News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I think this is one of the craziest things I've ever read. "Even have a right to say no." Dude, GTF out of here with that crap.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m waiting for @juvechelsea to just up and move to New Zealand one day

3. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    It's the age old debate I guess. Freedom vs security. I'll never understand people who believe in sacrificing freedom.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the problem - which most doomers on social media and on here can’t admit - is that the restrictions and giving up of freedoms don’t really make things any safer. Masks clearly don’t work, lockdowns don’t work, the vaccine was rushed and uncertain if it really works and what it does to your body. After almost a year, it’s pretty clear what risks Covid presents to most. but the sheep are doubling down now because they can’t bear to believe that everything they did the last year wasn’t really worth it or necessary

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I truly don't get.

One side promotes the belief that the virus has affected the US disproportionately because of the failure of people to comply with recommendations regarding masks and social distancing.

I personally haven't witnessed anyone not wearing mask appropriately or not social distancing.

As for vaccines - from what I've read vaccines have traditionally been developed very early and it is just because of bureaucracy that it took so long for approval. I would imagine that this r n a thingie is going to be the future for all vaccines.

I tend to think that whenever this crap is under control every single government will just move on. There won't be any independent commissions to review whether or not the elected officials did the most appropriate thing. Unlike the military which does a "lessons learned" review after major engagements, the civilian side is allergic to admitting mistakes.

We can all opine on what we believe the appropriate thing to do would have been. Personally I think that governments got it wrong by locking everything down and causing massive damage to economies. They knew early on that the virus primarily affected a certain segment of the population. How about approving the vaccine within weeks of it being developed and just vaccinating those folks?

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @juvechelsea - I hate to break it to you but most major large companies have no intention to mandate the emergency use authorization vaccine (yes EUA, not a fully vetted and tested vaccine) on their workforce, primarily because they know 30-50% won’t take it and they can’t fire everyone and rehire them. And they could be held liable for the results form the vaccine risks.

that the reason why the hospital won’t make all the nurses take it (beyond the nurses probably knowing the vaccine risk may be higher than the virus risk).

8. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been an precedent to this? There been plenty of anti-vacciners prior to COVID. Schools mandate that kids have to have vaccines prior to going. Has anyone successfully held a school district liable for Little Jonny getting sick after a vaccine? I'm not advocating for mandatory COVID vaccines, but your liability statement gave me pause.

From a company stand point there is no reason to mandate vaccines. If people take a job that requires them to leave their house and they choose not to get vaccinated then the company says that was their choice. I manage 38 employees that have to be at the work site to do their job. About 1/3 of them decided against getting the vaccine when offered.

*rey* repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    workers comp claims at a minimum. Most if not all vaccines to this point went thru a full FDA approval process, not an EUA. The pharmaceutical companies themselves are exempt or immune from claims. Gonna be a legal debate and probably state by state too.

your 1/3rd decline ratio is about what is to be expected. Higher in some industries. Going to be hard to force everyone to take it when it’s not 90% accepted.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    it depends. I’ve seen plenty of bad behavior. My across the street neighbor had a huge birthday party this past weekend. Easily 40-50 people.

our down the street neighbor’s teenagers have constantly had pool parties since this whole thing started. the weekend when it was warm cars were parked all the way to my house and they live 1.5 blocks away.

its that kind is bs that keeping the virus going.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure where you live but if anyone thinks that any of the people in overloaded apartments and other crappy neighborhoods are somehow at a higher level of complying with mask orders and distancing then they are delusional. Said It from the beginning with the lockdowns - why should i sacrifice my kids’ and my activities and enjoyment only for 14 people crammed into a Gulfton apartment meant for 4 people to undo anything I’ve done to contribute to limiting the spread?

I’ve noticed there is always some implication that Trump/MAGA/white people are the ones not complying and causing virus spread when in reality it’s the opposite.

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    you’re dumb. both families I mentioned above are Hispanic. menso.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3514 CeltTexan, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    This is so false I do not know where to start.
    At Wisdom (Lee), we had families and thus their children, our students, from over 42 different nations and most of them did not have the most complete of all vaccination records upon arrival to our shores, i.e. then enrolling in the local public schools.

I do not know. Good question however.

15. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celt, I don't have school age kids (yet) so I'm working on information I've heard from other parents. I did a quick search on HISD website and found this doc from the state which states: "A student shall show acceptable evidence of vaccination prior to entry, attendance, or transfer to a child-care facility or public or private elementary or secondary school in Texas"

https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/TX01001591/Centricity/Domain/40460/Medical Forms.pdf

I don't know what the school district takes as "acceptable evidence" but seems there should be some proof. It's my understanding there is a minimum requirement from the state for vaccines.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a minimum requirement, but it is for traditional vaccines developed over years not EUA experimental products. This “vaccine” is more like a flu shot at best in terms of effectiveness.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! Maybe he needs a 3rd mask to retain whatever credibility he has left

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find. Perhaps I should have aimed my previous post at what is indeed State policy compared with what occurs at an inner city high school daily as I have lived it.
    I am sure that there is a State wide policy on this specific medical issue as handed down from Austin. However, where the rubber meets the road here in Houston, the largest school district in our State, and one of the largest in the nation for that matter, the situation becomes more gray. Like charcoal gray.
    Also, how does a new immigrant family get all their children properly vaccinated per State code regs, when they barely have the money to pay next month's rent. A trip the doctor's office, as we all know, ain't cheap.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every school asks for updates vaccination records each year but is HISD turning away kids not even here legally, much less with medical records? Doubtful.

20. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Title 25 of the Texas Admin Code 97.62
    Exclusions from compliance are allowable on an individual basis for medical contraindications, reasons of conscience, including a religious belief, and active duty with the armed forces of the United States. Children and students in these categories must submit evidence for exclusion from compliance as specified in the Health and Safety Code, §161.004(d), Health and Safety Code, §161.0041, Education Code, Chapter 38, Education Code, Chapter 51, and the Human Resources Code, Chapter 42.

Reasons of conscience and religious belief are the main reason people refuse to vaccinate. A school cannot refuse the child if the parent files the exemption.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    If people have the right to say no to vaccines we never get to herd immunity and this never goes away. The herd immunity number is like 75-80% sick or vaccinated. I hear 33% of Texans might refuse. Do the math and see how it doesn't work.

To be clear, you don't go to primary or secondary school without certain vaccinations or a recognized excuse. You couldn't go to my college decades ago without a negative TB test. You are encouraged or required to take a set of vaccines to take employment in certain foreign countries.

Sorry but public health should not be "opt-in." This country's covid numbers are a joke. I listen to an Australian covid podcast and they have so few cases they can actually identify an outbreak. This is the "thai restaurant cluster." We have let this way out of control and it's because we allow things to be run on dysfunctional federalized or voluntary models. Few others are that stupid. Few others have our numbers. You cannot handle a pandemic on libertarian principles. Last year we tried and the results are what they are.

Y'all act like you want this over and no more lockdowns etc. You don't get your cake and eat it too. If you want this over we have to actively do things including vaccinate people. Otherwise this will drag on for years or decades.

Side point, the herd immunity obsessed GOP doesn't seem to get that this virus will mutate every x number replications and that chasing "herd" by neglect gets more people sick and gets you to mutation events faster. At which point each time you are risking antibody escape ie the virus you are encouraging to mutate, mutates out of the vaccine.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Along those lines, in 1918 we had mask laws enforced by criminal sentencing. People can and did get a week in the slammer for refusing. I don't get how that suddenly became less constitutional or that in 100 years of scientific growth we have somehow gotten dumber. They didn't even have penicillin yet.

Under traditional GOP values public health enforcement would have been understood as akin to wartime measures. Necessary to the survival of the state and the people. There is no economy without health.

I am also sorry but there is a massive gap between where we are and communist China or the USSR of old. Having government do a tiny bit more would make us "UK" or "Canada," not Venezuela or China. Most people who live in the first set are quite happy.

Government can tell you to vaccinate and wear a mask and stay home, or it cannot provide for its own survival. Just like if we don't punish insurrectionists we probably won't have a stable government for long.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you make no sense because with all of the alleged variants you will never be able to vaccinate out of it - just like the flu

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Australia is doing lockdowns and isolations if they have one case. They are trying to avoid cases and keep people well. Australia has like 30k cases and 900 dead. Total. That's like part of one day here now.

We are treating covid as a cost of doing business -- and the cost is very high -- 400k plus. We are headed towards 1918 numbers despite a less deadly virus and modern medicine. What a joke.

If you ever took a class on the subject you'd see we will be taught as the "how not to do it" example. Only in the Fox bubble do people think otherwise. In terms of the rest of the world, we are a joke.

I could even get individualized responsibility to protect yourself in your own way but in this country that's instead widespread denialism and do-nothing-ism. The GOP used to be about personal responsibility but as they shift to the high school educated voter seems to be more about the freedom to be stupid. They then knock minorities for misbehaving while licensing their white redneck base to be no more law abiding or responsible. What is the categorical moral basis for talking sh*t about others' morals and criminality if no rules apply to you?