2020 Season Catch All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilson is still on roster, the FL tourney game against RSL- so not free from being jabbed in my book.

Given this crazy season, for me, it's just additional preseason for 2021. The FO still have some holes/ fixes they need to fill/ make before next season.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilson has been a solid MLS level defender who's overpaid this season.

I guarantee you every single season we can pick out a game or two that the team did lousy in. That happens in a 34 (or 18) game season.

They qualified for the playoffs easily, they could finish as high as 5th, they did it while dealing with multiple start/stops this season including one nobody else had to suffer through. They had two bad losses (the two FSL games) all season. They also had 3 impressive wins (both games this week and the other FSL game).

At this point they're a solid upper mid-table MLS team, and they're doing it with a roster that's incredibly young. This is probably the best place the Rapids roster has been at the end of the season maybe ever. 2010 and 2016 were good years but neither roster was built for ongoing success.

God knows I've been brutal on the Rapids FO over the years but I have to give credit where credit is due. They got the job done on the field this season.

AlbertCamus, Andy126, SccrDon and 3 others repped this.
  3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of note, at this time the Rapids would qualify for the playoffs based on points. Considering the 4-5 games in hand on teams lower in the table, that says something.

I'm not sure if that something is that the Rapids are good, or the other 4 teams are that bad, but it's probably a mixture of both.

AlbertCamus, Andy126, Sports Yak and 2 others repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1324518105071132672 is not a valid tweet id

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The playoffs start after the international break? Found an ESPN article saying the first round games will start Fri Nov 20...so the Rapids will be playing sometime that weekend?

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The top three scorers are all under 24.

Andy126 repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we really mattered they would stop this none sense battle with Broadcast providers that they will never win and let us see team on TV.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both sides need to back down to find a workable solution.

Andy126 repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gonna happen. Cord-cutting has put all the cable/satellite companies in a pretty desperate situation. They simply don't have the money anymore to pay regional broadcasters. Here's a quote from Fortune in February about the situation. I'm sure that now it's even worse as Covid-19 continues to expand.

"The coronavirus outbreak is accelerating the trend of people dropping their cable and satellite TV subscriptions. More than 1.6 million subscribers to five of the largest pay TV companies cut service in the first quarter, a 70% jump from a year earlier.

Comcast, the largest cable provider, lost 409,000 customers by itself, more than it lost in all of 2018 and over half its total cord cutting loss last year. Charter Communications, Verizon, and Altice USA, also among the largest cable TV providers, lost another 200,000 subscribers in the quarter. And AT&T, which is predominantly a satellite TV provider, lost over 1 million customers."

Edit: But yeah, I agree the situation sucks. the Rapids finally get a young dynamic team worth watching, and now we can't see it.

AlbertCamus, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But where Comcast needs to back down isn't in how much they pay. That's where KSE needs to back down. Comcast needs to back down with their demand that Altitude get put on a higher tier. Its clearly an attempt to minimize Altitude's impact on other sports channels that Comcast has interest in and its a dumb plan to put the station that carries 3 of the 5 major teams in town on a higher tier where fans won't find them.

From almost Day 1 the solution to this has been obvious. Altitude takes less money, like every other single channel is being forced to do, but Comcast keeps them on the same tier. But both sides have to compromise, which means both sides are to blame for this year+ long situation.

12. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jasonma, you and I can only see this situation from the outside. We don't know what the exact offers have been from either side. But I would expect that Comcast holds the better cards. There's a lot more viewers for national sports games on ESPN, Fox, etc than there are for the local teams on Altitude. There's not a lot of pressure on Comcast to compromise. And of course Altitude doesn't want to be in a pay-to-view situation because they know they don't have the pull to make money with it.

As it stands now, the three Altitude teams stand to get hurt more since they are all currently competitive and winning games. This is the prime time, when the teams can create interest and build a fanbase. But unfortunately, all three are pretty much playing in a TV vacuum. If KSE was smart, they would be willing to take a lot less money to get eyeballs on their clubs while they're in good form. Maybe it would get the Rapids out of the rut of being that soccer team that hardly anybody cares about out in Commerce City.

It's a strange time. We've got a very interesting Rapids team, probably the best and most competitive in their history. I haven't been a season ticket holder for years, but I would happily pay to attend games now. I would love to sit in the stands and focus on Basset and Vines. But I can't even see them on TV. And that really sucks because they'll both be gone to Europe next year.

AlbertCamus, Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Cole (aka Goal) Bassett getting some high praise and raising some eyebrows!

Based on what Jack said here I don’t think it’ll go to his head, but I certainly hope he keeps working and grinding!

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Too bad for us Bassett has had his breakout season in a year without fans.

I want him to remember us fondly when he moves on.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa, AlbertCamus and 2 others repped this.
  15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Just saw there was a second big win this week for Philadelphia. This one for Supporters' Shield.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring on Minnesota (again)

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the team tiebreaker for Golden Boot is. Both Lewis and Bassett finish with 5 goals. If its assists Bassett had 4 (tied for 2nd on the team) and Lewis had 0. But if its minutes played Lewis scored his 5 in notably less time than Bassett.

18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I find it interesting the way the final standings finished up. After the MLS decided to do a PPG qualification for the playoffs there was a lot of pushback and complaints from the “regulars” sho live on Facebook etc...and it seemed like a lot of the hate was directed towards the Rapids.

Well they can all go suck on a lemon. Because not a single team that qualified for the playoffs on PPG would not have made it with a traditional total points approach. The seeding would have been different, but there is no team on the outside of the playoffs on a PPG basis that would’ve made it in on an overall points basis.

Oh. By the way. I would just like to repeat...

THE RAPIDS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

WE JUST WON 3 STRAIGHT!!!

Cmon you ‘Pids.

unkiemark repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally the only thing the PPG decision did was move the Rapids from 8th to 5th. Otherwise everything finishes exactly the way it did if points are used.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus and Rod1916 repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    And to add to this thought, they didn't back their way into the playoffs by depending on other teams losing or drawing. They just started winning at the right moment. And two of those wins were against teams that were/are ahead of them in the standings.

Also, of the five matches they've played since their most recent restart four were on the road.

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the team playing well, I'm really looking forward to the playoffs. I think we can make some noise.

Rod1916 repped this.
  23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    From our living rooms?

SccrDon repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better bring the thermals and orange ball for this one

Break makes zero sense, I thought USMNT didn't include a single USA player (Covid banned from Europe).