News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Audi club is a whole new experience now — completely changed from last year. As I understand it, and this could be wrong since it has been months since my heated discussions with the FO over these changes, club access is now limited to just a few lower bowl sections. So greatly reduced number of people with access. Cost of food and drink in the club is mandatorily included in your lower bowl east-side midfield ticket price. Its all you can eat/drink pre-paid.

My problem is I want club access and don’t want to sit in the lower bowl midfield. I don’t like those seats. Our NBA pedigreed brain-trust could not conceive of anyone preferred upper bowl (no one in the NBA prefers upper bowl over lower bowl, right?) so they told me I had to move lower bowl. I told them it was a huge mistake and I expected it to be fixed. John Walker even admitted to me that they should be able to fix that problem — but he will not make the CRO admit she made a mistake and didn’t understand the difference between soccer and basketball. Its pathetic leadership. Say what you want about Chris Canetti he would have recognized the problem and solved it. Grandfathered us existing upper tier club members or something.

Just to reinforce how galling this is — they did all this without talking to any existing upper deck club members. While putting out press releases about how they want real relationships with their fans.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  2. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bright side, the people who once ran that side of things with the Dynamo are now with the Roughnecks and are totally customer oriented.

You even get an email after the game asking for input as to how to improve things
    Screenshot_20200218_002218_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

3. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want club access be aware it will cost about 2100 for the season if you have 5 yrs tenure. It will include a meal, but I'm not sure if you find it is worth the price as you can do better outside or grabbing something at the concessions.

I think their strategy is that they expect not everyone will take the time to go to the club to eat.

I had club access for 8 years, only ate there a few times and did not go into the club on many occasions.

Before you jump ask for complimentary access to try it out, then compare the cost of what you have now and what you'll get.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a family, just bring them to the Supporters Section and let the kiddos meet the other kids we all have, then you can have a pint or two with the fellas, learn the club's songs! It will be a real hoot!!!

^^^ at least do this.

Ethos repped this.
  5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1905 juvechelsea, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    I am curious how long (or at all) Ramos goes with the carryover defense before he tries his people (Valentin) or starts experimenting

I am curious if we try some of the forwards as mids since we don't seem to be selling -- at least this winter -- and the talent disparity is significant and you want as many of your best players on the field at once

One reason to "rest" players in preseason would be to hide an experiment

If you put the same mids out there and don't change the defense it will be exposed and this will be a bottom of barrel team based on defensive quality

If you put a bunch of offense out there we will still be vulnerable on the counter but the opponents will have more to deal with to get there (ie the 2017 problem we posed), and we might push towards the line

I generally agree with the range of outcomes predicted because we lack the offensive "quality" ($$$) or defensive competence to be a high seed playoff team, so it's either wilderness or around the red line at best, if we use the same old mids we will go nowhere and maybe be worse, if we use every attack minded player we have at one time, we might be interesting in a red line level sort of way

6. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Ramirez Manotas
    Quintero Vera Memo Elis
    ? Struna Figueroa Valentin
    ?

Bench
    Pena
    Salazar
    Boniek
    Martinez
    Mac
    Lundkvist/?
    Fuenmayor
    Maric/Nelson/Cropper

or

Manotas
    Quintero Memo Elis
    Boniek Vera
    ? Struna Figueroa Valentin
    ?

the back end of this is so bad it's like i cannot even bring myself to type in the names

and it's quite possible you instead see carryover mids and bizama and lundkvist and we're screwed

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i would err wrong end of the table as what i expect, only way out of it is something very creative and maybe some defense trades

i also think that for a soft defense we pay too little attention to signing DMs who can take heat off

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at these line ups Juve and I do not see where Ramos can significantly put his personal touch of how he wants to play and with what he has to work with. Certainly in the midfield where there have been nights where our team is in the fight but we cough up the ball too often in the middle third and this always handcuffs a defensive back line. Which ours is card board at best!

Also, our dead ball ability has dropped off the cliff in the last 5 seasons. For a club that used to have three if not four men on the field at the same time that could command respect when looking at a wall and a chance to fire one home on a direct to just the winning of corners and converting goals from them, that aspect to the Houston Dynamo as a soccer team has vanished. It is why I would like Ramirez and Pena to be more involved this Season. To get more of a target man to play off of on the run of play and specifically to look at on dead ball situations.
    All this demands Memo and Quintero in the midfield and thus pushes Martinez, Ceren and Tommy Mac to bench roles. Vera is no Rico but then who is. Boni somehow is still showing up so pair them in the spine of the team and have Quintero play in front of these two. Place Memo out left and of course Elis out right.

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There's zero doubt that Maric is the starting GK. There's close to zero doubt, I think, that Lundkvist is the starting LB for better or worse.

The locks in the lineup, I expect, are: Maric, Lundkvist, Struna, Vera, Manotas, Quintana and Elis. The other 4 spots are up for grabs.

Dynam0 and *rey* repped this.
  11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is this Quintana guy? He any good?

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I've got a mental block around that one. Keep wanting to say Quintana rather than Quintero. Can't explain it.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone is fully fit and thinking Ramos is possibly holding his cards close to his chest here in pre-season with the mix and match thus far. We go with a 3-5-2:

-----------------Ramirez-----------Quintero

---------Memo-----------Monatas-------------Elis
    ----------------------Vera------------Boni

-------------Struna------Figueroa------Valentin

-----------------------------Maric

It appears a Serioux issue there DM!

14. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Swap Darwin and Manotas and I think you got it

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was certain the Dynamo had acquired a new player. It is such their way.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  16. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional

a back 3 with that personnel? ugh

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know right!
    However, there is the concept that Vera can partner with Bizema at D-mid. They can sit deep. Play in front of our back line 3 man formation and clog the spine of our opponenent's attack. I would much rather concede the wing to my advisary. Force people to play wide on us. Sit deep with those five and then counter with Elis and Memo. With Quintero and Manotas up higher, Ramirez at the #9.
    Boni can be a great sub then, can play multiple roles. We will see on Palomino and the other young guys. We already know what we are going to get with Ceren, Tommy Mac and Martinez unfortunately.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.
    Good call.

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I think your lineup will create some fun attack but itll be like early Goldenballs Galaxy: losing lots of games but at least there were plenty of goals scored.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The formation also keeps our favorite Swede from playing at leftback for our defense.
    If Lundkvist does see the field, it should be much higher up the field. He is not a defender in MLS culture.

21. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My my this is a long thread.

But anyway, being somewhat lacking in memory I decided to revisit the beginning. I got as far as page 10 and then stopped because it is way too early in the day to start drinking.:laugh:

22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    speaking of drinking. Maric looked a lot better this game. it's still preseason, but i was just worried that we had another Tony Caig on our hands after he chested in that goal.

DonJuego repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Dynam0 repped this.
  25. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Preseason and that RSL team is in flux.

Still won't complain about a 4-0 win though. I could only sporadically watch this one.

From what I saw:

Memo looked electric and him and Martinez are combining really well with another.

Hansen had a nice little game.

Victor Cabrera finally managed to make it onto the field.

Bizama looked like he was getting murdered by Meram on the right, but RSL never managed to capitalize on that. Rossi was in on goal, but just smashed his shot straight into Maric's shoulder.