News: 2020 Season On Hold

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beakmon FC, Mar 12, 2020.

1. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Actual soccer news to discuss?! I'm excited. Let's go G's.

hav77 repped this.
  2. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Wrinkles in the fabric of MLS return to action at tournament in Orlando have appeared. :)-<)

"An MLS summer tournament without some big stars?

Reports indicate some star players will be able to opt out of MLS’s tournament if they have legitimate concerns around COVID-19, such as a significant other who is pregnant.

Both LAFC’s Carlos Vela and the LA Galaxy’s Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez fall into that category, and it’s a good bet neither will be there. Vela was the league’s MVP and top scorer last year.

MLS players are required to play in the tournament in Orlando, Garber said, but he added there will be exceptions for special circumstances without outlining what they are.

Depending on what those exceptions are, other star players may also not be in Orlando. MLS can’t possibly make a compelling case when its best players aren’t there. "

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I would watch my mailman play for the LA Galaxy.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he did play for the Galaxy in 2017. So he probably still has his uniform and is good to go....

5. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    The Katais are in the news.

"LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The LA Galaxy will meet with new Serbian winger Aleksandar Katai on Thursday to discuss a series of alarming social media posts by his wife.

Tea Katai made the since-deleted posts on her Instagram story this week, the Galaxy confirmed Wednesday night in a statement that called the posts ''racist and violent.''

The team says its meeting with Katai, who has appeared in only two games for the Galaxy, will ''determine next steps.''

Tea Katai's posts included a profane call, written in Serbian, to ''kill'' protesters. Another called protesters ''disgusting cattle,'' also in Serbian.

''The LA Galaxy strongly condemned the social posts and requested their immediate removal,'' the team's statement read. ''The LA Galaxy stands firmly against racism of any kind, including that which suggests violence or seeks to demean the efforts of those in pursuit of racial equality. The LA Galaxy stand with communities of color, and especially the Black community, in the protests and fight against systemic racism, social inequality, bigotry and violence.''

Aleksandar Katai disavowed his wife's posts in a statement on his own Instagram account Wednesday night.

''These views are not ones that I share and are not tolerated in my family,'' he wrote. ''I strongly condemn white supremacy, racism and violence towards people of color. Black lives matter. This is a mistake from my family and I take full responsibility. I will ensure that my family and I take the necessary actions to learn, understand, listen and support the black community."

ShortyMac, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  6. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Damn, I think Galaxy went too far. It wasn't Aleksandar that said it and he apologized for the wife.

"The LA Galaxy confirmed on Friday that the club has parted ways with Aleksandar Katai in the aftermath of his wife's "racist and violent" posts on Instagram.

Katai's wife Tea took to social media earlier this week to post a series of now-deleted Instagram stories in the wake of ongoing protests in the U.S. in response to the death of George Floyd.

Protests have occurred in all 50 states, as well as a number of countries all over the world, with demonstrators calling for an end to racial inequality and police brutality.

In response to those demonstrations, Tea Katai posted in her native Serbian with stories calling for the killing of protestors, who she referred to as "disgusting cattle", according to the Associated Press.

The Galaxy put out a statement soon after, condemning Tea Katai's comments while reiterating that the club "stands firmly against racism of any kind, including that which suggests violence or seeks to demean the efforts of those in pursuit of racial equality".

Katai, meanwhile, condemned his wife's posts in his own Instagram post on Wednesday, saying that "these views are not ones that I share and are not tolerated in my family" while saying that he would take full responsibility for his wife's actions.

The club also stated that team would hold a meeting with Katai to discuss that incident, with the club announcing on Friday that the two sides have agreed to part ways.

"The LA Galaxy have mutually agreed to part ways with midfielder Aleksandar Katai," read the entirety of the club's statement on Katai's departure.

Katai joined the Galaxy in September after spending two seasons in MLS as a member of the Chicago Fire."

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  7. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one player can opt out, any other player can opt out citing similar reasons.
    Tourney w/o spectators and w/o stars.

8. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some Orlando's tourney details emerged:

"MLS will take approximately 1,200 people to Orlando — a traveling party of about 45 from each team — from late-June to early August. Details are expected to be announced later this week. They would play a made-for-TV World Cup-style tournament with three group games and a 16-team knockout round. Standings from that event would be applied to the regular-season standings with hopes that teams can return to play in home markets in late-August.
    MLS teams and officials will be sequestered at a resort on Disney property. Among the more upscale options near the sports complex are the Four Seasons, Waldorf Astoria, and the Swan and Dolphin Resort, which all offer privacy, spas, pools, and convention-style meeting rooms.
    Disney owns 18 resort-style hotels in the area, as well as four golf courses, so the leagues can make sure players are isolated from the public."

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mls/inter-miami/article243370581.html

JPAR, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  9. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a World Cup style tourney with money and possible CCL berth to the winners. Also interesting that the 3 group games will count towards the regular season, if it continues in late August after the tournament. I like that they are trying to make the best of a bad situation and I really hope this works. I could use some sports in my life right now... :)

hav77 and JPAR repped this.
  11. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hav77 repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    EPL restarts next week! Yay real footie! :)

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-is-back-tournament

• All 26 MLS clubs participating; all matches in Orlando
    • Group stage followed by knockout rounds
    • Group stage counts toward regular season
    • Winner earns 2021 Concacaf Champions League spot
    • Pre-tournament draw to assign groups
    • Regular season continues after tournament
    6 Groups. Three west groups and two east group with 4 teams per group and then one east group with 6 teams each. 3 group round games and top 2 from each group plus 4 best 3rd place teams advance to round of 16.

We find out what group we are in tomorrow. The #1 seeds in the West Groups are Seattle, LAFC and RSL. The top seeds in the East Groups are Orlando (as host team), Atlanta and Toronto. Tournament runs July 8 to August 11 and all games will be televised.

hav77 repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the winner is NOT an MLS Cup champion? Interesting.

Um...who's on our team again?

TrickHog repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plan is they are going to resume the regular season in late August and still have the 2020 MLS Cup playoffs.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’d put $5 on that not happening and the "not" MLS Cup Champion will be retroactively crowned this season’s champion.

TrickHog repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself. LA GALAXY SOCCER IS BACK, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It just feels like such a relief after a hard three months. It's kinda gross how much I'm looking forward to this. Like the world cup I'll probably watch other matches too.

Draw tomorrow, I'll be online.

Something for stress relief.

Looking forward to talking to you guys tomorrow.

TOAzer and TrickHog repped this.
  18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a question and didn't know where to put it so I'll try right here:

My question is about season tickets. We are up to purchase our season tickets tomorrow (for Austin FC) and we are wondering how the COVID thing works in all this. For those of you who have Galaxy season tickets, once the regular season restarts in August (1) are fans going to be allowed in? and (2) if no fans are allowed, do season ticket holders get some kind of refund? Just curious how it works for y'all seasoned season ticket holders. Haha.

Any help would be appreciated.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind - I got the answer.