2020 Season - Prediction Contest

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by cpthomas, Mar 6, 2020.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There probably should have been changes to the scoring system for this year with the changes in tournament format and rules, but now that the ball's rolling in this tournament and people have already made the predictions, I kind of think its too much trouble to change it now....even if you did get more points than me from an exact score with wrong team advancing while I predicted the draw, but wrong score, with right team advancing. :p

2. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    POR 1 HOU 2:eek:
    NJNY 1 CRS 2:cool:

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Its very unpredictable. Feel like Houston could win it instead of Portland.
    Think Reds could win.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just picking with my heart instead of my head from here on out with both NC and WAS out.

POR 1-3 HOU
    NJ 1-1 CHI (CHI advances)

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    POR 3 HOU 0
    NJNY 0 CRS 1

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm tempted to just throw some 0-0's out there, I'm really hoping for some goals:

POR 1 HOU 1 (Houston advance)
    NJ 1 CHI 2

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POR 1 HOU 1 (HOU advances)
    NJNY 0 CRS 1

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I normally do not much engage in "predictions." But this now has a real chance to be SOCCER.
    This is on grass and that will make a huge difference. Goals will come almost by accident.
    POR 4 - HOU 2 (at least one will be an own goal)
    NJ 1 - CHI 3
    The bad bounces will be gone and the players will quickly adapt to the much better conditions.
    BTW: If it rains add one goal to each side. If it rains heavily reduce all goals by 1.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although I definitely hate articificial turf too :devilish:, I am not sure its usage directly correlates with the number of goals scored, if at least a part of the teams are competent enough. U-17 WWC 2012 in Azerbaijan was played on turf, for instance, but I remember there were a lot of matches with a high number of goals, including a resounding Japan's win by 9-0 over Mexico (Momiki was on the pitch back then and she was one of the scorers in that rout).

10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    HOU 2, Port 1. I'm betting the lightning won't strike twice in favor of a depleted Porland. Daly/Groom should be able to sneak in a couple of goals

Chi 1, Sky Blue 0

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What a debacle! My prediction season is being an utter failure :( (barely half-saved by the pointing system of the direct eleimination stage :p).

I was very tempted to cast my vote on Chicago Red Stars, since they have an history in the play-offs and they were 2nd placed last season, but in the end I decided to listen to who pointed out that the Houston Dash were one of the most consistent teams throughout this whole Challenge Cup, they scored more than anyone except Courage and they have a very effective game-changer in Rachel Daly.

So my prediction for the final is:
    HOU 2 CHI 1

Don't worry, Chicago fans out there: only Orlando "stan" predictions have a worse record than me, so it will probably go the other way around. :p

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the women hate it more for the turf burns (and maybe temperature) than any perceived increase in injury risk related muscles/tendons/ligaments/bones.
    1285262480395005952 is not a valid tweet id

blissett repped this.
  13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago 1 v Houston 0

14. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    CRS 2, HOU 1

blissett repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to predict the final game's MVP. Its worth 6 points!

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, thanks for reminding me! :eek:

Although there could be a whole lot of strategic schemes suggesting to predict a team to win and the other one to get MVP to minimize damage, since I predicted a Dash win I'll go with Rachel Daly as the MVP (and I frankly don't know who else could I go with in Houston; or better, I could imagine someone like Nichelle Prince having a helluva game, but if the Dash will win, I guess It'll be on Daly's shoulders or on no-one else's)

17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    CRS 1, Houston 1, Houston wins on penalties (OK, I'm going with my heart not my head.)

Daly as VP for this match and for the tournament.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With another strong performance from correctly predicting both wins and the right goal differentials, 59Amerinorsk takes the lead. Shoutout also to smallchief for a 10 point performance as well:

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.06.48 PM.png

So, I've also tallied the ladder predictions, but because several did not do them, I propose a winner for the tournament predictions, like our regular season winner, and then our tournament predictions+ladder predictions winner, like a pre-season, plus regular season, plus post-season winner. Although the points are not final yet, as Blissett could still get 2 more points, I think STT deserves some kudos for pretty much crushing us on the ladder predictions, beating the next closest competitor smallchief by 11 points:

The ladder prediction tallies (please, of course, let me know if there are changes/mistakes or if I missed seeing your ladder):
    Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.12.58 PM.png

And so the ladder predictions plus tournament predictions tally total SO FAR (without the final results obviously):
    Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.20.01 PM.png

19. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Let's go with Savannah McCaskill as game MVP! :cool:

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kudos to @lil_one for the excellent job :notworthy:

Now that I am too much behind in the fight for the title, I definitely root for @59Amerinorsk to win the whole thing!!! :ninja::alien::cool:

CoachJon and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I likewise will go with McCaskill. I guess at least 2 of us really like the way she plays.

22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think Houston will get it.

23. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    :cool: I was gonna go for Watt possibly - she is overdue to have a goal scoring breakout performance plus she will be playing her former team!

24. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    :speechless:I am blushing!:notworthy:

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was to go with my head here, I think Houston actually has the edge (I know traditionally Houston would be the underdog here, but in this tournament, I think they've actually been better), but I'm going with heart and saying Chicago finally wins it.

CHI 2-1 HOU

I'll also go with Watt as finally having a breakout game in this tournament with a goal or two and getting MVP honors.