2020 Season Rumors & Player Movement Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussion about signings and rumors of signings go here.

2. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    William Yarbrough was just released by Leon to reportedly sign with Colorado.

Also Memphis 901 signed some former Rapids keeper I’m not sure anyone else has heard of. Some kid named Tim Howard?

TrueCrew, Kenobi and TOAzer repped this.
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    How much time was left on Pizarro's contract with Monterrey? I'd guess a couple years at least since the fee was large. Sounds like they have a case and Miami will have to cough up some more scratch to settle it.

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Reports a couple weeks back said that the contact was made after Miami matched his release clause, which would be fine. Monterrey has been arguing that his release clause was post-tax (so closer to 18 million) while the player/agent was saying it was pre-tax (so 10 million and Monterrey would get less than that). Eventually Miami threw an extra couple million over the lower number (reported around 12 million instead of 10) in order to get the deal done. So if this goes to FIFA I'd assume that they will find themselves countersued over their refusal to honor a release clause. That would lead FIFA to have to rule on whether Monterrey or the player/agent was correct on what the release clause was.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you pay the release clause that's it. Monterrey is just pissed they didn't get what they originally wanted. Supposedly they had a release clause for any team in Mexico and a different lower release clause for foreign leagues. They just never thought that MLS teams will ever try to go after Pizarro.
    Which is funny cause according to reports in Mexico, Miami did pay close to 20 million for Pizarro and not the 10 million or 9 million reported here. If Monterrey did get 20 million for Pizarro then why would they be upset? They should be glad they made alot of profit.

8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Dead Fingers repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just keeping the spot warm until Reynoso arrives.

Or Benadetti. I forget which.

10. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    James to Miami rumors running around. Will be interesting to see what kind of available players and what kind of transfer fees there are after this shakes out.

12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Doubt James comes to MLS. Don't get me wrong, I wish he would but he has other options in Europe still.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question now, though, is where you'd rather not be playing when your league is suspended for a season or two. :)

For a Colombian, Miami might be a pretty sweet place for that.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan de Guzman is rumored to be headed to TFC. He’s the younger brother of the most capped Canadian MNT player, Julian de Guzman.. However, unlike his older brother, Jonathan chose to play for the Netherlands after he naturalized in 2008. If true, it will be interesting to see what the reaction of the TFC fans as Jonathan is viewed as a “traitor” for choosing the Netherlands over Canada.

Ofori repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1257626505032675330 is not a valid tweet id

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I wonder which players abroad are rumored for an MLS move? Or which MLS players are rumored to move to other clubs either in MLS or Europe?

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None. The US has shutdown immigration into the
    country, so there is no way for teams to get visas and with covid running around unchecked in the US, I doubt any international team is interested in getting US based players right now.

sitruc repped this.
  18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Jonathan I'm sure will be fine

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The Galaxy and Katai part ways after his wife decided a violent and racist tirade on social media was a good idea.

Ofori and deejay repped this.
  20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Serves him right

21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's a pretty slippery slope. Seems to imply a man should control his wife.

Nessa Diab calling Steve Bisciotti a name is a large part of why her boyfriend Colin Kaepernick is unemployed. She also called Ray Lewis an Uncle Tom. So it's no surprise a team doesn't want someone like her or Katai's wife around. But it's unusual for them to come right out and admit it.

TOAzer, Chesco United and JasonMa repped this.
  22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Once that apology he posted went over like a lead balloon, I think Katai knew that there was no way he could play for the Galaxy after his wife's posts. He'd also likely be less than welcome by some if not most teammates and there is no way the fans would back him. He probably realized it is just easier to get out of dodge and move on to somewhere that cares less about racist posts his wife makes.

23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Wife is hindering his career

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably more of a "he knows who he married" theory -- people are going to question whether he really didn't know she was a virulent racist.

Personally, I think it's more plausible that he didn't know because they're not American, and until 2018 lived in places where they probably wouldn't have seen many black people. (When Katai played in Spain, his club was in the Basque Country where there are relatively few immigrants.) Even if he had black teammates, his wife could easily have been the kind of racist who thinks of a handful of black acquaintances as "not like THOSE people" -- that's not uncommon at all. So it's quite possible that her attitude toward black people simply never came up. (Note that she is probably not an extreme Serbian nationalist, given that Katai is a Hungarian name.) If they were American or even from Western Europe, I'd find this much less plausible.

But even knowing that it's plausible for Aleksandar Katai not to have known he was marrying a virulent racist, I am still left questioning whether he did and thought it was OK.

25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if he didn't know the full complexity of his wife's thought, I'm sure he has a better insight into it now. I have no reason, no evidence, to believe he is himself racist.