News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yes, please!

can we also keep the “lesbians are trying to brainwash my children” to this thread? so that when I click on the Dash thread, I can actually read about the Dash.

Dash the fck on!!!

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox vs. MSNBC is hella funny Seven! Hahaha!!! Way to nail it!

I don't know who to feel more sorry for, our Coach for having to still see him on his roster, to witness Ceren being called up by the Sallie NT when International dates come around. He is no where near club starter much less a National Team pool player. Perhaps the Sallies are hurtin' for footballers these days. For their size, they used to be tops in CONCACAF from a certain point of view.

7seven7 repped this.
  3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #2778 juvechelsea, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    I don’t watch MSNBC. I realize it’s confusing but this is informed vs Fox.

You will figure this out soon now that El Jefe is starting to adopt some common sense to try and save more people and his job. His People aren’t going to know what to do between Old Orthodoxy and New Platform. The boss is now for masks and some measures, and against rallies and conventions. They will become holier than thou on masks soon as they cannot just take our position, they have to be more correct about it somehow for cognitive dissonance purposes.

At some point people will realize everything is not Pepsi vs Coke, style choice, religion, that there are some right answers.

I am fine with creating its own thread.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2780 nbrooks503, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Westside Cosmo repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @juvechelsea , I found your lockdown religion - follow Andy Slavitt for his “weld you in your homes until October” plan!

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    HISTORY

MLS CUPS

LAG 5
    DCU 4
    SEA 2
    SKC 2
    HOU 2
    SJE 2
    ATL 1
    CHI 1
    TOR 1
    COL 1
    CLB 1
    POR 1
    RSL 1
    NER 0
    FCD 0
    NYRB 0
    VAN 0
    LAFC 0
    MINN 0
    CIN 0
    NASH 0
    MTL 0
    NYC 0
    PHL 0
    MIA 0
    ORL 0

MLS CUPS LAST 10 YEARS

LAG 3
    SEA 2
    SKC 1
    ATL 1
    TOR 1
    COL 1
    POR 1
    DCU 0
    HOU 0
    SJE 0
    CHI 0
    CLB 0
    RSL 0
    NER 0
    FCD 0
    NYRB 0
    VAN 0
    LAFC 0
    MINN 0
    CIN 0
    NASH 0
    MTL 0
    NYC 0
    PHL 0
    MIA 0
    ORL 0

FINALS APPEARANCES LAST 10 YEARS

LAG 3
    SEA 3
    TOR 3
    POR 2
    HOU 2
    COL 1
    CLB 1
    RSL 1
    NER 1
    FCD 1
    SKC 1
    ATL 1
    DCU 0
    SJE 0
    CHI 0
    NYRB 0
    VAN 0
    LAFC 0
    MINN 0
    CIN 0
    NASH 0
    MTL 0
    NYC 0
    PHL 0
    MIA 0
    ORL 0

FINALS APPEARANCES LAST 5 YEARS

SEA 3
    TOR 3
    POR 2
    CLB 1
    ATL 1
    LAG 0
    RSL 0
    NER 0
    FCD 0
    SKC 0
    HOU 0
    COL 0
    DCU 0
    SJE 0
    CHI 0
    NYRB 0
    VAN 0
    LAFC 0
    MINN 0
    CIN 0
    NASH 0
    MTL 0
    NYC 0
    PHL 0
    MIA 0
    ORL 0

PLAYOFF APPEARANCES LAST 10 YEARS

SEA 10
    NYRB 10
    LAG 8
    RSL 8
    SKC 8
    FCD 7
    DCU 6
    CLB 6
    POR 5
    TOR 4
    NER 4
    HOU 4
    COL 4
    VAN 4
    PHL 4
    MTL 3
    NYC 3
    ATL 3
    SJE 3
    CHI 2
    LAFC 2
    MINN 1
    CIN 0
    NASH 0
    MIA 0
    ORL 0

PLAYOFF APPEARANCES LAST 5 YEARS

SEA 5
    NYRB 5
    TOR 4
    POR 4
    FCD 4
    SKC 4
    DCU 4
    CLB 3
    ATL 3
    LAG 3
    RSL 3
    NYC 3
    PHL 3
    NER 2
    VAN 2
    LAFC 2
    MTL 2
    HOU 1
    COL 1
    SJE 1
    CHI 1
    MINN 1
    CIN 0
    NASH 0
    MIA 0
    ORL 0

SALARIES

TOR $24.5 million
    LAG $20.5 million
    CHI $19 million
    LAFC $14.37 million
    SEA $14 million
    MTL $13.1 million
    ATL $13 million
    SKC $12.21 million
    POR $12 million
    NER $11.27 million
    COL $11.25 million
    NYC $10.95 million
    DCU $10.91 million
    ORL $10.6 million
    NASH $10.6 million
    RSL $10.1 million
    MIA $10 million
    NYRB $10 million
    CIN $9.44 million
    SJE $9.25 million
    FCD $9.15 million
    MINN $9.12 million
    COL $9 million
    PHL $8.88 million
    HOU $8.8 million
    VAN $8.5 million

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    personally i'd like it if the mods gave "2020 season" and "pandemic talk" each their own thread, because i do think that a conversation that begins in relation to that season -- that public health policy affects where, how, and if soccer can be played -- wanders from it.

the short answer to your argument is it actually says more about your point than mine. in June spain bottomed out at 167 cases on one day. and if you have that few cases you can actually trace the sick people and essentially box the problem into houses or workplaces or neighborhoods. you don't like what australia did with victoria but trying to hem it into one place while the others can move about, is preferable to no security anywhere, like here. we don't know who has it and have no locational security that cities, states, regions are relatively safe.

spain came under pressure to open up vacation holiday visits and is paying for caving into the economically minded. there are places like hawaii that took some measures and still aren't open. it does risk having sick outsiders come in or putting sick locals among masses of potential susceptibles.

their idea of a spike, btw is 4600 cases in a day. yes, against that context the UK with 767 cases a day might say don't come or quarantine.

to be clear, i have been touting more like new zealand or taiwan, it's odd you act like i am pro-spain somehow for never mentioning them. spain responded to getting the disease kind of under control after serious problems, by opening up to vacationers. that's more like texas or florida. that's your theory of getting right back to business. you're acting like i am pro your approach which by now everyone knows is a "no." you won't catch me touting that approach. what the kiwis have done is put up hard border controls early before they had many cases, kept their numbers down, contact traced for real, and not caved into the economics-obsessed and opened the borders back up.

fwiw we haven't been in the low hundreds or thousands like spain is, since march. we in texas have more cases than spain does a day. your argument reeks of republicans wanting to pretend nothing works but never discussing the countries actually doing great jobs.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #2784 juvechelsea, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    look up new zealand and covid on google and then go under statistics. we're talking usually zero cases most days, occasionally 1-2 people and always "imported." they have so few cases they can track their new cases, put them under strict quarantine -- none of our pretend, honors system, maybe you go out and get groceries or lunch with everyone else nonsense -- and they can trace and test everyone you encountered. a key aspect is they closed down their borders early and hard and have not reopened.

they continue to test, but contrary to defeatist american assumptions, if you are doing your job well, more testing doesn't necessarily logically mean more positives. they all come back clear most days.

similarly, while the pretense is that lockdowns are economically apocalyptic, it's the countries that handed their people money directly and closed down tight that can reopen with fewer restrictions. it's the countries like us that have to theorize how to run an economy with sick people everywhere that are not identified and traced, and whose half baked first lockdowns resulting in high cases leave them not sure they can afford another one, even though they never fully committed the first time. meanwhile we have probably the worst pandemic unemployment in the industrial world but pretend we are onto some balancing act secret. as with the testing which we are told to assume is just what happens when you test.

i understand that some see these choices as political ones. however some choices are working very well and others are not. our numbers right now are similar to emerging markets like brazil or russia, between industrial and third world. to the extent we are similar to industrial countries it's messes like UK, sweden, italy.

we have 11% unemployment but somehow cannot produce enough tests or people to read them in timely fashion. go tell that to the people who produced bombers for WW2.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...eamer-ian-hoffmann-youth-revolution-continues
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/ian-hoffmann/profil/spieler/469852

On a USMNT thread I started for dual nationals, I remember someone mentioning this kid, who is eligible for the US and Germany, though I believe he has only appeared for the USYNT, where he is a rising U20. Has been at Karlsruher's academy where he had some success in an U19 regional league. Looks like a mid. Will go to RGV for the balance of the season and as of January 2021 is signed to the senior team, though who knows what that means for the accumulating pile of 2021 signings in practice.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is listed as a middie and defender, which usually means he can play several positions, and specifically for us one would hope that would be outside back!

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    again, i don't think we should be playing but

curious thing is, this is the MLS is Back tournament and we're deep into the event with no announcement what is next, where/how

most teams are eliminated and we have no scheduled games

you'd think they'd have long since announced something to keep their momentum going

if florida is the problem there are other places to go eg Utah where they just had NWSL

odd

13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a good point. this whole thing ends in 2 weeks and we haven't heard a peep. Good news is that all locations are free and there will be no scheduling conflicts. Bad news is that i don't see how stadiums get staff on site to run events--whether fans are there or not--in such a short period of time.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is about the USL. - Easy for those with no skin in the game to tell businesses to shut it all down based upon positive Covid tests.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judge Hidalgo doesn’t look like she is social distancing here, huh?

1288972365381197824 is not a valid tweet id

16. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious how many times the people on that stage have been tested for COVID? Do you really think there is a big risk for infection on that stage? Michael Berry's total objective comparison to funerals and schools makes alot of sense after all he's comparing apples to apples, right?

*rey* repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dash players clearly partied, drank Budweiser out of a cup. If you are gonna start making all sorts of social and economic judgements on crowds and which ones you should allow, by all means let’s open things up and then see what happens when you tell TSU kids they can’t have a party

18. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    why TSU here? Why not UH or Rice or HBU?

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I earlier theorized that MLS Is Not Quite Back. Noting that it's odd that a league that Is Truly Back would not immediately capitalize and announce their plans for the rest of the season. But I had also noted back when Covid started that upon return you had the potential that everything being postponed could mean that all sports are suddenly all coming back at once, along with NFL that was done and has its turn coming up.

So, what's a network to do with Too Much Sports? Did MLS grab the initial spotlight by the tournament but then concede it once hoops and baseball started the full season? Have we been encouraged to become a Fall Sport?

What I am looking at is baseball playing through September, then playoffs where room opens up to showing games, NBA through mid-August then playoffs. MLS usually long outlasts them with a season through October and then knockouts. So have we explicitly or implicitly made a deal to come in after them and fit in among college football and NFL, late August, September?

Play x amount of games, some sort of reworked tournament, end?

Or maybe play into the winter mirroring football?

Personally I'd still want that announced to keep interest up. But maybe we're waiting.

Just a thought. Maybe they feel guilty about announcing we're back -- unwittingly -- and are backpedalling slowly to -- we'll be back in a few. We didn't know what the others would do, and we didn't commit to a full league when we did it.

[Or maybe we could have a series of tournaments, and the next one could be a period of time off. If it's just tournaments then you can send sick teams home each time.]

[Fwiw baseball and USL and everyone trying to be a travel league are imploding. 4 baseball games PP'd today. What happens to competition integrity if you propose an elaborated schedule and teams can't fulfill games?]

[For that matter we showed the bubble is only as safe as who you send to it.]

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #2796 juvechelsea, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    What you're missing re the Dash is they were bubbled -- in Utah, no less -- probably being tested all the time, and partying with each other. It's still theoretically risky, yes, someone could have snuck out, but Utah shrinks those odds, and they won a trophy. They are also celebrating at the end of an event whose nature is to last longer than the infection period. Even if they showed up asymptomatic and got sick they would already be positive and gone.

That's a little different than a frat kegger for no special reason where maybe they have been tested, maybe not, and if so, probably not since they showed up for class, and kids are free to drive in and off campus, tens of thousands, mixing with the surrounding surge population. Or sending kids back to school. Hundreds of kids at a party, maybe masked, maybe not?

One is an actual out of control recipe for disaster. The other is like when we would go to the big club travel soccer tournaments at the end of HS and in our first college summers, and our parents would buy us a couple cases of beer as long as we stayed in the rooms. A party in the locker room is similarly probably the most controlled celebration one could have. They control how much beer, who is allowed in, etc. OK, just staff, players, coaches, all been tested.

Sorry, no comparison to an on campus kegger with everyone on campus no matter when they were tested and maybe some townies or friends get in a well, etc. Like a hell on wheels version of letting them on campus at all.

[FWIW My theory on schools is those paying attention will note that Harvard is all distance and the Ivies are not playing fall sports. St. John's School -- where my monied cousin went -- is all distance learning. The wealthy are generally not going to risk their children. It is the same unwashed who fought on masks whose second or third or fourth effort at stupidity in this pandemic is let's open up local schools and colleges live. After they told us this was a hoax, opened economies when the virus numbers barely started dropping, and resisted masks or any other measures. Stop and tell me when they get one of these right.

They then compare a party in a bubble to a kegger on campus without a hint of irony.

Just like the most popular major at Yale is history, but the middle and lower class masses want their kids to have practical majors, and want humanities departments defunded, ensuring their kids replicate their life as a middle class business major suburban drone. They then complain why every humanities department seems to be a bunch of liberals and moderates. If you're 10% of the graduate students you're not going to be half the faculty. You can't teach what you don't major in.......]

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ I don’t know if you have kids or not but I surely wouldn’t want to be your kid man what a horrible life it’s going to be living with somebody who pisses on everything else that is positive in the world

Then again since you’ll never leave your house I’m not sure who’s going to deliver the baby anyways

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey @juvechelsea , I think Australia is the place for you, hard core lockdowns !! Can’t even go outside!! How cool is that!! No virus but everyone in a prison for 6 weeks!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/o...onavirus-cases-spike-2020-08-02?siteid=yhoof2

23. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Personally, I would love for MLS to be more of a fall/winter league. But I doubt our friends up north feel the same.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I mean one thing that occurred to me yesterday was that to accumulate a decent number of games then finish "on time" you would need to start now. Which you might as well have already announced to maintain momentum. I mean, MLS is Back is scheduled for a final on 8/11. Assuming they restarted league, and would allow no league games to steal tournament thunder, our first possible games would be 8/15. That would give you two months' gamedays. If you wait until Labor Day, 6 weeks. That's not a lot of games unless you double book.

Unless you extend the regular season deeper in the fall, truncate the postseason, or play everything out deeper into the year. Then you can play more games but within a different time period than usual. But if we just pick up at Labor Day and end mid October that's, what, 8 games? But if you play deeper into the year you risk the theorized "second wave" taking a truncheon to the knees of your longer season midstream. There is something to be said for play x amount of games, start now, end October or perhaps sooner, play one game rounds, get in, get out, finish a season, declare a champion, go home.

I agree that one thing the "traditional schedule" sorts have never really considered -- and that pushing deeper in the year or perhaps paralleling football would trigger -- is playing outdoors at the northern sites in the winter.

Personally I think the whole thing is nuts but they might consider finishing it in the bubble.

But the Channel 11 deal suggests they instead are planning on a more MLB style home and away approach with empty stadia. There is little point to that deal if we're playing on national TV at Disney for a few more weeks and some playoffs.

There presumably will be no USOC completed this calendar year. They "suspended" in March, never restarted, and technically never announced anything since. By this time of the year you would be losing the college kids from the lower rung pro and amateur teams. You could skip ahead rounds to the fully professional sides but this would cause sporting integrity complaints about eliminating the smaller sides without losing a game. So my guess is that tourney evaporates. They could maybe try next year depending what the virus is doing then.

People think I am complaining to complain but the issues we're discussing this year will be the issues we're discussing next year if nothing different is done.