News: 2020 Season On Hold

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beakmon FC, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks.

So it's not that the percentage of people of that age who are infected is 54% it's that the percentage of infected people who are that age is 54%.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/california/demographic-statistics-237

That group makes up about 75% of the California population and likely the part who are not self-isolating. In some sense, we need to get that number higher since ideally the most vulnerable should not be getting exposed at all.

Here is Santa Monica, people are out and about. Since I can't bike on the beach path anymore, I've been biking on city streets and there's been a noticeable increase in traffic. Being in your car is fine (and you don't need to wear a mask when you drive :rolleyes: ) but they're going somewhere, and I've seen some good size crowds outside.

2. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    It's interesting to listen to your minds and think about it later as the joke goes. All very good points pro or con. MLS is going to open no matter what we think. It's going to happen.

I laughed (nervous kind) when people suggest that this will mean the end or the beginning of the end for MLS as lack of revenue starts taking it's toll on smaller clubs and metastasizes to the rest of the league. I refuse to believe it but it could happen. Jeezus! the Thunderbirds just buzzed a local hospital. Startled the bejeezers out of me.

Ok, so where was I, oh yeah. So that is what my main concern is, the length of time that MLS can survive relatively unscathed from this pandemic situation. No money, no honey. I still remember back in the day when there was no major soccer in the land. Nothing to follow except by cable or by magazine in some far away land. Maybe the occasional international game here and there or some qualifiers for the WC. I'd hate to go back to that.

The loss of one entire season we might get by but you have to think that the financial hole it initially creates coupled with long lasting changes in attendance protocols affecting revenue could really be the beginning of the end.

Mind that no matter what MLS does to help thwart the spread of the virus, the rest of society will not be as careful as people try to get back what they have lost and simply survive. MLS is just blip in the greater scheme of this pandemic. We should be careful but let's not toss the baby out with the bathwater. Anyway, that's my two cents. Now let me go check for loose fillings, those planes made the whole house shake!

hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the business model of old would sustain the league's small teams if push came to shove. I mean,...that is of course if the current deals still spread the wealth to a certain instinct.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  4. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    On the good news side of all things MLS there's this:

"Major League Soccer and US Youth Soccer, the largest youth sports organization in the country, announced the creation of a groundbreaking strategic partnership aimed at supporting and engaging individual soccer players and communities throughout the United States.

The news comes amid an ongoing transformation of the youth soccer landscape in the United States, which has also seen the creation of an elite youth development platform featuring 95 of the top academy clubs in North America.

MLS and US Youth Soccer, with its more than 3 million boys and girls soccer players, will collaborate on:

• enhancements in player identification and monitoring
    • coaching and scouting education for parents, coaches and volunteers
    • regional competitions
    • fan engagement
    The partnership will clear a pathway for boys and girls to be seen and scouted, regardless of location or financial resources with MLS absorbing all expenses for players attending and participating in the regional competitions at select age levels.

“We are very proud that USYS and its 55 member state associations have decided to make MLS their league of choice,” said Gordon Bengtson, MLS senior director of player development. "The state associations are crucial partners in creating more meaningful connections to the professional levels while supporting the overall growth of the game. This is particularly important in communities that have not historically had access to elite development environments or professional pathways. This is a first step towards our goal of making the size and diversity of our country, our biggest strength."

Berks, hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Very important preface: Don't kill the messenger.

I've realized I've been in denial. I've been arguing "it will very difficult to have a sports season this year." But I think I was wrong. When I pull my head out of the sand I realize it's simply not going to happen.

My trigger was an article I read today in my local paper discussing the resumption of training by our local pro women's team:

"The NC Courage started individual workouts Monday, kicking balls around and taking shots, as mundane an activity as possible and yet still like the first green shoots poking through the spring frost. At this point, any sign of sports is a step toward their full return, as far away as that may yet be.
    The article continues by making the points I've been making in the last week:

So far, all of the plans for the resumption of professional sports presume a sort of coronavirus bubble, a combination of testing and quarantine designed to build an epidemiological wall. Whether it’s a plan as far along as NASCAR’s or the PGA Tour’s or as hazy as the rough proposals under consideration in the NBA or NHL, the ability to isolate and test is fundamental.

Even that’s a little more complicated than it sounds, because it extends beyond players and coaches and officials and staff to people only peripherally involved with the playing of the games, whether that’s the arena employees keeping the lights on or the bus drivers shuttling players between arena and sequestered hotel or caterers and housekeepers. The biodome bubble gets very big, very fast — and still includes large numbers of at-risk people, whether because of age or preexisting conditions.

But there’s a way to plan for all of that, if you have the time and the space and the money. The PGA Tour has decided who is allowed on campus, so to speak, and will charter planes to move those golfers and caddies and coaches from site to site. It plans to conduct about 400 tests a week via a private lab in Texas.

The plan no one really has yet, is what happens when there is a positive test. Or worse, if one positive test becomes a dozen. The PGA Tour plans to quarantine any single player or other individual that tests positive. But that’s easy in an individual sport. What does the NBA do if LeBron James or Steph Curry tests positive? What does NASCAR do if an entire pit crew tests positive?
    These are all questions without answers so far, and the stakes are high. Getting started and then having to shut down again would be disastrous. [emphasis mine]
    And that last sentence segues smoothly into the next one:

In Germany, where the soccer league resumed Saturday, one second-division team forfeited its first game because of two positive tests
    They didn't make it through a single game before a team was shut down. No surprise - in team sports all the other players, coaches, trainers, often even front office staff regularly interact and so will be on each others contact tracing list. So if just 1 of those 25-100 people (depending on sport) tests positive they all are off to quarantine! Players won't be able to practice and even individual training will be difficult again since the training facilities will be off limits for the duration of the quarantine. And that won't just affect one game, the team will miss all the games on their schedule for the next two or three weeks. In the NBA a strength coach testing positive would mean 10-12 games forfeited or rescheduled.

Hell, its almost inevitable that some teams won't even make it through pre-season training camp before the first case pops up.

Individual sports is a different story. I could see this working for golf, tennis or maybe NASCAR (where they probably will hide + results if possible).

But for team sports like NBA or NFL or MLS the only way I see to have a season is for the league to rent a private island (like MLS could afford that!). All personnel quarantined and tested for two weeks before going onto the island. Once you are in, you can't visit mainland until season is over.

Can you imagine NFL island?? It will be like Survivor on steroids!

Again I'm just the messenger. I want sports back as badly as the rest of you!

The full article: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242765321.html

MPNumber9, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    More thinking aloud, I came up with a way it might have a chance to work:

The league doesn't quarantine the personnel exposed to the new case. The rationale (and in the NFL there is enough $$ at stake that all possible rationales will be fair game) would be this:

Mr. Johnson tested positive yesterday for Covid-19. Following medical advice we have quarantined Mr Johnson for two weeks. Everyone who came in contact with Mr. Johnson will get both viral and antibody tests daily, along with (say) vitals checks every 4 hours. Our (hired) medical personnel have certified this protocol. Of course the safety of our player and staff is our number one goal. We don't even think about money.

So the game will go on as planned with only Mr. Johnson sitting out. Thank you. Season tickets can be bought at www.giveusthemoney.com.

7. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #307 The Beautiful Gamer, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Kill ya!! LOL!! Noo. As much as we all argue over whose to blame when this team wins or loses, I'm fairly confident that we have all been on Big Soccer long enough to know how to handle having differences of opinions without feeling like we are ready to go for blood.
    (At least I hope so) :)

That being said, I'd tell the author of the article that set you off the following,...There is no way you are going to get a close of both the economy and quarantine a second time without major civil unrest. And if a full fledged reopen of both is denied for an additional month, it will absolutely not be without major, and I mean MAJOR repercussions that would make a rise in new Covid-19 cases look like the silver lining of a Grapes of Wrath style nightmare.

As for the league and leagues in general. We will see. I am going to keep hope alive.

And now some mood music,...

8. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't be surprised if it goes down exactly like this. Seriously, I'd put money on it being dang near word for word.

9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This part scares me for our country. We (the US) have reached a point where we don't just disagree with each other - we see completely different realities. My immediate worry is about the violence and hatred that is on the rise. But my bigger fear is that the more extreme actions to "protect individual liberties" end up having the exact opposite effect. When conflict reaches a fever pitch the gov't has justification (cover) to step in and suspend individual rights to "protect the nation." Dissenters become "traitors" that have to be stopped at all costs. The opposition in the legislative and judiciary branches are replaced with sycophants (see Greece for recent example of a democracy dying in this fashion). Law gives way to tribalism. Power hungry leaders manipulate anger in a way that allows them to consolidate more power. Our history is a constant re-telling of this same story. I hope the anger and fear stirred up by this pandemic doesn't hasten our journey to becoming yet another example.

Go Galaxy?

hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #310 The Beautiful Gamer, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Amen To That!! I know I would prefer to not live through an American style version of the French Revolution with a Great Depression to boot. I remember watching Saving Private Ryan in the theater when it was 1st release. After the opening battle, I remember in my head thinking "Thank God I was not born in a time where I would have been drafter into that insanity." People never learn. Generation after generation after generation. The more things change the more they stay the same.
    Keep ya head up and Go Galaxy!!

PS: I just watched these clips and this is how we all sound to one degree or another.

El Futbolisimo and hav77 repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yes, thank you. I went back and re-read what I posted and realized it was poorly worded. I would go back and edit to clarify, but I can’t.

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, kiddos, is why, regardless of your political persuasions, you don’t elect weak leadership.

Berks, skydog and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There is a fascinating podcast series on the role of YouTube in creating extremely polarized political views and popularizing conspiracy theories, issues we are dealing with a lot during this pandemic. It follows one young man and his browser history over multiple years and shows how the YT recommendation algorithms directed his journey down the rabbit hole to extremist views.

If anyone is interested it is called Rabbit Hole. It originates from NYT but can be found on any podcast platform. I think it is six 22 minute episodes. I highly recommend the first four but suggest skipping the standalone ep 5 about kewdiepie. I don’t think Episode 6 is out yet.

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks gonna check it out!

15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Bundeslige time, oh ja! Yep, they started sans fans and it was weird as always. I have seen few of closed-door games to be familiar with that strange silence where you can clearly hear the players yelling at each other and coaches directing traffic from the sidelines.

Only saw one match but it caught my eye they were disinfecting the ball every so often, had 5 subs per side and water bottle were clearly tagged with each player's name to avoid confusion. The game had its moments but you can see the rust in everybody. It was however very nice to see the beautiful sport being played again.

16. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #316 The Beautiful Gamer, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    The boys have begun to get in shape again.

hav77, El Futbolisimo, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports are starting to come back...showing how important they are to our national (global?) psyche. Not going to comment on whether it's good or not, just looks like that's where we are going.

If that's where we end up going, I'll watch the Galaxy. :)

For those of you into numbers, I read Emily Oster's book on debunking pregnancy myths, and I'm currently into her second book. I loved it. She's analytical, not political, and does some thorough research. She's an economist that teaches at Brown and went to Harvard.

She now has a COVID website that I love, and an article/analysis on transmission among children, as well as an analysis on the Kawasaki syndrome cases. It's worth your time. It made me feel A LOT better about my kid around her grandparents and about sending her to preschool when it ultimately opens. But I get my groceries delivered and basically haven't seen anyone other than family in weeks.

I don't know if I should put a link, but if you google her, you'll find it.

I hope everyone is healthy and well.

The Cadaver, hav77, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking for anything funny at this point.... But the following is both funny and TRUE.

I need a haircut. How much do I need a haircut?
    My facial recognition software that unlocks my phone doesn't recognize me anymore.

19. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Do you now need to carry around an old photo to use?

20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I remember someone was saying they had aged so much their iphone didn't recognize them. Ouch. :(

The Cadaver, hav77, Beakmon FC and 2 others repped this.
  21. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've actually looked younger because of extra sleep and not spending as much time outdoors. I guess it's been one of the few positives of this whole ordeal.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I am the barber of the family so hair is not an issue. Years of practice on myself and the kids (some pets) have left me with skills and some amusing pictures. I did however fall into a random sleep habit that has recently combined with a new eating habit. All the mirrows are now in the process of being covered as a precaution until such time as we see or feel, fit. Be careful about that folks.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, do I appreciate hair stylists now. And nail salons. And facials.

Sigh.

And Galaxy soccer. My daughter randomly said "Go Niners" the other day reminding me I was all set to have her start watching soccer this year since she watched football. I promptly bummed myself out.

Hope you all are healthy and well.

shelbo, The Cadaver, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yep. Had a similar experience with LO really getting in to F1 over the offseason. It was really cool (only moderately interested in soccer). By the time we decided to get the F1TV archive package it was decided F1 was now terrible.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Don't look now but the Goats just lost their stadium sponsor. The Banc payed 20 mil and has booked! This could spread like a virus. Clearly the Banc does not see the benefits of their sponsorship under the current situation going forward.

"The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) won't be playing in Banc of California Stadium through 2033 after all.

The Major League Soccer club has restructured its naming-rights deal with the Orange County bank for its downtown stadium.

Under the deal, Banc of California (NYSE BANC) will continue to serve as LAFC's primary banking partner and remain a partner on other collaborations but will eventually take its name off the stadium.

The move offers the LAFC an opportunity to expand its roster of sponsors and partners over the coming years.

Banc of California signed on as the naming-rights partners for the LAFC's $350 million stadium in August 2016.

Under the 15-year deal, which commenced with the team's first season in 2018, the bank had agreed to pay the LAFC $100 million over 15 years, or about $6.7 million per year — $15 million of which has been paid so far, according to anSEC filing.

Between annual payments on that $100 million and other annual expenses of around $500,000 per year, the bank's annual pre-tax expense related to the agreements has averaged approximately $7.2 million annually.

The filing also disclosed that Banc of California agreed to pay the LAFC a $20.1 million termination fee to end the naming-rights deal, which will terminate on Dec. 31, 2020. The bank said it won't have any continuing payment obligations to the soccer club after that.

"We are extremely proud of our relationship with Banc of California and all that we have built and accomplished together," said LAFC co-owner and president Tom Penn in a statement. "We thank them for being our founding naming rights partner, helping us create something special and making Banc of California Stadium one of the best sports and entertainment experiences in Los Angeles."