2020 Season game Analysis

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by hot potato, Feb 16, 2020.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    where is the nearest regurgitation bucket ??

what do i want to see on sunday??

- how baldisimo plays- can he replicate another good performance from MF ??
    - the next is- can theo bair do something effective to prove that he is MLS-quality with a future ?
    - will MDS play a consistent formation that doesnt confuse his players ?
    - and finally- can cava add to his 1 goal to validate his DPL salary and transfer ?

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    LADS ???!!! are you a brit ?

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Sometime during these next two matches, I would not at all be surprised to see Montero on the field in order to get him in the shop window, so to speak. Regardless of his contract re-structure, he's dead money right now, so they need to make one more effort to move him to a needy MLS team.

Bikel might get a sub appearance so he can get rolling in rhe midfield. Hasal has impressed but if he has an off performance, might we see Meredith or the even OK Falls/Penticton kid in the final Impact match? The latter is the first BC player from outside the Lower Mainland and Island to be signed to the first team and his appearance might hype up the Academy vibe here in the sticks during a Covid world.

4. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I am all for playing prospects at this point. The W's and L's are not important this year, let's be honest.

I agree Montero is dead money and I can not see any outcome where he is still with the club next year; that would be shocking.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Fredy's contract ends dec 31, 2020 - on SoccerMarkt, he is listed at over $1.5 mill- laughable- maybe 4 years ago, but he will be heading to the coffee fields of seattle- just hope his shop isnt near the thugs that have been allowed to take over DT seattle

fredy will be on the field when there are no more healthy forwards- he has had a good career, but no reasonable team in a decent league will see him as a signee

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    knowing this ownership is all about selling to get $$$$$$$$$$, max crepeau might be the goalie to move on, hopefully to a better league, maybe in euro if he wants - hasal has done well, albeit not as good at this point as max who is more assertive in the box, has better hands and gives less rebounds

if any whitecap coach is kept for 2021, it should be the goalie's coach

7. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, by this time next year we may have a CHIEF REVENUE OFFICER and all our problems will be solved.

PS - this position, if they ever actually fill it, is basically a title for a portion of Rachel Lewis's CFO job and in reality, is just someone for her to delegate stuff too. Strange they would even think this was something important enough to announce with splash. I guess they think it will give the impression Axel is moving and shaking and building a better club. Do people still fall for the Caps nonsense?

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Okay, that wasn't so good. Now we need you to at least tie the game on Wednesday. That's all - just a tie.

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    In all seriousness, a tie is unlikely for this bunch. I had major issues with Carl, but FFS I think MDS did a lot worse in terms of player signings and coaching. And dear Axel has been here almost a year and can anyone identify an improvement? Best he can offer up this fall is announcing they will be hiring two front office assistants for Rachel?

I tell ya, this has to be intentional as i have said before.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carl got slogged for overusing an agent. Some of those signings were not good but there were some decent ones. It is a big world and you need to have some contacts to sort through the wheat from the chaff in the world of soccer talent that is willing to come to Vancouver. For me, MDS seemed kind of naive from day 1 both in signings and how the team plays. They have done well with GK, so give credit where is due.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

its because it takes extra personnel to cancel all the lost STHs!!

somehow in the owners and FO soccer fairyland, they think this will turn the franchise around and show they are serious about making this is a Club to be proud of

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    gotta get crepeau back between the pipes- better hands, less rebounds, controls the box better- 1 day in 2-3 years, hasal will be good enough to be a starter in MLS... just not now (PS the goalies' coach is the best on the staff)

lets see how MDS' signings for 2020 have turned out:
    - dajome- no upgrade from bangoura and venuto
    - owusu- less impacting then either teibert or baldisimo
    - cava- disappointing so far with only 1 goal in 7-8 games (even jake has more!!!!!)
    - bikel hasnt even played 1 minute
    - khimiri- injury-prone
    - gutierrez- a whitecap special.. a free agent- joe average
    - milinkovic- some trickery but slow-footed for an outside player
    - veselinovic- another andy rose- physically strong but slow-footed and easy to
    blow by

MDS record for 2019-2020 has been downright POOR

2021 will be another- or should be- turnover of 8-10 players

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    OOPS- i just realize that bikel did play in 1 game this year

14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Oh I know, and dont forget all the ones he got in 2019 that had to be shipped out. Yikes.

I really like him, but he has been a D at best here in Vancouver. Replacing him will not change the Caps over all issues (thats on the owner), but by any reasonable metric of job performance, he should not be retained for next season.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    sadly to say, U R RIGHT - i still see a disfunctional, erratic-playing team with little MLS- skill, at the MF in particular

i would say over his 2 years, MDS has missed on 19 signings- i dont know how a coach with his pedigree would make soooooooo many mistakes - when i watched the majority of the signings, i knew that most were poor MLS-quality players

16. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Talk about upping your game your game for a new contract. That was Montero's best performance ever in his second stint with the club. I could qibble about it within the context of the match itself, but he instantly created cachet for other suitors, if nothing else.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    fredy's contract ends dec 31- is he worth- and does he want- another 1 year contract ?? he was special last game- MDS should press him into the starting rotation for the next 3-4 games to get a true answer

(cava has only 1 goal in 8 games and fredy has 2 goals and 1 assist in 1 game)

you gotta start fredy tonite- its not rocket science

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    beating RSL was a TEAM effort- they showed resilience and most of all, UNITY

the best thing in the game-- the scintillating 70 meter pass baldisimo made to montero who then centered the ball into the goal area for cava to score the winner- and the utter joy all whitecap players expressed - it showed a TEAM forming

its fredy with 2 G, 3 A in 2 games - and here i thought he was finished - time to eat a little crow

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They worked hard throughout the match and ground it out to get the three points.

Montero's play is nothing like it was last season. Perhaps the bond with Cavallini has provided the motivation to stick around for another season.

That pass by Baldi redeemed a pretty dodgy sub appearance to that point, including a terrible giveaway on the edge of the box.

Gotts give props to RSL for stepping it up after the first goal: you wouldn't have known they were a man short except for a couple of chances, one of which was clinically dispatched for the winner.

As much as Milinkovic and Dajome have their weaknesses they also work incredibly hard. I prefer them starting ahead of Bair, frankly, who I thought had a weak match last game.

I'm going to give props to the much maligned Teibert! He did a good job of keeping the possession safe when it was needed, especially working it out of the back.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    teibert should be in the 18 line-up, just not as a starter if the Caps really want to compete
    and hasal needs to work on strengthening his fingers in box crosses- i always hold my breath when he comes out to take 1 in the air

21. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The irony is that his bobble resulted in RSL having a man sent off.

I think the team defends better with Guti in there sealing off through balls than with Adnan doing his own thing. The Iraqi also looks like a square peg in a round hole as winger/flank midfielder.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i think we agree that ali adnan will not be around come 2021- he blows hot and cold from 1 game to the next- there has to be some market value from some league- its time to cash in on him

if montero keeps on surprising everyone (2G, 3 A in 2 games !!! ), then i think a 1 year contract has to be offered- do the caps have an option clause ?

and seeing milink as our #10 brings mixed views, but he is better in that role than as an outside MF/Winger-- and he really wants to stay in vancouver- it might be worthwhile to purchase him from Hull

we still need 4-5 upgrades for 2021 and with some money in the pot, we can venture that a mildly significant MF will be coming in; owusu, to me, doesnt seem to be the right fit, nor does Khimiri , but he has a guaranteed 2 years left on his contract

crepeau has to be our #1 goalie- sure hands, dominant in the box, few rebounds

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Khimiri is an absolute bust. MDS's version of Jarju.

24. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Worst.
    Game.
    Ever.

25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Marc's body of work here is worse than Carls

Its time to move on so Axel can show us what he can do on his own. Get his own coach in and show us something.

There is no reason to continue on this current path.