2020 Season Catch All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29 and 30, obviously

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wasn't Torres the club's first DP? GIven the undistinguished group, I'd probably nominate him just for that. At least he had some success somewhere professionally and came in with expectations. He had some moments, showed some skills. Wrong teams for a guy like that to be on though. A forward's main job was to press and chase down long balls.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Stuart95, m vann, COMtnGuy and 1 other person repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #579 JasonMa, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    m vann, Stuart95 and Centennial repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, Totoro and 22SteveD repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Colorado's infections are up slightly but still pretty low. If the Rapids are allowed to open the stadium at some point, how do you think they might do it?

I was curious what USL has been doing, the Monarchs had this page up.

No seats in the 1st two seats of an aisle...that would probably knock out a fair amount of season tickets.

I don't see anything about spacing the seating though they must have done that. Maybe there were no reserved seats?

Do the Monarchs always play at Rio Tinto? That's a lot of seats for a USL team.

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Dammit.

WRong thread. That was for going down 0-2.

Sports Yak repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  10. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maynor Figueroa! He was famous, sort of. If you tuned in to see an EPL giant crush one of the mid/low table teams, you might have seen Figueroa on the losing side.

And Steward Ceus...he had some misadventures in goalkeeping that were overshadowed by Sheriff Nasco.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

22SteveD, AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    This is crazy. Honestly.

After the non review of what looked to be a handball in the PHI vs ORL game yesterday (video clip and player comments):
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...-questions-calls-late-handball-appeal-orlando

No VAR for a PK look - and boy does that look a lot more like an outstretched game in an unnatural position than Rubios “handball”.

Then tonight, Franco Escobar (already on a yellow) gets in a shouting match with the ref after shoving a Columbus player in tonight’s ATL vs CLB game. He literally was in the refs face screaming at him.

1285747199175868417 is not a valid tweet id

I watched that incident live, but couldn’t find a clip of it to post - so here’s another twitter users observation of it as well... This was not the only time he was shouting at the ref during this game either...

And then tonight, you get THIS?? It...Gets a yellow???

That didn’t even go to VAR.

After watching that, how can you not feel hard done by the refs. And when you read that article about how we lead the league in cards to fouls ratio...then you see how the refs - and VAR - are handling other games...

Makes you wonder why we get a harsher treatment than the rest of the league. We seriously can’t be that much worse when it comes to foul play. Seriously.

Centennial repped this.
  18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The rapids have a well-earned reputation for being thugs and abusing refs. Not really this team specifically, but we are rarely going to get the benefit of the doubt. I think it would take years of effort to get this perspective changed. It is just really hard to overcome and start getting the same leeway other teams enjoy. A shame, really.

19. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    While I agree wholeheartedly that we’ve earned our reputation, so have SKC and Felipe.
    Felipe comes flying in like that, late, studs stomping into that player, with no intent to play the ball - yellow and no VAR.

Escobar, already on yellow - shoves a player after the play is dead, then proceeds to get in the refs face and starts screaming for the next 30 seconds. Nothing. Jack price says one sentence - straight red.

That’s a bit beyond reputation in my book. That’s just poor inconsistency. Fouls should be fouls, cards should be cards. Regardless of who does them.

20. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you fill a roster every year with relatively low-skill players, and also hire coaches that can't instill any real discipline in the team, thats the result you get.

21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree it is inconsistency and harsh. Particularly after watching the FSL-SKC game this morning. I could have seen us get a Red for the action MacMath did (taking out the forward) while he didn't even get a look from the ref. Different ref, different game, but it does get frustrating.

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am guessing if MLS hasn't added any fines/ suspensions to Rapids by game, that they are admitting the reffing was very poor

22SteveD repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1286114303922167808 is not a valid tweet id

24. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So....5 games into the season (such as it is) and the Rapids are 2-1-2 for 7 points. To me, it's 3 OK-to-pretty-good performances, 1 awful one, and the KC match was too weird to rate.

We are a better watch than previous seasons. Even in 2016 when we had some success we were tough on the eyes. We're good attacking, especially in the open field, but not so good defensively. I think that's mostly due to our midfielders all being better going forward than defending.

If there is a season this year, I think we'll continue to be a ~.500 team and be in the fight for a playoff spot.

Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is simply not good enough for what we were told the organization was aiming for during the rebuild to this season. We should be a solid above average team and an easy playoff team at minimum.