News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    You understand the difference between your task force and having a panel come in and talk, right? For example, beyond Birx and Fauci most of Trump's "task force" was people like Jared and his college roommate. If that's the "cabinet" I don't care who they bring in to talk one day. It doesn't fix who the key advisors are.

Atlas confuses a science degree with subject matter expertise. Atlas is a radiologist, not an expert in viruses. Now, the viral experts and epidemiologists on the Barrington group have subject matter expertise, but it says something about deSantis to put them on a stage with a demagogue generalist talking out of his hat.

To be clear, having Atlas in the same room with them is like having one of the rent-a-BS scientists around to act like the whole meteorology community is wrong about climate change. It is a political act to carve out conservative space. It does not reflect what the expert community believes. The viral expert community after Sweden and Manaus thinks herd immunity theories are for idiots.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I guess you didn't hear about some of the FL covid scandals like letting people in nice zip codes skip ahead on vaccines.

FL has 2m cases and 30k dead which is more than most countries. His cases are close to Mexico or Iran, both of whom have done horribly. His deaths are equivalent to the whole Ukraine or Turkey which have much bigger populations. Only silly political sorts find that some sort of success. His appeal to the right is apparently he follows their program loudly.

I judge by results. He sucks as bad as Cuomo.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    If he says it on the internet it must be true.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are just a forever Doomer loser, like the Iran counts are accurate!!!

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Do some basic photo analysis and note the thing dangling off his ear. If we have to go beyond he had a mask on and briefly had it off, he's probably vaccinated at which point we get into the Rand Paul question of does he need one at that point. Personally I would say yes as long as numbers are high and vaccines are not 100% perfect.

Y'all are all over the map on everything. It's unnecessary because vaccine (or whatever). Oooooo he's not wearing one. Since you don't believe in it it's basically concern trolling.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I could take the bait and debate Iranian covid counts like a moron but being the equivalent of big countries' official counts suffices. He's pretending he's done well. Being near the official counts of countries three times your size is pretty well sucking, even if the counts abroad are somewhat fudged. Which is speculation.

Personally I think the "counts" discussion is lame. Ask an epidemiologist, even our numbers are undercounts. But they are what we have and at a point acting like no numbers you dislike are good is science denial. Particularly when deSantis has a death count of 30k -- and there is no fudging "dead" -- it's pretty lame.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Your WHO/Johns Hopkins thing has basically been proven wrong. The countries with travel restrictions and enforced quarantines are the ones coming out ahead eg Taiwan Oz NZ. WHO has done poorly on this so I am not holding them up as the gold standard. FWIW his proposed "balancing" is the kind of compromised solution we did which didn't work. This thing responds to absolutes. No one in the country unless they serve 14 days. No one with the virus out of their house. Everyone in contact with infected under lock and key quarantine. This sort of lackidaisical crap is how you get China taking their sweet time letting everyone know -- because business, because Lunar New Year -- and the US sitting on their policy butt. He's basically refuted by the year we just lived. But by all means let's revive naive abstracted 2019 papers after experiencing the real thing.

Most of the governors pretending their policies worked did well by the funeral industry.

FWIW your guy says as of 2019 masks haven't been studied. In science that means open question not you're wrong. There have then been abundant studies this year. Duh. So we go back to 2019 levels of ignorance to judge things? Does this make sense?

9. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Why exactly should the Iran counts be doubted?

10. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    “This is the fault of the elites! Believe me as the most powerful government official in one of the biggest states in the US!”

*rey* repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Italy has a population skewed older, and a lot of multigenerational living under one roof. Your guy touches on then glosses over wearing masks at home. Most people are not. I am not. I trust my wife. However for covid purposes this is a risk. You are trusting other family not to take stupid risks. And the larger your family at home the greater the risk. I have seen interesting stuff arguing about residents per house and covid figures.

Cause lockdowns do not stop it ping ponging around a house once you have community spread. To be truly effective a lockdown needs to take place much earlier where there is little virus to spread around stay at home residents.

Anyhow, Italy is like NY. A lot of people in urban areas on top of each other. There is not a lot of suburban separation.

Who then due to cost of living go home to family homes with dad and granddad. You can mask up and try and take measures but that is worst case for community spread.

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i laughed out loud when I read that tweet. DeSantis is an elite. only the idiot wing of the Republican Party would be that DeSantis and Abbott are just like “them”.

btw, I would say the same thing if Cuomo or Nelson tried to pass themselves off as the 99%.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    We live in conspiracy land where the desired argument matters more than figuring out the facts. They don't like the comparison that makes them look bad. Looks bad = must be suspect. Create a cloud of muddy water and swim away. But I saw the freaking fish, Westie.

I think he's forgotten the FL lady under indictment for saying FL was undercounting. Same thing Cuomo did. He's pretending lousy FL numbers are pure as driven snow but Iran is untrustworthy. Reality is in a messy world these are the numbers we have to work with -- unless he can do better -- and they are bad for FL. He can't admit that so we nihilistically can't trust anything. Except maybe what deSantis said. Politicians never lie.

I mean, when did we get to the point used car salesmen are trusted factual souces?

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    deSantis is Yale BA Harvard law. Went from there to be a military and federal government lawyer. Then into elected office. Has never had a real public sector job, Not unlike Ted who barely ever left the government after the Ivy League. Maybe he should grow a beard and hunt like Cruz if he's going to pretend he's an outsider redneck.

Honestly with the accumulation of idiots like them and Hawley I wonder WTF is going on in the Ivies.

*rey* and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  15. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    G R I F T I N G

business is booming

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Let's also be real here, I've seen studies on SARS which basically concluded the N95 was the gold standard and lesser results were achieved with lesser masks. But also that you didn't want to be rolling naked with nothing, duh. So instead of arguing upwards -- like, maybe we should be DPAing and mass producing 3M N95s you still cannot get that are supposed to work well -- we're going to have a lame debate about how the workarounds don't work as well ergo wear nothing. Which the SARS studies long ago found wrong. Wearing nothing is even worse.

Like I said other thread, it's a miracle more docs and nurses working with the sick are not dead. That is your missing science right there. That's people who have a non-abstract confrontation with this every day. That's who the SARS study captured. The rest of this discussion is the far more abstract discussion of whether people who may or may not be in close contact with anyone, or any sick people, in some office or whatever, should wear them.

If you actually cared you'd be asking for N95s not nihilistically suggesting nothing we ever do works at all.

Anyhow, anyone with a brain looking at people getting sick despite masks would be like "what more can I do" as opposed to "ok, I should be able to take this stupid thing off." It's like your buddy is the one in a million who gets injured by the seat belt so let's not wear seat belts anymore. The intellectual response would be can I do a better seatbelt.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just cant stand to have been wrong and wasted the last year of your life in fear. Doomer losers gonna double down and claim every red state was just "lucky"

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, the stores are already slacking off on the mask stuff, not even a week into it and there's no enforcement - oh, you'll see stories on KHOU or the Chronicle showing valiant social justice virus doomer warriors trying to enforce things at their Montrose or Post Oak cafes ("HEROES!!!") but the common man places are already moved on. The mall, Lowe's, already given it up. Costco is stricter but then they've always had door attendents as a members-only club.

You've lost the war doomerboy

19. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    He tells us what we already know and is too scared to address that DeSantis is actually and elite or that Florida’s numbers are somehow more reliable than Iran or China. LOL

20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i live in the burbs. today was a vacation day. I went to 7 stores. SEVEN. I only saw one person without a mask.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  21. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Yea for all he talks about personal responsibility and all that the least he could do is give us a general part of town where these very real and legitimate no masking stores are so that “doomers” can avoid it.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You virus doomer losers have lost so badly that all you have left is to debate if DeSantis is an "elite" (who cares? He did the best job!) and if somehow Iran's numbers are more accurate than Florida. Yeah, want do a three-way test with North Korea too? LOL

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Westside , where else? Maybe you could be a SJW at the Lowe's at Bunker Hill and save grandma from some evil unmasked!!! Go make yourself feel better - better yet, go to HEB and see how many people they kick out!!

24. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    My point was that the implication was that Iran and China were lying about their numbers to make themselves look better. So with that in mind isn’t it at least a little reasonable to consider that the state that is loudest about “We have no restrictions and everything is fine!” Might be lying too?

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are comparing two communist/totalitarian regimes to a state and a country with a liberal media WHO HAS SPENT MOST OF THE LAST YEAR PREDICTING DEATH AND DESPAIR BEYOND COMPREHENSION IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!! You think if there was any way to pin horrible numbers on DeSantis they wouldn't do it? The media would fabricate the numbers if they could and they cant even do that because its not bad.