and forecast of no rain combined with live outdoor soccer while singing to our boys in Wildcatter Naranja!

Saturday
    ‎Feb‎ ‎29
    Mostly Sunny
    70°

50°
    0%
    of Rain

Houston Dynamo Girls Launch Party.jpg

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fake HustleTown march to the match is much better than the Dynamo girls:D

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got jokes today Westie!
    Imagine the Pitchside Patio section full of our Dynamo girls looking fine as all get out! Then the football and beers!

11. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I dont know nothing about the Surge but I'd be hesitant to call the others controlled by anyone but themselves. In fact I just wouldn't say it as it'd be a flat out lie.

12. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Surge are interesting because they came out of nowhere, apparently only had two original members and received instant accreditation as a supporters group.

On the other hand, the now defunct Prawn Sandwich Brigade Ultras never achieved recognized status - which might have been because of our stringent membership requirements, general anti-authoritarian philosophy, and dress code

Dynam0, ElNaranja, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSsoccer.com has published a list of the top-50 players in MLS. List compiled by having all their writers/contributors vote. How many of the top-50 players play for the Houston Dynamo?

Not 1. Zero. Zilch.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Puts us in the distinguished company of Chicago, Vancouver, Colorado, and San Jose.

*rey* repped this.
  15. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn!!

I read this and Alan Jackson's "Remember When" started playing

16. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concacaf just published the provisional rosters for the U-23 USMNT. 50 players that may be used in olympic qualifying. RSL has at least 3 players on the roster. FCD has at least 3. FC Cincinnatti, Nashville, Miami AC all have a player on the roster. (Think on that one for a minute when people tell you we must give Dynamo Academy time.) How many of the top-50 American soccer players are affiliated with the Houston Dynamo academy? None. Zero. Zilch.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't particularly agree with their list. Personally think Hwang In-beom of the Whitecaps is one of the best midfielders in the league, which is why expectation is he's moving to the Bundesliga this summer.

Also think you could make a strong argument for Manotas being in the list given some of the other players that are there.

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Elis and Manotas are top-50 in MLS.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

Ethos repped this.
  20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Elis on basis of 2018, 100%. Elis on basis of last season, I waffle. Guy was incredibly inconsistent. Ranged from outstanding to downright mediocre.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a tremendous selection of MLS clubs where ambition is a way of being.
    We round out that list in spades! Sigh.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ho...namo-business-john-walker-expecting-mls-2020/

In past seasons, the club has attempted several things from gourmet food to special ticket promotions, but the number of tickets sold still has continually dwindled. The team has revamped its efforts in more than way in 2020, and John Walker — the President of Business Operations for the Dynamo and NWSL’s Houston Dash — says those changes are helping turn things around in Houston.

“The good news for us and I think for MLS is that for the first time since the stadium opened in 2012 our season ticket base will be growing,” Walker said. “Unfortunately, it has declined since the building opened, but for 2020 we have already exceeded our season ticket numbers for 2019.”

23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming they have increased season tickets this year, if this team goes out and absolutely sucks then most of the "new fans" probably bolt after one year.

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i don't know Don. i would consider them top 60ish

with 26 teams now the top 50 list would average out to 2 per team AND there are some MLS teams with 3-4 players better than Manotas/Elis.

25. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1975 nbrooks503, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that as of his interview, the Dynamo had more new season ticket sales for the 2020 season than they did for the comparable period last year. But we don't know how many new season tickets were sold in 2019.

"for the first time since 2012 our season ticket base will be growing" - Well the base shrank (or is it shrinked) from around 12k in 2012 to about 6.5k in 2019, and Walker said a couple of weeks ago that season ticket renewals were at around 85%. That would mean a loss of around 900 from 2019. Have they really recovered those 900 and how, does that growth include old season ticket holders who downgraded, does it include HustleTown memberships which only give the member the right to purchase. How many partial seasons tickets.

I dunno color me skeptical that, but I guess it could also mean that we sold more new season tickets this year than previous years which doesn't mean much unless you actually see the data.

DonJuego repped this.