2020 Season: Team and Line-Up Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by DonManya, Jan 25, 2020.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Homegrown George Campbell coming on...

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Things break down and the Swedes score.. UFF DA!

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Whole sale line change for AU, 5 players come on... average age is 16. ;)

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My participation is spotty while recovering from surgery. Sorry.

Auriaprottu and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

7. DonManya

DonManya Member

C.A. Peñarol
    Uruguay
    Jan 24, 2020
    Wish you a fast recovery. Cheers

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Get well soon!

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you gents. Functional enough to go to my office job so far but only up to light physical tasks. Doing what I can to get back into 90-minute-cheering shape in time for the season opener in TN!

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I didn't get to watch the scrimmage vs the Swedes but my seat mate offered his notes.

- Atlanta still struggling against pressure and physical challenges. Some of that might be communication issues with new faces but it will be crucial for Robinson to learn how to pilot possession in the back so that the team can transition the ball snoothly.

- Barco looked good and was working better with the rest of the line. He and Pity appeared to be more on the same page compared to last year but still struggling with their own shots (as in they should take more.)

- Lot of subs. Jahn and Adams saw time and put in decent shifts. Mulraney rated highly to some as did Lennon. When Atlanta can keep their width vs an opponent they should have ample speed to create and exploit space. Now they need someone to provide the offensive threat to complement Josef.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Just a PSA, the stream is still available at https://www.atlutd.com/live if you are still interested in watching.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Bitte

14. DonManya

DonManya Member

C.A. Peñarol
    Uruguay
    Jan 24, 2020
    Anyone have any other good links to try to see if Matheus Rossetto is a good signing? This is what I found so far:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/matheus-rossetto/leistungsdaten/spieler/445000

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/319406/Show/Matheus-Rossetto

3 things that pop out at me

1.) He was never good enough to represent his national team at any age group

2.) According to the whoscored.com he played more as a defensive midfield but one of his weaknesses is tackling. Never seen a good defensive midfield that can’t tackle

3.) His market value peaked in May 23, 2018 at $3.3 million dollars and since then it has declined all the way to $900k. https://www.transfermarkt.us/matheus-rossetto/marktwertverlauf/spieler/445000

VFish repped this.
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Regarding lack of national team exposure, this is Brazil we are talking about. I mean it is not as if Gressel was going to get a call up from Die Mannsschaft anytime. As I said in the other thread, apparently Rossetto can play a number of roles for 5 Stripes. I look forward to actually seeing him play.

16. DonManya

DonManya Member

C.A. Peñarol
    Uruguay
    Jan 24, 2020
    You can’t even compare Gressel’s and Rosetto’s development. Gressel at 16 went to develop at a 6th tier German team’s academy, 6th division. Where as Rosseto’s at 12 was being developed in a youth system of a Top Division team in Brazil. Gressel never played in the top division in Germany, never. While Rosetto made his debut in the top division of his country at 19.

So while Rosetto was 19 playing top division soccer in Brasil Gressel was playing at 20 in division 1 soccer. What do you think are the chances of any powerhouse soccer country selecting a 20 year old playing Division 1 soccer in the United States to represent their country are?

17. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mentioned on the stream, and I agree, that it looked like the team was going to try to build from the back regardless of what happened. If there is a time to see what's working and not, in what circumstances, the pre-season is the time to do it. The Swedes were accommodating, and by the end of the game there were pressing deep in Atlanta's half.

I'd be surprised if we see a team press as high as that again, since in an actual game I'd wager Atlanta would be willing to play an occasional deep ball to break a press that high. Regardless of how you or I think of the player moves so far, Atlanta has upgraded its pace on the wings, so a very high press could give some good counter opportunities. Pity has shown this pre-season a few good balls that could break the press.

My real concern is how Atlanta does against a club that doesn't press, and instead just uses a bunker. United had an awful time breaking the bunker last year. Probably won't see that until the season starts. Perhaps against Nashville (though maybe Nashville doesn't want to play that defensive in their first ever home game).

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. DonManya

DonManya Member

C.A. Peñarol
    Uruguay
    Jan 24, 2020
    #43 DonManya, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020